Question about Normal Bowel Movement frequency

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Question about Normal Bowel Movement frequency

Postby verde » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:44 am

Hi all,

So maybe for some this is a TMI subject, but I've been wanting to know the answer and I haven't found it in books from Dr.McDougall, nor here on the forum...

So here goes: If we eat say corn or beets for instance in the course of a day, how long should we expect to see it pop out the other end? In other words, how long should a complete GI trajectory take? What's most common in this WOE, or at least what is your personal experience?

Thanks in advance!
verde

Re: Question about Normal Bowel Movement frequency

Postby JeffN » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:51 am

Dr McDougall

In Search of the Perfect Bowel Movement

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2002nl ... vement.htm

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby verde » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:16 am

JeffN wrote:Dr McDougall

In Search of the Perfect Bowel Movement

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2002nl ... vement.htm

In Health
Jeff

Thank you very much Jeff, I had read this newsletter article and found it very useful indeed. But it still doesn't answer my question: what is a considered normal duration (in approximate number of hours) of a complete GI tract travel of food on this WOE?
Do you know what is most common?

Thanks again!
verde

Postby JeffN » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:25 am

There is no single answer but 1-3 a day is fairly common/normal for those on the program.

There are many variables that can influence this (increase or decrease) including dietary (fiber, fat, water), fluid intake, hormonal cycles, caffeine etc. There are medications abs health issues that can also impact this.

Sometimes it may take a little while to get to a more regular experience. It is not unusual for participants to have infrequent and hard stools from their previous eating habits when they begin their new diet. For those that struggle while at the program, we offer some prunes/prune juice.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby verde » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:56 am

JeffN wrote:There is no single answer but 1-3 a day is fairly common/normal for those on the program.

There are many variables that can influence this (increase or decrease amount) including dietary factors, (ie, fiber, fat, water), fluid intake, hormonal cycles, caffeine etc. There are medications and health issues that can also impact this.

Sometimes it may take a little while to get to a more regular experience. It is not unusual for participants to have infrequent and hard stools from their previous eating habits when they begin their new diet. For those that struggle while at the program, we offer some prunes/prune juice.

In Health
Jeff

Thank you! That does answer my question!
verde

Postby verde » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:16 am

JeffN wrote:There is no single answer but 1-3 a day is fairly common/normal for those on the program.
(...)
In Health
Jeff

Jeff, just one more question please: in the raw food/fruitarian community there's a common belief that everything you ate the day before should be out of your body in the morning the next day before breakfast (including what you had for dinner). Is this even possible/achievable and or desirable (in terms of health) on a regular basis (excluding the casualties of having an occasional food poisoning or something like that) in this lifestyle?
They seem to aim for that as a sign of health, but is that really a sign of health? And is it even possibleto achieve on a regular basis?

Thanks again!
verde

Postby JeffN » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:55 am

verde wrote:
(...)
In Health
Jeff

Jeff, just one more question please: in the raw food/fruitarian community there's a common belief that everything you ate the day before should be out of your body in the morning the next day before breakfast (including what you had for dinner). Is this even possible/achievable and or desirable (in terms of health) on a regular basis (excluding the casualties of having an occasional food poisoning or something like that) in this lifestyle?
They seem to aim for that as a sign of health, but is that really a sign of health? And is it even possibleto achieve on a regular basis?

Thanks again!

If you are not constipated or having diarrhea, both of which can cause problems over time, I would not worry.

The answer will differ between people and even within people depending on some of the very same things I mentioned above. While 24 hours is probably average in healthy people, the could range from 12-48.

I was part of the Raw Food community for many years. I think along with the fitness industry, they are some of the poorest sources of accurate health information, much of it without any evidence. My advice, avoid both for health info. Or, next the raw-fooders will have you comparing the color of your poops and taking them apart to make sure you food is properly digested.

If you want to do a simple test, eat beets with a specific meal. They will change the color of your poop to a purple/red and you will be able to see how long that took.

But, please, don't obsess over it. :)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22717088

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby verde » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:41 am

JeffN wrote:
If you are not constipated or having diarrhea, both of which can cause problems over time, I would not worry. :)

The answer will differ between people and even within people depending on some of the very same things I mentioned above. While 24 hours is probably average in healthy people, the could range from 12-48.

I was part of the Raw Food community for many years. I think along with the fitness industry, they are some of the poorest sources of accurate health information, much of it without any evidence. My advice, avoid both for health info. Or, next the raw-fooders will have you comparing the color of your poops and taking them apart to make sure you food is properly digested.

If you want to do a simple test, eat beets with a specific meal. They will change the color of your poop to a purple/red and you will be able to see how long that took.

But, please, don't obsess over it. :)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22717088

In Health
Jeff

My goodness Jeff, thank you so much! I was honestly reticent when I asked the question because this tends to be such a tabu subject. I'm relieved to see that here, just like Carl Sagan once put it, "There is no such thing as a dumb question"[*]! :)

I had no idea you were once on the raw food movement! Interesting that you ended up here! That is only even more helpful: you have the experience of both worlds and are hence well rounded in nutrition, completely prepared to answer whatever comes your way.
And you're right, they don't base their beliefs on scientific data, I was there once before and I know I didn't either. I'm glad I know better, I even became an engineer out of the need for rationality!

