canned potatoes and fiber magic

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

canned potatoes and fiber magic

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:10 pm

I was looking at the soluble/insoluble fiber in potatoes on this chart https://www.prebiotin.com/prebiotin-aca ... -of-foods/ and noticed the canned potatoes. For 1 cup, the total fiber is 4.5g with most of that (3.5g) soluble, and only 1g insoluble. Now, compare that to the numbers given for boiled potato without skin: 1 cup has 2.8g fiber, with 1.6g soluble and 1.2g insoluble.

Now watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat. :lol:

I keep cans of potatoes on hand to throw into soups. But I always rinse them. The potatoes, not the cans. :wink:
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Re: canned potatoes and fiber magic

Postby Ltldogg » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:26 pm

AlwaysAgnes,

I have seen the same site for years and never trusted it for the same reason. Yes, sometimes the data on that site is correct and verifiable, but I have found many instances, including canned potatoes, where the data is incorrect. What I use as solid data is the nutritional info on products themselves. Unfortunately not all products will break down the fiber by type (soluble vs insoluble), but some products do. That is why I no for sure white wheat (non-whole wheat) pasta has a 2:1 ratio of soluble:insoluble fiber. For canned potatoes, I have not found any products yet where the ratio matches that of what I see on the prebiotin site. Further, my own personal experience with white potatoes and digestion tells me the amount of insoluble fiber in the potato flesh (skinless) is much higher than soluble. But, that's just a n=1 anecdote.

Cheers,
Scott
Ltldogg

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:55 pm

Ltldogg wrote:AlwaysAgnes,

I have seen the same site for years and never trusted it for the same reason. Yes, sometimes the data on that site is correct and verifiable, but I have found many instances, including canned potatoes, where the data is incorrect. What I use as solid data is the nutritional info on products themselves. Unfortunately not all products will break down the fiber by type (soluble vs insoluble), but some products do. That is why I no for sure white wheat (non-whole wheat) pasta has a 2:1 ratio of soluble:insoluble fiber. For canned potatoes, I have not found any products yet where the ratio matches that of what I see on the prebiotin site. Further, my own personal experience with white potatoes and digestion tells me the amount of insoluble fiber in the potato flesh (skinless) is much higher than soluble. But, that's just a n=1 anecdote.

Cheers,
Scott

Have you eaten canned potatoes in order to compare them to regular cooked? Or have you just eliminated potato altogether for pasta? Can't say I'd blame you. BTW, I have a couple different brands of canned potatoes in my pantry; neither of them breaks down the fiber number into soluble and insoluble. I don't know, but perhaps the difference in numbers for canned potato might have something to do with resistant starch. Or it could just be a typo. :lol:

I don't think the USDA database breaks fiber into soluble and insoluble either. I didn't see it for canned potatoes, anyway.

Here are a couple more links about fiber because, hey, they're free! :lol: Plus, I ran out of rabbits.

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/other-nutrients/fiber
https://jandonline.org/article/S2212-2672(15)01386-6/fulltext

Edited to try to fix that 2nd link. You can copy/paste it into browser if I'm not successful. 8)
AlwaysAgnes

Postby Ltldogg » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:23 pm

AlwaysAgnes wrote:Have you eaten canned potatoes in order to compare them to regular cooked? Or have you just eliminated potato altogether for pasta? Can't say I'd blame you. BTW, I have a couple different brands of canned potatoes in my pantry; neither of them breaks down the fiber number into soluble and insoluble. I don't know, but perhaps the difference in numbers for canned potato might have something to do with resistant starch. Or it could just be a typo. :lol:

I have tried canned potatoes on the ED, but not long enough to make a proper decision; though I don't think they will work any better for me than peeling and cooking potatoes. I can eat potato flesh in smaller quantities if necessary.

AlwaysAgnes wrote:I don't think the USDA database breaks fiber into soluble and insoluble either. I didn't see it for canned potatoes, anyway.

Here are a couple more links about fiber because, hey, they're free! :lol: Plus, I ran out of rabbits.

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/other-nutrients/fiber
https://jandonline.org/article/S2212-2672(15)01386-6/fulltext

Edited to try to fix that 2nd link. You can copy/paste it into browser if I'm not successful. 8)

Thanks for the links :D. I have found some others as well as some PDF downloads, but I've never seen consistency between 2 sites. That's why I'm more likely to trust the labels that do show both soluble and insoluble fiber since in theory they are regulated and verified.

Honestly, as long as white pasta, white rice, tomato puree and a pinch of ground flax seeds are not only preventing my Autoimmune Diseases from flaring but also healing me back from flares, I'm happy. It has taken me over 3 years to make this progress and it is a huge accomplishment! :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Scott
Ltldogg

Postby Cora Summerfield » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:41 pm

Do canned potatoes taste like cooked potatoes? Or do they have that canned vegetable taste?
Cora Summerfield

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:52 pm

Scott, I'd probably stick to that if I were you, too.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:00 pm

Cora Summerfield wrote:Do canned potatoes taste like cooked potatoes? Or do they have that canned vegetable taste?

They're firm and hold their shape well in soup. They taste like precooked potatoes. Like if you cooked potato and then reheated it. I really only use them in soup. I buy the sliced or diced ones, but they also have whole new potatoes. I haven't seen salt-free ones.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby Cora Summerfield » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:14 am

AlwaysAgnes wrote:They're firm and hold their shape well in soup. They taste like precooked potatoes. Like if you cooked potato and then reheated it. I really only use them in soup. I buy the sliced or diced ones, but they also have whole new potatoes. I haven't seen salt-free ones.

Thanks Agnes, I'll try them.
Cora Summerfield

Return to Health Issues