Need help troubleshooting

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Need help troubleshooting

Postby PotatoPotahto » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:34 pm

Greetings - so last December I started following Dr. McDougall's diet nearly 100%. For a few weeks I was really struggling so I decided to eat one meal a day that was anything I wanted, but I realized that didn't help me in any way so I've been back to 100% McDougall since Feb or March. I'm having some issues I can't seem to figure out on my own and would appreciate some input on.

I'm 38 M 5' 11" and 272 pounds as of today (down from 338 or so last Dec.). The only med I'm on is Lexapro. The only supplements I take are a daily probiotic and 200MG of magnesium in the AM and PM.

Aside from my weight, I have had psoriasis since I was a teenager. It's on my elbow, in my scalp, around my eyes, in my ears, etc. I have no other issues that I know of.

I've been checked over by my doc including an A1C test which came out fine. BP and everything else is fine as far as I know.

My main two problems are: my psoriasis is getting WORSE and I generally feel like crap. This is what's blowing my mind. I generally feel as bad or worse than when I was drinking daily and eating fast food all the time! And my psoriasis is spreading faster than ever before.

I'm also getting zit like things on various locations like my arms and belly that take months to heal. My skin is in rather bad shape in general.

My diet typically consists of (in order of frequency):

- Whole grain pastas
- Mixed veg / corn / carrots / broccoli / various leafy greens, etc.
- Fruit (mango, pears, grapes, apples, etc.)
- Better than Bouillon veg broth / gluten free miso paste (I make a lot of soups, I know these are high in sodium so I limit them)
- Oats (now gluten free) daily
- 1 TBsp flax seed a day
- Decaf coffee / Teeccinno
- Green smoothie - almond milk (that I make with water and almonds), blueberries, cherries, a banana, 4oz spinach and various spices (cocoa powder, PB powder, etc.) daily
- Potatoes / sweet potatoes / squash
- Beans (1/2 - 1 cup daily, if that)
- Bread (mostly sourdough or other non-fat bread, but I've cut this out recently)
- Rice, mostly brown
[Below are limited snack / condiment items]
- Rice cakes
- lower fat hummus
- Pico de gallo / salsa
- Figs / raisins / dried cranberries (very little)
- Brown sugar / honey (very limited)

I've been tracking everything in an app pretty religiously for the past week or so and I'm otherwise very conscious about everything I eat. I'd say I've been following Dr. M's recommendations nearly 100%. The only oils I add are tahini in golden gravy once in a while and maybe the flax seeds.

The next step I was planning on doing is cutting out gluten. I've already phased out most of it and am just finishing my pasta up. I was eating a lot more pasta and bread than ever before, so I'm wondering if this is the culprit.

I'd like to avoid going on the full elimination diet for now, but that's probably going to be my next step if cutting gluten doesn't help. I've also watched several videos on leaky gut and how to fix that. I'm just trying to avoid shocking my body with more drastic change as I don't tend to do too well with that.

I'm rather shocked that I feel as crappy as I do for as healthy as I've been eating and of course I'm concerned about my skin issues. If anyone has any input on this I'd really appreciate it. I've been doing all this solo because there are no plant based docs that I know of anywhere near me.
PotatoPotahto

Re: Need help troubleshooting

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:39 pm

PotatoPotahto wrote:Greetings - so last December I started following Dr. McDougall's diet nearly 100%. For a few weeks I was really struggling so I decided to eat one meal a day that was anything I wanted, but I realized that didn't help me in any way so I've been back to 100% McDougall since Feb or March. I'm having some issues I can't seem to figure out on my own and would appreciate some input on.

I'm 38 M 5' 11" and 272 pounds as of today (down from 338 or so last Dec.). The only med I'm on is Lexapro. The only supplements I take are a daily probiotic and 200MG of magnesium in the AM and PM.

Aside from my weight, I have had psoriasis since I was a teenager. It's on my elbow, in my scalp, around my eyes, in my ears, etc. I have no other issues that I know of.

I've been checked over by my doc including an A1C test which came out fine. BP and everything else is fine as far as I know.

My main two problems are: my psoriasis is getting WORSE and I generally feel like crap. This is what's blowing my mind. I generally feel as bad or worse than when I was drinking daily and eating fast food all the time! And my psoriasis is spreading faster than ever before.

I'm also getting zit like things on various locations like my arms and belly that take months to heal. My skin is in rather bad shape in general.

