Brogan MD article: Could the flu shot make you depressed?

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Brogan MD article: Could the flu shot make you depressed?

Postby gracezw » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:35 pm

Can anyone comment on this article written around Feb 2018? It has 35 footnotes as references. It also has 18 mostly supportive comments at the bottom.

Could the Flu Shot Make You Depressed?
by Kelly Brogan, MD
https://kellybroganmd.com/could-the-flu ... -123896025

Kelly Brogan, MD
Kelly Brogan, M.D. is a Manhattan-based holistic women’s health psychiatrist, author of the New York Times bestselling book, A Mind of Your Own, and co-editor of the landmark textbook, Integrative Therapies for Depression. She completed her psychiatric training and fellowship at NYU Medical Center after graduating from Cornell University Medical College, and has a B.S. from MIT in Systems Neuroscience. View full bio. Want to share this article on your own blog? View our reposting guidelines.
gracezw

Re: Brogan MD article: Could the flu shot make you depressed

Postby MINNIE » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:43 pm

I'm not a scientist, so I can't really say if her argument is believable.

My experience, having suffered from chronic depression for much of my life, is that the McDougall/Esselstyn style of plant-based eating was the only thing that ever had any impact on my condition.

During the nearly six years I have eaten this way, I have had no depressive episodes. I have enjoyed my best mental health ever.

I have also had annual flu shots :).

My anecdote isn't evidence of course.

But, although there are valid reasons for some people to not get flu shots, I am not concerned about depression as one of them.
For me.
YMMV.

P.S.

There do seem to be scientific papers that do study possible connections between depression and flu vaccine. I don't know if this will be helpful, but...

https://www.google.com/search?q=depress ... fox-b-1-ab
MINNIE

Re: Brogan MD article: Could the flu shot make you depressed

Postby gracezw » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:02 pm

Minnie, thank you for your response! I am glad to hear that this WOE has been so helpful to you!

MINNIE wrote:I'm not a scientist, so I can't really say if her argument is believable.

My experience, having suffered from chronic depression for much of my life, is that the McDougall/Esselstyn style of plant-based eating was the only thing that ever had any impact on my condition.

During the nearly six years I have eaten this way, I have had no depressive episodes. I have enjoyed my best mental health ever.

I have also had annual flu shots :).

My anecdote isn't evidence of course.

But, although there are valid reasons for some people to not get flu shots, I am not concerned about depression as one of them.
For me.
YMMV.

P.S.

There do seem to be scientific papers that do study possible connections between depression and flu vaccine. I don't know if this will be helpful, but...

https://www.google.com/search?q=depress ... fox-b-1-ab
gracezw

Return to Health Issues