Joint Pain!

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Joint Pain!

Postby peggywing » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:41 pm

Need help! I have been following a plant based diet for over a year...yet have hip pain constantly. Wonder if it could be the oats I eat every day or sugar in the kombucha.....it's a stretch but what can I eliminate. Feel it is inflammation coming from somewhere!
peggywing

Re: Joint Pain!

Postby Lyndzie » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:35 pm

I have found that nutritional yeast is a problem for me. Also, no dairy, which is obviously not part of this way of eating, but worth a mention. It’s fairly easy if you have it narrowed down to a few supspect foods to eliminate one for a while and see if symptoms improve. I’d be surprised if it was the kombucha, but you never know. Good luck!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Flo73 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:20 am

If you suspect those two are the culprits, just eliminate them for a while and see if it gets better. Oats and tomatoes give me an allergic reaction in form of pimples. Spinach and cruciferous, too, though it takes them more days to show up.
Flo73

Postby haze5736 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:02 am

I've been trying to figure out this very same thing for over two and a half years. I have pain in my left shoulder, right hip/groin and knees. I've had the pain for at least 8 years. I tried an elimination diet for two weeks but could not go further than that and didn't see any improvement when eating only brown rice, sweet potato and some green veggies.

I also tried physical therapy, chiropractor, massage therapy and Egoscue Therapy. The only thing that has help a little is the Egoscue therapy. I have been doing it for 8 months, however I have not seen the "miracle" results that so many people testify to. The weird part is that I have better days sometimes then I go back to full pain levels like this past week.

I know this doesn't help you but I figured I'd chime in and watch this thread in case you figure something out.
haze5736

Postby Bkworm » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:57 pm

Dealing with RA I do identify with the joint pain issues. After six months pain-free following this way of eating back in 2013 I started experiencing joint pain again. Went on an elimination diet for about six months. Found that rice and oats were causing the problem, even those specifically gluten free. Main thing I learned from the elimination diet is that all foods, no matter what they are, are suspect until you proven otherwise for your body. I had always eaten both rice and oats all my life until my body decided to reject them. Also discovered several other foods, such as citrus, which are a problem now. An elimination diet can be difficult to follow long term but well worth the effort as far as I am concerned.

I ate several compliant foods over the holidays that my body no longer accepts and am paying the price right now. Just so thankful to know that going back to eating what my body accepts will clear up the problem. As far as I am concerned, this way of eating is nothing short of a miracle for my body and dealing with RA. Have managed to avoid all meds for the RA so far.

Good luck on your journey to discover the foods that your body accepts.
Bkworm

Postby draperbr » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:37 pm

I would definitely have a doctor check it out already if you haven't already. If you are having joint pain and it's due to severe osteoarthritis, you maybe just down to bone on bone contact, and no diet that I'm aware of will regenerate cartridge. I have/had severe osteoarthritis in my left hip and both of my knees. Switching over to a WFPB diet and losing 180+ lbs definitely relieved some of the pain in my knees, but did nothing for my hip. I had the hip replaced, and that did the trick. I still have limited mobility in my knees, and get stiffness and swelling if I walk long distances, but it is no where near as painful as it was in the past, but I will never get rid of the pain through diet alone. Too far gone.
draperbr

Postby LuckyMomma » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:59 pm

Joint pain can simply be tight muscles. I didnt exercise very much before and suffered from hip and shoulder pain for years until I decided to do something about it. I stretch out the tight muscles every night. Do what you can do to loosen things up. Use foam rollers, hard balls, big exercise balls, lift dumbbells, rolled up yoga mat. Stretch out the entire back and legs. My hip pain was related to tight muscles in my leg, butt, waist, back. No hip pain when I eat no sugar, no processed, low glycemic foods, and stretched and exercised.
LuckyMomma

Postby Wonderbugg » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:39 pm

Dr McDougall has a webinar about no oil.
He says oil causes arthritis flare ups.
His webinars are on you tube.
Wonderbugg

Postby abit » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:04 pm

:-D
abit

Return to Health Issues