Urgent help to convince my brother to try mcdougall diet!

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Urgent help to convince my brother to try mcdougall diet!

Postby Lilybm » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:34 am

My brother has a condition called weaver's bottom or ischial bursitis (similar to handmaids knee or tennis elbow but located on his bottom). He has had conventional medical treatment which hasn't helped and is in a significant amount of pain. So much pain he is finally willing to give the McDougall diet a try. When I've searched for inflammation on the McDougall website it comes up with autoimmune conditions/Inflammatory bowel disease/arthritis etc but his problem is more muscle inflammation. Can anyone direct me towards articles or success stories to encourage him to try the McDougall diet and give him some hope?!
Lilybm

Re: Urgent help to convince my brother to try mcdougall diet

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:06 pm

Lilybm wrote:My brother has a condition called weaver's bottom or ischial bursitis (similar to handmaids knee or tennis elbow but located on his bottom). He has had conventional medical treatment which hasn't helped and is in a significant amount of pain. So much pain he is finally willing to give the McDougall diet a try. When I've searched for inflammation on the McDougall website it comes up with autoimmune conditions/Inflammatory bowel disease/arthritis etc but his problem is more muscle inflammation. Can anyone direct me towards articles or success stories to encourage him to try the McDougall diet and give him some hope?!

I found this article interesting: https://www.physio-pedia.com/Ischial_Bursitis

Inflammation of the muscle is Myositis. Bursitis is inflammation of the bursa. Bursa is a fluid-filled sac or saclike cavity, especially one countering friction at a joint. You can see the hip bursae here: Image

The article I linked says Bursitis always develops in response to another pathology. Under Etiology, some common causes are listed including trauma, inflammation (rheumatoid arthritis and spondyloarthropathies). and infection and crystal deposition.

There may be other McDougall success stories, but Burgess Laughlin's is usually the one that comes to mind for bursitis (and most "itis" things). https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... -laughlin/
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby Lilybm » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:32 pm

Fab thanks so much for your help. This success story is just the sort if thing I'm looking for, it even includes bursitis!

And also thank you to the gentlemen who sent me a message, I can't work how to reply Sorry! But your advice is gratefully received and will be passed on.

Any more help would be wonderful too!
Lilybm

Postby John_B » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:23 am

In connection with chronic joint problems, which I have experience of, I find the youtube videos of John Bergman useful. Some of his most basic points are getting the blood clean, which basically means plant-based oil-free diet (he is not on the same page as Dr McDougall on saturated fats but the differences are far outweighed by the points of agreement). Like Dr McDougall he also stresses avoiding medications in general, as far as possible, and avoiding NSAIDs in particular for joint problems on the basis that they are known to damage the body's ability to generate cartilage--only one of the several prices for the short-term pain relief which this class of drugs offer. Although he is a chiropractor with a primary interest in bio-mechanics and anatomy, what comes over after a few hours of watching him on Youtube is that a plant-based oil-free diet is as key for treating joint problems as it is for heart disease and cancer.
John_B

Return to Health Issues