My diet typically consists of (in order of frequency):

- Whole grain pastas
- Mixed veg / corn / carrots / broccoli / various leafy greens, etc.
- Fruit (mango, pears, grapes, apples, etc.)
- Better than Bouillon veg broth / gluten free miso paste (I make a lot of soups, I know these are high in sodium so I limit them)
- Oats (now gluten free) daily
- 1 TBsp flax seed a day
- Decaf coffee / Teeccinno
- Green smoothie - almond milk (that I make with water and almonds), blueberries, cherries, a banana, 4oz spinach and various spices (cocoa powder, PB powder, etc.) daily
- Potatoes / sweet potatoes / squash
- Beans (1/2 - 1 cup daily, if that)
- Bread (mostly sourdough or other non-fat bread, but I've cut this out recently)
- Rice, mostly brown
[Below are limited snack / condiment items]
- Rice cakes
- lower fat hummus
- Pico de gallo / salsa
- Figs / raisins / dried cranberries (very little)
- Brown sugar / honey (very limited)

I've been tracking everything in an app pretty religiously for the past week or so and I'm otherwise very conscious about everything I eat. I'd say I've been following Dr. M's recommendations nearly 100%. The only oils I add are tahini in golden gravy once in a while and maybe the flax seeds.

The next step I was planning on doing is cutting out gluten. I've already phased out most of it and am just finishing my pasta up. I was eating a lot more pasta and bread than ever before, so I'm wondering if this is the culprit.

I'd like to avoid going on the full elimination diet for now, but that's probably going to be my next step if cutting gluten doesn't help. I've also watched several videos on leaky gut and how to fix that. I'm just trying to avoid shocking my body with more drastic change as I don't tend to do too well with that.

I'm rather shocked that I feel as crappy as I do for as healthy as I've been eating and of course I'm concerned about my skin issues. If anyone has any input on this I'd really appreciate it. I've been doing all this solo because there are no plant based docs that I know of anywhere near me.

Hi. If you haven't seen it, you might read this: https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2014nl ... ncases.htm

Is your whole-grain pasta wheat? Is the sourdough wheat? You might want to eliminate wheat products and soy as Dr. McDougall suggests in that newsletter. (You might have to find a non-soy miso if you think that might be a problem. I don't know. I think they have chickpea miso.) Also, while it's a very minimal amount, Better Than Bouillon does contain oil. Perhaps eliminating that product will help with your condition.
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby jamietwo » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:13 pm

I hunted up a Star McDougaller story that might interest you. :) https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... e-s-oshea/

Nicole had Psoriatic Arthritis & Skin Psoriasis. She mentions in her story that as she was recovering several months into this way of eating, she would have periods where she would flare and then get better. Your situation might be similar OR, like you said, it may be that a certain food or foods is causing you to flare. If you have suspect foods, you can eliminate them (like you're preparing to do with gluten), before going all the way with the elimination diet.

Good luck!
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby PotatoPotahto » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:49 pm

Hi. If you haven't seen it, you might read this: https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2014nl ... ncases.htm

I've read that and many more, but I'll check it out again to see if I missed anything.

Is your whole-grain pasta wheat? Is the sourdough wheat? You might want to eliminate wheat products and soy as Dr. McDougall suggests in that newsletter.

Yep like I said, my next step is cutting wheat products. The miso I use now is chickpea.

I hunted up a Star McDougaller story that might interest you. :) https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... e-s-oshea/

I've read all of the stories I could find regarding psoriasis including this one. Reminds me that it could take time to heal and it could be getting worse before getting better (I hope). I think I will do the elimination diet though just to see if I improve at all.

Thanks for your responses!
PotatoPotahto

Postby Vegankit » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:05 am

I’m strongly recommending the Elimination Diet. Why? Because when you eat this way there may be a food that you eat more often now than on your previous SAD which could be the cause.

In my case both rice and corn cause lesionsx rice causes small ones and corn creates painful large pimple-like ones. Ever time I tried the Elimination Diet I had problems until I realized it was rice causing me problems. So suspect everything until proven wrong.

So if you completely cut out gluten, even that hidden in things like soy sauce and you have no relief, go on the Elimination Diet and cut to the chase.

