Colonoscopies for people with Ulcerative Colitis?

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Colonoscopies for people with Ulcerative Colitis?

Postby working at it » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:09 pm

I am asking this question for my 64 year old sister, who has had Ulcerative Colitis since she was in her early 20s. She is currently having a flare up, and is looking for advice. Her doctors always want her to have a colonoscopy when the UC is active, and it is EXTREMELY painful for her. In her situation would one of the non-invasive tests be appropriate?

Thanks for the help!
working at it

Re: Colonoscopies for people with Ulcerative Colitis?

Postby darad » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:45 pm

After having a flare 20 years prior, my gastro doc finally admitted that diet DOES have an influence (i.e. a plant diet can be better, versus zero effect as he and others had flatly stated for years). She might try the McD dietary approach, and hopefully rid of those cell structures that cause auto-immune response. I suspect there are no studies to prove. Goal is to return to a clean shiny state with no signs of prior history. Of course, the doc is looking for potentially cancerous polyps or other signs requiring immediate action.
darad

Postby nicoles » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:31 pm

working at it wrote:I am asking this question for my 64 year old sister, who has had Ulcerative Colitis since she was in her early 20s. She is currently having a flare up, and is looking for advice. Her doctors always want her to have a colonoscopy when the UC is active, and it is EXTREMELY painful for her. In her situation would one of the non-invasive tests be appropriate?

Thanks for the help!

Does she eat SAD or plant based?
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby working at it » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:56 pm

Well, she eats some SAD foods. I thought she would do better on WFPB, but then I saw a brief video by Pam Popper, in which she ways that some people with UC have such poor ability to absorb nutrients that she recommends some fish or organic meat 1 or 2 times per week; surprised me.
working at it

Return to Health Issues