Cholesterol

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Cholesterol

Postby pattij » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:37 pm

Just had my cholesterol taken this year and it is 158. LDL is 99. Trig is 125. How can I lower my LDL and Trig. I have been following Dr. McDougall's program and Dr. Esselstyn's program for the past five years. The first year my cholesterol was 120 with LDL at 70, trig 100. The following years were in the 140's. Now the two years in the high 150's. What am I doing wrong? I know that my Trig's could be due to more fruit intake, especially in the summer, but why the high LDL? I exercise for an hour every day, weigh 108 pounds. I am 67 years old.
pattij

Re: Cholesterol

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:23 am

Could you post a couple of days worth if meals so we could see if what can be tweaked?
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby pattij » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:28 pm

Thank you for asking. I start off in the morning with two servings of cooked oatmeal and one cup of wild blueberries. I have this every morning, but can change berries to have half blueberries/strawberries or half blueberries/raspberries. For lunch I have either leftovers from dinner (rice, potatoes, beans, lentils, whole wheat pasta, chili, full plate salad with all kinds of greens and veggies, lentil stew, bean burgers, quinuo dishes, etc.) I do not have any oil, nuts, avocados, soy,etc. as that is the part I follow with Dr. Esselstyn. I try to have at least six servings of greens everyday. Yesterday for lunch I had leftover lentil stew with potatoes, carrots, celery, peas, tomatoes, and spinach. I made it in my insta-pot. For dinner yesterday I had sautéed vegetables (onion, yellow squash, garlic, tomato, spinach) on brown rice. I sautéed in water. We love our spicy potato recipe and have that once a week. We usually have pizza once a week also. I use Engine 2 pizza crust and pile on spinach, mushrooms, red, green, orange peppers, red onion. We use nutritional yeast to put on top of sauce. It is soooo good. I do not drink coffee. I drink water. I drink some ginger tea or hawthorne tea once in a while. I may make muffins (just with oats, oat bran, flax seed, applesauce, banana, baking powder, raisins) once every three months or so. I do not usually bake as I prefer to eat larger portions of my lunch and dinners. I make the 321 salad dressing with balsamic vinegar, mustard, and maple syrup. So I do get some sugar from that. I buy corn tortilla's and make corn chips. They do not have any oil in them. I do not use oil at all. I also make chips from Ezekial tortilla's. I use Ezekial English muffins and bread at times. I get all my recipes from Dr. McDougall's Starch Solution and Dr. Esselstyn's How To Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease. I have been following this program faithfully for five years now and just do not know why my cholesterol is this high. I am thinking I should not eat fruit, but I really like fruit and I know it is good for you. Summertime I love cherries, watermelon, nectarines, plums, berries, etc. Again, I do not eat meat, dairy, fish, oil, nuts. I hope this helps. Thank you for your time.
pattij

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:38 am

Patty, here is a post that Jeff wrote about cholesterol levels and the plate test: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=21177&p=344300&hilit=Plate+Test#p344300

Based on what you wrote, I think you are doing fabulously! If the above article doesn’t give you peace of mind (because, even though your cholesterol has gone up, it’s still extremely good), book a phone call with Jeff to discuss your personal situation.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby pattij » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:52 pm

Thank you so much for that information. They were good articles.
pattij

Return to Health Issues