At My Wits End... Blood Sugar is Through the ROOF!

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: At My Wits End... Blood Sugar is Through the ROOF!

Postby Poison Ivy » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:29 pm

VooMan, how long have you been type 2? How old are you?
Poison Ivy

Postby VooMan » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:31 am

52 years old, was diagnosed with Type 2 about four years ago. High blood pressure going on 8 years now as well.

I was originally put on Metformin, 1000mg twice a day. As many people know, that tears your stomach up, so I switched to extended release. Everything was fine for a while, but then I started to get skin problems, itchy rashes. 500mg is fine, but anything over that and I get a rash... so we went to 500mg twice a day and the doctor added Jardience, which gave me really severe headaches. Like nothing I could imagine... so then it was Tradjenta, which didn't seem to do anything, and is now $300 per month under my new insurance.

I have read numerous books about plant based eating over the years, but I have never really been able to stick to a good diet long term. I am at the point now though, that with these medications one seems to have worse side effects than the next, and I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get off all this stuff and be healthy again.
VooMan

Postby Atheria » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:32 pm

I've not had oatmeal in a while, but if I recall, it sadly makes me spike too. I met this woman who was diabetic and she was married to a diabetic guy. The weird thing was (or maybe it's not so odd as we each are individuals) that one of them reacted BAD to rice but GOOD to beans, and the other was the opposite. I joked that at least between the two of them they could order one Mexican dinner and split it. HA! What I'm getting at is that some foods are just issues for people. You'll have to keep testing what works and what doesn't.

On another note, I am living proof that you can be THIN and develop diabetes. I'm fighting off a rising trend right now. Going LCHF vegan for a while helped...but didn't get my numbers down to where I want them to be, and it was not sustainable. After a seemingly good lunch today (but with olive oil) of rice, lentils, green beans, and carrots, my blood sugar was 216. Pffffft! So...I really DO need to ditch fats again. The combo of more carbs with fats = problems. I'd offer someone my sunflower seed butter, peanut butter, and olive oil, but something tells me no one here would take me up on it. ;-)

Atheria
#backtocuttingfats
~ ATHERIA ~
www.bridge4spirit.wordpress.com
Atheria

Postby Birdy » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:57 pm

Hi Andrew,
I also have T2dm and understand the roller coaster you're on. Here are a few observations, in no particular order, based on my own experience. On the subject of oatmeal, it's apparently the steel cut oats that require a longer cooking time that raise blood glucose less. Also, instead of potatoes, try sweet potatoes. Rather than white rice or pasta, use brown rice or whole wheat pasta. I've found it helps to add a protein of some sort to meals. So for example, soy milk in oatmeal, beans with rice or pasta, peanut butter on toast. Speaking of toast, I went from eating bread (whole wheat sourdough) several times every day to instead eating one slice of Ezekiel bread (look for it in the frozen section of your grocery store). Ezekiel bread is sprouted from whole wheat and legumes, is higher in protein and lower in easily digested carbs than regular bread. It makes good toast. I have that for breakfast with a piece of fruit and some coffee most mornings instead of oatmeal. It also helps to have vegetables at lunch and dinner to fill you up and it balances out the meals.

Dr. Neal Barnard's book that others mentioned has been helpful to me. Part of his approach is based on using low-glycemic carbohydrates such as is recommended by scientist Jennie Brand-Miller, PhD at the University of Sydney in Australia. One of Dr. McDougall's guest speakers in 2013 was Dr. David Jenkins who is a Canadian researcher who "discovered" the glycemic index (GI). There is a vegan diet based on his work called the portfolio diet and his wife has co-authored a book due to be released mid-October based on his work that benefits cardiovascular health and diabetes: The Portfolio Diet for Cardiovascular Disease Risk Reduction: An Evidence Based Approach to Lower Cholesterol Through Plant Food Consumption. However, the bad news is, it costs $130 for a 222 page book. I write all this because I've found the GI very helpful in lowering my blood sugars, reducing my appetite, and losing weight.

Exercise is very important to lower blood sugars and for overall health, but if you're still carrying significant weight it can be hard to start walking. When you feel ready, walking is a very good place to start. In terms of lowering postprandial glucose, it's helpful to walk for 10 minutes after each meal. You might find a treadmill helpful.

Weight loss has been found to be the most relevant intervention to improve diabetes. That said, my experience has been that it's a process and it takes time for the body to adjust and heal even as you lose weight. I hope some of this is helpful.
"The program is essentially cost and risk free." ~ Dr. John McDougall
Birdy

Previous

Return to Health Issues