BTW I got rid of my psoriasis. I’ve been eating this way 10 years, but I still sometimes feel my elbows and I’m amazed that they are smooth. You can do it too, you just need to eliminate the trigger food.
The Elimination Diet can also help you change your tastebuds and clean up areas of your diet there suboptimal such as green smoothies, cocoa powder, PB powder etc.

If I can do it, so can you.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby hoob » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:08 am

I started this program about a year and a half ago to combat inflammation arthritis/ autoimmune issues.

Try cutting out the coffee. The acid in it will do no favors for leaky gut. When I quit coffee and finally took the no oil/Earth Butter for flavoring is when I started really feeling the best results. Like you, I also cut out gluten stuff.

You're doing great and I understand it can be frustrating. Hope you find relief.
hoob

Postby PotatoPotahto » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:40 am

Vegankit wrote:I’m strongly recommending the Elimination Diet. Why? Because when you eat this way there may be a food that you eat more often now than on your previous SAD which could be the cause.

In my case both rice and corn cause lesionsx rice causes small ones and corn creates painful large pimple-like ones. Ever time I tried the Elimination Diet I had problems until I realized it was rice causing me problems. So suspect everything until proven wrong.

So if you completely cut out gluten, even that hidden in things like soy sauce and you have no relief, go on the Elimination Diet and cut to the chase.

BTW I got rid of my psoriasis. I’ve been eating this way 10 years, but I still sometimes feel my elbows and I’m amazed that they are smooth. You can do it too, you just need to eliminate the trigger food.
The Elimination Diet can also help you change your tastebuds and clean up areas of your diet there suboptimal such as green smoothies, cocoa powder, PB powder etc.

If I can do it, so can you.

I've been getting these pimple-like things too! I figured that might be related. And I might be getting arthritis like symptoms in my right elbow now, where the largest and oldest psoriasis lesion is.

I was leaning towards going straight elimination and that's what I'm going to do. Thanks for your input.
PotatoPotahto

Postby Heather443 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:22 pm

Where can I find the elimination diet, please? I've cleared my psoriasis but am still having lots of joint pain even though I've cut out SO MANY foods from diet. I'm hoping the elimination diet will show me what is the cause.
Heather443

Postby Vegankit » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:10 pm

Heather443 wrote:Where can I find the elimination diet, please? I've cleared my psoriasis but am still having lots of joint pain even though I've cut out SO MANY foods from diet. I'm hoping the elimination diet will show me what is the cause.
https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2014nl/may/tencases.htm scroll down to the bottom.

PotatoPotahto, I'm not going to lie - going on the Elimination Diet EM) is hard - it's boring and so limiting. However it's the fastest way to relief and it's the best way to find out what foods are causing you issues.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby PotatoPotahto » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:17 pm

Vegankit wrote:PotatoPotahto, I'm not going to lie - going on the Elimination Diet EM) is hard - it's boring and so limiting. However it's the fastest way to relief and it's the best way to find out what foods are causing you issues.

I figured as much, which is why I'm taking the slower / easier approach because I just don't do well with such drastic changes and restriction. But honestly, I eat so few foods, I'm almost eating the elimination diet as it is.
PotatoPotahto

Postby PotatoPotahto » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:37 pm

At this point I'm finishing up my gluten containing foods and not buying any more. Then I'll cut it out completely and see what happens. My psoriasis was receding before I started eating bread and pasta every day, so we'll see.
PotatoPotahto

Postby PotatoPotahto » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:03 pm

Hello folks, just thought I'd provide an update. After listening to Dr. Klaper's webinar on leaky gut, I ordered a test from EnteroLab: https://www.enterolab.com/StaticPages/TestInfo.aspx#PanelB2C2. It's expensive, but I felt the results would help me narrow down any food sensitivities much more quickly than I was doing myself.

It turns out I'm gluten sensitive and also OAT sensitive. Even though I have cut out gluten, I was still eating oats 2-3 times a day! So a couple of weeks ago, I cut that out too. That was the hardest thing to give up because I love oats so much.

I also just had a physical done and full blood tests and everything came back good. BP was 100/66. I'm down about 80 pounds since last December and still going.

My skin appears to be getting slightly better. It certainly isn't getting worse. I'm getting close to being on the full elimination diet and soon I will add in Dr. Klaper's supplement recommendations as well (DHA, Quercetin, Glutamine, but NOT SAM-E because I'm on an anti-depressant).

I'll update the thread once I see some results.
PotatoPotahto

Return to Health Issues