Really smelly gas! Help!

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Really smelly gas! Help!

Postby TJ81 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:03 pm

My daughter-in-law has been complaining about really smelly gas and painful gas pains. She has been eating WFPB most of the time but does eat some vegan and when eating out, gets food with oil in it. She isn't sure what is causing the smelly, painful gas but is thinking it might be soy. The other thing that gives her trouble is beans. Does anyone else experience painful, smelly gas? What can I suggest to help her?

Thank you!
TJ81

Re: Really smelly gas! Help!

Postby Drew_ab » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:37 pm

Raw veggies can specifically cause some people problems as can certain foods like onion/garlic. Then again so can high sulfur foods like beans and cruciferous veggies, though most people will adapt in time. For some people who cannot seem to handle moderate quantities of these foods, even when given months to adapt, they could consider limiting them. There is no requirement for any single food that may be causing distress. Other things too can be a variable like coffee consumption or allergies including wheat or soy.
Drew_ab

Postby Idgie » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:41 pm

For me and my partner, it was soy. I am less sensitive than my partner is, but we both had it clear up immediately when we went soy-free. Everyone's different, though.
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby kirkj » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:26 pm

I can eat beans when they are just part of a dish, but they bother me if I eat anything that is primarily beans. I've checked with CRON-O-METER and always have plenty of protein in my diet even when I don't eat any, so they're not necessary.
kirkj

Postby TJ81 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:03 pm

Thank you for the advice. I will share with her and see if she can get relief.
TJ81

Postby JeffN » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:12 pm

TJ81 wrote:My daughter-in-law has been complaining about really smelly gas and painful gas pains. She has been eating WFPB most of the time but does eat some vegan and when eating out, gets food with oil in it. She isn't sure what is causing the smelly, painful gas but is thinking it might be soy. The other thing that gives her trouble is beans. Does anyone else experience painful, smelly gas? What can I suggest to help her?

Thank you!

Here you go

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=10054&p=76842#p76842

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Health Issues