Anyway, thank you for your answer, and for calming my curious mind!

I don't have either of those issues, but I do get extremely bloated with uncomfortable pain (many times I look like I'm 4 months pregnant when I'm not!), I'm still trying to figure out whether it is because of something I'm doing wrong or if my body would eventually adapt (although truth be told if it was going to adapt I think it should have done so by now? This has been my normal in the past few years). it usually happens at night, but lately, it's been happening during the day too. It's really uncomfortable, it even makes it difficult to walk. I don't know why this happens. I've been tested for gluten allergy (blood test) but came out normal.
Maybe I'm just eating too much or at least too many vegetables and fruits? I'm not even sure this ever happens to anyone else in our community, people don't talk about it much so I assume it's not common...
Would you have any advice (other than taking simethicone pills or similar)?

Thanks again!

[*]https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/538156-there-are-naive-questions-tedious-questions-ill-phrased-questions-questions-put
verde

Postby JeffN » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:55 am

verde wrote:I had no idea you were once on the raw food movement! Interesting that you ended up here!

Started there. 1973

:)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby verde » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:16 am

JeffN wrote:
verde wrote:I had no idea you were once on the raw food movement! Interesting that you ended up here!

Started there. 1973

:)

In Health
Jeff

What led you to search for more scientific data?

Also: any advice for the bloating issue? Is it common/normal? Thanks.
verde

Postby JeffN » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:22 am

verde wrote:What led you to search for more scientific data?

Also: any advice for the bloating issue? Is it common/normal? Thanks.

Quest for truth

Nutrition and health is a science and such programs should be scientifically based. You start checking out the validity of claims and start seeing how many are pure nonsense, myths, etc. Clearly, scientists reading the same material may have some differences but their stuff was blatantly false or made up.

On Bloating

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30907#p309630

My story (told several times)
https://jnovickrd.wixsite.com/jnovickrd/interviews

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby geo » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:13 pm

Great answers from Jeff!

From my experience after 6 years McDougalling:

1. I have 3-4 bowel movements a day. Usually 3 between about 6AM and Noon, and sometimes a 4th in late afternoon, early evening. Since my meals are pretty standardized, SNAP Style MWL meals, I'm very well regulated and can just about depend on this schedule 100% these days.

2. From eating till evacuation for me is approximately 17-18 hours. Thats like clockwork as well. Again because I eat pretty much the same type of food everyday.

3. Rather than Jeff's beet test (does anyone really eat beets? Please no hate pm's). I just use the corn test (By far the best tasting starch :-) ). Easy to see and not a shocking color change :lol:

4. Time actually sitting on the stool from start to finish... maybe 30 seconds at most. Very quick, painless and only disapointment is no time to actually read anything :roll:

It may be TMI for SAD eaters, but for McDougallers its simply a joy :D

And no, I'm not obsessed over this...just observent :nod:
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Postby verde » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:09 pm

geo wrote:Great answers from Jeff!

From my experience after 6 years McDougalling:

1. I have 3-4 bowel movements a day. Usually 3 between about 6AM and Noon, and sometimes a 4th in late afternoon, early evening. Since my meals are pretty standardized, SNAP Style MWL meals, I'm very well regulated and can just about depend on this schedule 100% these days.

2. From eating till evacuation for me is approximately 17-18 hours. Thats like clockwork as well. Again because I eat pretty much the same type of food everyday.

3. Rather than Jeff's beet test (does anyone really eat beets? Please no hate pm's). I just use the corn test (By far the best tasting starch :-) ). Easy to see and not a shocking color change :lol:

4. Time actually sitting on the stool from start to finish... maybe 30 seconds at most. Very quick, painless and only disapointment is no time to actually read anything :roll:

It may be TMI for SAD eaters, but for McDougallers its simply a joy :D

And no, I'm not obsessed over this...just observent :nod:

Thanks for answering! May I ask what does a typical day of eating consist of to you?
verde

Postby geo » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:40 pm

Generally, 3 meals a day and maybe a snack of a piece of fruit. Here's a pic and description of a typical meal (lunch/dinner):

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=36252&p=367925&hilit=geo+star+mcdougaller#p367925

My breakfast is usually 2 servings of oatmeal or other hot multi-grain cereal with a serving of fruit/berries in it.
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Postby verde » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:33 am

geo wrote:Generally, 3 meals a day and maybe a snack of a piece of fruit. Here's a pic and description of a typical meal (lunch/dinner):

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=36252&p=367925&hilit=geo+star+mcdougaller#p367925

My breakfast is usually 2 servings of oatmeal or other hot multi-grain cereal with a serving of fruit/berries in it.

Interesting, you seem to eat more vegetables and less starch, as opposed to the fifty-fifty ratio Dr.McDougall recommends. Also, how much water do you drink daily?

Oh, and what do you mean by SNAP?
verde

Next

Return to Health Issues