Vaccines

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Vaccines

Postby jcr6fd » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:15 pm

With the idea that animal proteins have such negative impacts on our bodies, what are your thoughts with vaccines such as the flu shot?
jcr6fd

Re: Vaccines

Postby Idgie » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:24 pm

My thoughts are that the flu is deadly, especially for newborns (who can't be immunized), the elderly, and people with compromised immune system, so if you think the proteins in the vaccine might be a little bad for you, suck it up and do it for the people who can't afford to catch the disease. The big picture is that everyone who refuses to vaccinate (if they're able to -- some people can't) is risking the health and lives of other people, and that's a terrible and selfish thing to do.

Well, you asked. :-)
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:32 pm

If you search the Lounge, you'll find this topic addressed any number of times. I never get the flu shot. My husband is one of those shot-happy people who always gets a flu shot.

Here's what Dr. McDougall says about flu vaccines:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2014nl/nov/flushot.htm
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby PJK » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:39 am

In this video Dr. McDougall generally recommends vaccines...and says he gets them for himself, kids and grandkids:

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... nizations/
PJK

Postby debknott » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:43 am

Dr. McDougall does advocate some vaccines, but he explicitly advises against the flu vaccine.
debknott

Postby Birdy » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:47 am

I did not ever get flu shots until three years ago. My doctor told me that, as a type 2 diabetic, it's important to have this vaccination because anyone with diabetes or other conditions that compromise immunity, a person can get a worse case of flu with more severe complications. Last year just before Christmas, I had a couple of days of feeling sick but it was minor. This was followed by my husband and both of our daughters who were home for Christmas all having a very bad flu. I was able to take care of them as one after another became ill, but I stayed well. Dr. McDougall has gotten flu shots some years, but not others. I think a lot of people waffle on having them. You may find it helpful to go to the CDC website and read the information there about the flu vaccine.
"The program is essentially cost and risk free." ~ Dr. John McDougall
Birdy

Postby dynodan62 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:54 pm

Those over 65 or with compromised immunity often feel any immunization protection, no matter how small, is worth the risk. There seems to be two different options this year (FLUZONE vs. FLUAD), but the CDC won’t commit. The high-dose FLUZONE apparently has a longer safety history, and the immunity-booster FLUAD utilizes a new/different approach. Both are single-dose (no mercury). Since the pharma manufacturers only publish favorable studies, I am wondering if their marketing tactics might best indicate the most intelligent choice? Whatever the local pharmacies run out of first has obviously been pushed the hardest, since the general public hasn’t a clue.
dynodan62

Postby MINNIE » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:07 pm

I have had annual flu shots since they became available.
I have not had the flu since then.
My only adverse result in an occasional sore arm muscle which resolves within 24 hours.

Maybe if I had rural lifestyle and seldom came in contact with large numbers of people I would consider doing without the flu vaccine.

But I'm an urbanite. I use public transport. I work in a place with a lot of contact with the public.

I don't want to infect or be infected:).

I consider the probability of either getting infected or infecting others to be pretty high without the vaccine.
MINNIE

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:10 am

I'll just leave this here....heh-heh-heh

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25847473
J Sci Food Agric. 2016 Mar 15;96(4):1150-8. doi: 10.1002/jsfa.7197. Epub 2015 Apr 27.
Anti-influenza virus effects of cocoa.
Kamei M1, Nishimura H2, Takahashi T1, Takahashi N1, Inokuchi K3, Mato T3, Takahashi K2.
Author information
Abstract
BACKGROUND:
Cocoa contains biologically active ingredients that have broad-spectrum antimicrobial activity, which includes an inhibitory effect on influenza virus infection.

RESULTS:
A cocoa extract (CE) was prepared by treating defatted cocoa powder with boiling water. The extract demonstrated dose-dependent inhibition of infection in Madin-Darby canine kidney (MDCK) cells infected with human influenza virus A (H1N1, H3N2), human influenza virus B and avian influenza viruses (H5N1, H5N9). CE inhibited viral adsorption to MDCK cells. Animal experiments showed that CE significantly improved survival in mice after intra-nasal administration of a lethal dose of influenza virus. In human intervention trials, participants were allocated to two groups, one in which the participants ingested cocoa for 3 weeks before and after vaccination against A(H1N1)pdm2009 influenza virus and another in which the participants did not ingest cocoa. Neutralizing antibody titers against A(H1N1)pdm2009 influenza virus increased significantly in both groups; however, the extent of the increase was not significantly different between the two groups. Although natural killer cell activity was also elevated in both groups, the increase was more substantial in the cocoa intake group.

CONCLUSION:
Drinking cocoa activates natural immunity and enhances vaccination-induced immune response, providing stronger protection against influenza virus infection and disease onset.

© 2015 Society of Chemical Industry.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:27 pm

YEEEEEESSSSSSSSS! Hahahaha
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Return to Health Issues