Grains causing elevated cholesterol?

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Grains causing elevated cholesterol?

Postby GeorgiaBuck » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:22 pm

I recently came across this idea and I was hoping to get some more feedback. While on a wfpb diet, is it possible for grains to cause elevated cholesterol? I was told if that is the case that those people should try just using potatoes as their starch and see if there is any changes. Has anyone else ever heard of this concept?
GeorgiaBuck

Re: Grains causing elevated cholesterol?

Postby Lyndzie » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:29 pm

Where did you get this information?
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby GeorgiaBuck » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:44 pm

I was discussing my recent labs with a friend of mine and he mentioned it to me. I tried doing a search online but couldn't find any relation between grains and cholesterol but did see some info on gluten and cholesterol. Maybe that is what he was referring to?
GeorgiaBuck

Postby Lyndzie » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:47 pm

There is so much info out there, it’s hard to figure out which end is up! I’ve never heard of a link between grains and cholesterol.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby MINNIE » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:54 am

I haven't read or heard of that either. But, if you eat your grains with butter or other fats, it's probably true:).

The best way to find out for sure is to eat whole grains w/o added fat and see what happens:).
MINNIE

Postby GeorgiaBuck » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:13 pm

Hey Minnie. Thanks for the reply. That is what actually prompted the conversation with my buddy. I have been on a wfpb diet since October 1 and when I had my lab work done (Nov 28th), everything looked great except for cholesterol. Total was 243, ldl was 175, cdl was 43 and triglycerides were 89. This was on a strict wfpb diet of no oils and no animal products. I did splurge on a handful of nuts each day and most days had black coffee. Through those results and the discussion with my buddy, it led me to think one of three things may be possible for me:
1. Maybe the gluten/grains I was eating was a contributing factor (however most of my whole grains are either brown rice/steel cut oats/or whole grain pastas. Through the last two months I have probably had 10 slices of homemade whole wheat bread.
2. Maybe the nuts, unsweetened almond milk, and black coffee was a contributing factor
3. Maybe the recent weight loss (went from 200-179 over this same period) left some fats still circulating in my blood.
4. Maybe I am just predisposed to elevated cholesterol through my genes (elevated cholesterol does run in the family but haven't heard of any levels to make me think it is fh.

I was posting here to hopefully help me narrow this down a little more (if it is possible). As of now, my plan for the next month is to eliminate all nuts/nut milk and coffee and see where it goes. Thank you all for reading!
GeorgiaBuck

Postby LuckyMomma » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:28 pm

When I lose fat, my cholesterol goes up. It’s not uncommon for people to have raised cholesterol while losing fat. Stay the course and it will normalize.
LuckyMomma

Postby Lyndzie » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:37 pm

Of the things you’ve listed, I have heard of nuts and coffee increasing cholesterol. But not grains.

Sounds like you have a pretty solid plan!
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Atheria » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:01 pm

I've tested it on myself, and UNFILTERED coffee (French press, i.e.) will raise cholesterol...if, by chance, that is how you make your coffee. Like others mentioned, weight loss will also temporarily spike cholesterol in some people.

Atheria
~ ATHERIA ~
www.bridge4spirit.wordpress.com
Atheria

Postby GeorgiaBuck » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:21 am

Hey everyone so I have some updated lab results from 12/10/2018. During these two weeks I eliminated coffee, nuts, plant milk, and maintained the rest of the wfpb no oils eating plan.
Total 228
Ldl 169
Hdl 38
Tri 94

Overall still high but at least it seems to be headed in the right direction? Anyone have any stories of it taking a while to lower their cholesterol this way? It seems that would make sense since I have been eating poorly most of my life.

Also, it also dinged at being high in uric acid. The scale was 4.0-8.0 and mine was at 8.1. I thought that was mostly triggered by meats and fats which I am not eating at all. Is there another source of uric acid? Maybe beans? Thanks again for your time!
GeorgiaBuck

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:19 am

Give yourself time. You are on the right path. Congrats on your first two weeks!
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby PJK » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:56 am

Re BEANS - yes, too much of them can contribute to high uric acid ... and that can lead to gout.

To help with this, Dr. McD recommends that we eat no more than 1 cup of beans a day.

For uric acid, you want 6.0 or lower (but not too low, either). Good luck!
PJK

Postby GeorgiaBuck » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:50 pm

Thank you for the replies. I was definitely eating more than 1 cup per day, I guess I missed that guideline. I am going to check my levels again in January so I love to hear new ideas to try out. Thanks again!
GeorgiaBuck

Postby viv » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:04 pm

You may be predisposed to high cholesterol. I have been McDougalling for 6 years, lost 60 pounds and I am fit and healthy. However my last TC cholesterol was 200. I have hypothyroidism controlled with meds, which can increase TC. I also have a daily coffee. But I'm not hyperventilating over it, I know what I eat, and I'm enjoying life.

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby LibbyinIsrael » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:45 am

Dr. Klapper has a very convincing explanation as to why long-term WFPB eaters don't need to worry about their cholesterol numbers. He explained it to me on the phone and then sent me a recent 22 minute film he made about cholesterol, which includes that angle of this subject from minute 18.
I'm sorry I don't know how to attach it here!
LibbyinIsrael

Next

Return to Health Issues