Protein

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Protein

Postby catalina1 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:22 pm

I read an article by an author who is a vegan fruitarian. The subject was on high protein versus low protein vegan diets. He said that he has tried both and found a high-protein diet to be vastly superior. He stated he lost more weight, had more endurance, was able to lift more weight and had more energy overall. He said there are a lot of articles and scientific research, which he provided in his footnotes, although I did not read them , to verify his theory. I have not read the footnotes myself but I guess I can provide them if anybody request them. The second question I have is about another author who is a Ketone vegetarian advocate. He said that one Ketone in particular, beta hydroxybutyrate, is vastly superior for human beings. He stated this substance has beneficial effects, in that it is the number one natural weight loss substance in the human died ( burns more fat )and Is also the greatest suppressor of inflammation in the human diet. What is going on here? Are protein diets, ever going to disappear? And how does everybody feel about a high carbohydrate diet versus a lower protein higher carbohydrate diet.
catalina1

Re: Protein

Postby Sonia Raga » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:39 am

Hi Catalina,

I´ve the feeling this discussion never comes to an end. From my point of view, the easiest way to get to a simple conclusion is by looking at the life expectancy of the different populations in history. The so called "Blue Zones", with the highest number of centenarians have one thing in common: all of them got most of their calories from plants and were definitely not high in protein. Defending the keto diet by relying on one single nutrient or compound is a reductionist approach. Considering all the adverse effects of a keto diet on health and the consequences of following such a diet for the environment, there´s no reason to advocate for it. The day there´s evidence that this kind of diet can prevent or reverse heart disease instead of worsening it, then we might reconsider it but that is not likely to happen. The scientific evidence is pretty strong: dietetic saturated fat and cholesterol raise plasma cholesterol levels which leads to heart disease. So there is no way a high fat diet can ever be a healthy diet.
Spaniard. "Those who want to change, find how to. Those who don´t, find excuses." Vegan, oil-free recipes:
http://www.thebrightbird.com
Sonia Raga

Postby Lyndzie » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:54 am

Well said, Sonia.

In addition, the diet recommended by Dr. McDougall isn’t really about “high” or “low” anything. It’s about adequate and appropriate. It’s about nourishing the body and health.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:24 am

Sonia Raga wrote:Hi Catalina,

I´ve the feeling this discussion never comes to an end. From my point of view, the easiest way to get to a simple conclusion is by looking at the life expectancy of the different populations in history. The so called "Blue Zones", with the highest number of centenarians have one thing in common: all of them got most of their calories from plants and were definitely not high in protein.

And those plants are not mostly fruit but....potatoes, sweet potatoes, whole grains, and beans/legumes.
GeoffreyLevens

Return to Health Issues