Grade D Oesophagitis

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Grade D Oesophagitis

Postby choran83 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:30 pm

I was diagnosed 2 and half years ago as having grade D oesophagitis on Endoscopy and commenced on PPI's (Rabeprazole sodium) daily. I asked how long I had to take it and the Gastroenterologist told me I would be on it for the rest of my life. After about 15 months of getting renewal prescriptions, my local doctor said to cut the tablets down to 1 tablet every 2nd or 3rd day, which I try to do but the feeling of "choking" and heartburn return by the end of the 2nd or beginning of the 3rd day. I eat a total WFPB no oil diet, but still need to lose weight and I really hope to be able to stop these wretched tablets completely, but I cannot tolerate this awful choking sensation when I eat. A follow-up Endoscopy after 12 months of taking the PPI's showed dramatic improvement - almost as if I never had oesophagitis at all. So do I continue with the tablets, knowing the risks of long-term use, or is there another way to help my poor old oesophagus. I'm 67 years of age.
choran83

Re: Grade D Oesophagitis

Postby Vegankit » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:08 pm

Have you tried dr McDougall’s elimination diet (ED). I’m sensitive to several foods and I have celiacs disease. Eating anything with gluten gives me the worst heartburn burn. I’m wondering if you are reacting to a food you eat regularly.

The ED isn’t easy to do but you might find it will help you overcome your oesophagitis. I’m not sure but I believe Your medication is one that you need to wean off and not stop immediately. I would check with your dr as you find relief on the ED on how to handle your medication.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Return to Health Issues