Breast cancer cured after 5 years

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Breast cancer cured after 5 years

Postby patty » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:07 pm

The cancer word is so fear based, especially for women. It is great you are disentangling it. Education works!

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby Atheria » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:37 pm

Australian singer and actress Olivia Newton-John is battling cancer for a third time.

She told Seven Network Australia over the weekend that the latest cancer was discovered at the base of her spine in 2017.

Newton-John, who will turn 70 later this month, was first diagnosed with breast cancer in 1992. A new breast cancer was discovered in 2013, which had spread to her shoulder.
~ ATHERIA ~
www.bridge4spirit.wordpress.com
Atheria

Postby gracezw » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:30 pm

Thank you for sharing. So after her old breast cancer was cured for/after 20 years, the new breast cancer was discovered!

Atheria wrote:Australian singer and actress Olivia Newton-John is battling cancer for a third time.

She told Seven Network Australia over the weekend that the latest cancer was discovered at the base of her spine in 2017.

Newton-John, who will turn 70 later this month, was first diagnosed with breast cancer in 1992. A new breast cancer was discovered in 2013, which had spread to her shoulder.
gracezw

Postby Atheria » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:16 am

gracezw wrote:Thank you for sharing. So after her old breast cancer was cured for/after 20 years, the new breast cancer was discovered!

Atheria wrote:Australian singer and actress Olivia Newton-John is battling cancer for a third time.

Sadly...yes...over 20 years later. Your odds IMPROVE if you make it 5 years, but it is clearly no guarantee you are "safe".

Atheria
~ ATHERIA ~
www.bridge4spirit.wordpress.com
Atheria

Postby gracezw » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:41 pm

That is an excellent point! Thank you!

==
"Sadly...yes...over 20 years later. Your odds IMPROVE if you make it 5 years, but it is clearly no guarantee you are "safe".

Atheria"
gracezw

Postby gracezw » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:35 am

Update and sad news about my neighbor. She just told me almost in tears yesterday that her breast cancer was now back and she was getting ready for surgery!
gracezw

Postby Ejeff » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:11 am

A relative of mine had breast cancer very young just 36, had mastectomy and chemo. It returned about 6 or 7 years later and the doctors said it was the same cancer. They didn’t want to do chemo again as they said it didn’t kill off the cancer the first time. She didn’t like this answer so had another mastectomy and chemo again. She has been cancer free for over 13 year now. Perhaps it would help your neighbor to stay positive if she knows a reoccurrence can be cured too. I hope her surgery goes well.
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby gracezw » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:26 am

Thank you Ejeff! You are very kind.
I have offered help and support to my neighbor.
I am not sure whether in your relative’s case, the breast cancer will return or not. It is tremendous amount of suffering to have to go through the same cancer treatment twice.

Ejeff wrote:A relative of mine had breast cancer very young just 36, had mastectomy and chemo. It returned about 6 or 7 years later and the doctors said it was the same cancer. They didn’t want to do chemo again as they said it didn’t kill off the cancer the first time. She didn’t like this answer so had another mastectomy and chemo again. She has been cancer free for over 13 year now. Perhaps it would help your neighbor to stay positive if she knows a reoccurrence can be cured too. I hope her surgery goes well.
gracezw

Postby gracezw » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:17 pm

Update: my neighbor is scheduled for her breast cancer surgery in about a week. She is a strong lady trusting her doctors 100%. She is ready for all the pain that comes from the surgery.

I am reading this from Dr. McD:

“Breast cancer is a dominant fear for many women. Fortunately, it’s also largely a preventable disease with the right diet and a healthy lifestyle. Contrary to what most people hope for, early detection by mammography causes more harm than good. Radical surgery, radiation, and chemotherapy are brutal remedies universally prescribed to women with breast cancer, yet they provide little survival benefit.”

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... st-cancer/

My question is, what does it mean that surgeries provide little survival benefit? It appears that my neighbor believes that the surgery will save her life. I guess that is why she will go ahead with the surgery.

Also, how many years does a woman need to eat WFPB in order to prevent breast cancer from happening?
gracezw

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:24 pm

If I am understanding it correctly, screening catches more cancers, but many of these cancers would never become deadly, so while there are more procedures, there is not a decrease in mortality. Cancers take a long time to grow before they are detectable. Dr. McDougall has a great talk about Steve Job’s cancer on YouTube. Really interesting perspective.

If I had breast cancer and it returned, I would probably go under the knife at that point. There are just so many factors to consider, though.

I have no idea how long a person would need to follow a WFPB diet to prevent any disease. It’s playing the odds. In my mind, avoiding animal protein and maintaining a healthy weight are the two things I’d focus on. Next is making sure to get the recommended servings of fruit and veg a day. Then adequate walking. But, again, you can’t really erase decades of living in a week. It’s all about time and adherence.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby jamietwo » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:32 am

gracezw wrote:Also, how many years does a woman need to eat WFPB in order to prevent breast cancer from happening?

Unfortunately, there are no guarantees that it will. But it will improve your odds. I would also like to stress that eating the McDougall way, with no added oils, is important. I had been eating vegan, organic, *mostly whole foods, and avoiding dyes, corn syrup, etc for ~8 years when I was diagnosed with breast cancer (and I was/am slim). I say *mostly whole foods, because I was eating oil. I chose to believe the "healthy fat" people that olive oil was good for you. I immediately removed ALL added oils from my diet and that of my family. I tried to follow Dr. McD's recommendations about lumpectomy with clear margins, but the surgeon claimed there were not clear margins so I let him do a mastectomy. I refused radiation and chemo, and here I am 10+ years later, and I am super strict about no added oils!
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby gracezw » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:45 pm

Jamie, thank you!
I am glad to hear that you are doing well more than 10 years later after your surgery. I am glad that you avoided radiation and chemo.
I thought that the breast cancer you were diagnosed with had started to develop 20 years or longer ago, way before you started to eat vegan and mostly whole foods. So I don’t think added oil as part of your mostly whole foods diet was responsible for that.
gracezw

Postby gracezw » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:46 pm

Thank you, Lynzie, too for your response!
gracezw

Postby jamietwo » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:21 pm

gracezw wrote:I thought that the breast cancer you were diagnosed with had started to develop 20 years or longer ago, way before you started to eat vegan and mostly whole foods. So I don’t think added oil as part of your mostly whole foods diet was responsible for that.

You might be interested to know that prior to eliminating oil from my diet, I had fibrous breast tissue. A few weeks (or months? - I don't remember now) after I eliminated oil from my diet, my remaining breast was no longer fibrous. That's what convinced me that the oil made a big difference!
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby gracezw » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:23 am

That is great to know. Thank you!

jamietwo wrote:
You might be interested to know that prior to eliminating oil from my diet, I had fibrous breast tissue. A few weeks (or months? - I don't remember now) after I eliminated oil from my diet, my remaining breast was no longer fibrous. That's what convinced me that the oil made a big difference!
gracezw

Previous

Return to Health Issues