Liver Disease, Hepatitis, and Liver Failure

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Liver Disease, Hepatitis, and Liver Failure

Postby ScottThrelkeld » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:12 am

In Dr. McDougall's discussion "Liver Disease, Hepatitis, and Liver Failure," I'm understanding everything until is this line of note:

"Because all foods are naturally plentiful in protein it is often necessary to make-up as much as half the diet from “empty calories” foods in the form of simple sugars such as white sugar or corn syrup in order to dilute the protein content of the starches, vegetables and fruits to a tolerable level."

Can you translate? What would this look like, how would this be implemented in a WFPB diet turned 50-50 percent WFPB/Sugar diet?

I have cirrhosis from Hepatitis C, which has been cured, and non-alcoholic fatty liver. Doctor says I need to lose weight.

Fifty-percent sugar with all that plant-based food sounds pretty yucky.

In practice, how does this advice play out? Any recipes with a sugar boost? Sugar with my coffee, a Coke with every meal, daily Tony Tiger? What does Dr. McDougall mean as to putting this information into action?

Thanks for your help,

Scott
ScottThrelkeld

Re: Liver Disease, Hepatitis, and Liver Failure

Postby Vegankit » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:31 pm

Hi Scott.

I was diagnosed with non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) which is similar to non-alcoholic fatty liver but also includes liver inflammation before I changed to this way of eating. NASH is more serious than Non-alcoholic fatty liver. All I did was follow Dr. McDougall’s program 100% and my liver went back to normal, proven by follow up blood work. Yours will too. Since you have to lose weight you might want to consider the Maximum Weight loss version which will help you lose weight faster. You will lose weight and heal your liver on either the regular or MWL plan.

Replacing food with sugar to reduce protein is only for patients who have the most serious liver disease and are near in or in liver failure. That’s not you. Non-alcoholic fatty liver is the earliest stage of liver damage and doesn’t require eating sugar. By following Dr. McDougall’s recommendation, including to limit beans you will naturally and easily cut back your protein to a healthy level. You’ll get the protein you need without excess that taxes the liver and kidneys. And limit your fruit (2 a day) to that of MWL so you limit the fructose while your liver is healing.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Return to Health Issues