plantar fasciitis

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

plantar fasciitis

Postby forgood » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:33 pm

can the diet help with plantar fasciitis and get rid of it?
forgood

Re: plantar fasciitis

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:46 am

Probably not much. Combination of stretching and strengthening seems to be recognized "best" treatment. If you have been eating a totally crappy, SAD diet and switching to this WOE, the reduction in overall inflammation could be helpful
GeoffreyLevens

Postby forgood » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:47 am

GeoffreyLevens wrote:Probably not much. Combination of stretching and strengthening seems to be recognized "best" treatment. If you have been eating a totally crappy, SAD diet and switching to this WOE, the reduction in overall inflammation could be helpful

thanks for the answer. I really want to go back to the gym, I do some slow walking still. It will be interesting to see how this diet helps.
forgood

Postby Kaye » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:16 pm

I've had plantar fasciitis for 14 years, it got gradually worse over that time and I'm afraid changing to a WFPB diet two years ago didn't help a bit although it did help a lot with my knees which were swollen and painful. I've seen 4 podiatrists in a year and had numerous sets of custom made orthotics, each set more severe than the last. Eventually I decided to sort it out for myself having declined medical intervention such as cortisone injections.

If you can get hold of a book called "Simple steps to foot pain relief" by Katy Bowman that is an excellent place to start and learn all about how our lack of use of the foot muscles (who knew 25 % of our muscles are below the ankle) and wearing the wrong types of footwear that encase our feet and stop them moving properly could cause so many problems? She explains it all really well in the book and gives some good exercises to get you started.

I also found the Youtube channel for Northwest Foot & Ankle a great help both in understanding the issue and correcting it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNPfbB2sX5Q&t=8s

Since March of this year I have abandoned all orthotic insoles and traditional shoes and now go barefoot as much as possible (indoors) and wear barefoot shoes outdoors - I even go on long walks with my dogs in forests, heathland, moorland and over rocks in these minimal shoes rather than my previous rigid walking boots. These shoes have a wide toe box so my toes don't get squished up, my foot muscles can work and the blood and nerve supply can get right where they need to. I use heat instead of ice and do lots of exercises such as spreading my toes, lifting my toes individually (they have the same pulley system as our hands) and stretching.

I can't believe the time and money and pain I spent years putting up with when the answer was really quite simple. I wish you all the best with getting your PF sorted as foot pain is miserable.
Plant-Based Nutrition Certificate, Completed February 2017, T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies and eCornell
Kaye

Postby Vegankit » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:35 pm

Kaye wrote:I've had plantar fasciitis for 14 years, it got gradually worse over that time and I'm afraid changing to a WFPB diet two years ago didn't help a bit although it did help a lot with my knees which were swollen and painful. I've seen 4 podiatrists in a year and had numerous sets of custom made orthotics, each set more severe than the last. Eventually I decided to sort it out for myself having declined medical intervention such as cortisone injections.

If you can get hold of a book called "Simple steps to foot pain relief" by Katy Bowman that is an excellent place to start and learn all about how our lack of use of the foot muscles (who knew 25 % of our muscles are below the ankle) and wearing the wrong types of footwear that encase our feet and stop them moving properly could cause so many problems? She explains it all really well in the book and gives some good exercises to get you started.

I also found the Youtube channel for Northwest Foot & Ankle a great help both in understanding the issue and correcting it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNPfbB2sX5Q&t=8s

Since March of this year I have abandoned all orthotic insoles and traditional shoes and now go barefoot as much as possible (indoors) and wear barefoot shoes outdoors - I even go on long walks with my dogs in forests, heathland, moorland and over rocks in these minimal shoes rather than my previous rigid walking boots. These shoes have a wide toe box so my toes don't get squished up, my foot muscles can work and the blood and nerve supply can get right where they need to. I use heat instead of ice and do lots of exercises such as spreading my toes, lifting my toes individually (they have the same pulley system as our hands) and stretching.

I can't believe the time and money and pain I spent years putting up with when the answer was really quite simple. I wish you all the best with getting your PF sorted as foot pain is miserable.
Kaye, I want to thank you for the links to that video and the book. I've requested that book from my library and I watched the video.

Like Kaye I had plantar fasciitis off and on for many years - physical therapy helped. The podiatrists (I've seen several) all wanted me to purchase custom made orthotics. I always refused because physical therapy and exercises did seem to bring temporary relief. I had a friend who wore custom made orthotics who always complained how he had to put his shoes on in the middle of the night just to walk to the bathroom if he needed to go. On some level I realized it was like putting a cast on a broken arm or leg- leaving you atrophied muscles and tendons.

In 2009 I read Born to Run – Christopher McDougall (I don't believe he is related to Dr. McDougall) when people on the McDougall board were talking about the book. I'm so glad it did - I switched to barefoot running shoes and going barefoot as much as possible. I have not had any plantar pain in my feet since then. When I told the podiatrist at the time that I was going to switch to barefoot running shoes - she was very upset and told me I was going to cause permanent harm to my feet. I said I was going to give it a try and if it didn't work out I would come back - needless to say I haven't seen her in 9 year. Wish I had seen that video and had that book years ago to show my podiatrist back in 2009.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby Kaye » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:44 pm

No problem Vegankit, I'm glad you found it interesting. Thank you for sharing your story too which is reassuring to me that I can hopefully remain pain free into the future. Its strange how I've never noticed my feet moving before but now I just love the feeling when I walk over uneven ground or sand and can feel my feet doing what they are supposed to do :D Do let me know what you think of the book. She has written a whole series of books about movement but be warned she is not vegan and recommends bone broth in one of them :eek: :eek:
Plant-Based Nutrition Certificate, Completed February 2017, T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies and eCornell
Kaye

Postby Vegankit » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:14 pm

Kaye wrote:She has written a whole series of books about movement but be warned she is not vegan and recommends bone broth in one of them :eek: :eek:
Groan - I'll just ignore the dietary advice. I also requested her Dynamic aging : simple exercises for whole-body mobility by Katy Bowman as well.

I'm lucky I happened to read Born to Run or I would have at some point given in to those orthotics. Obviously in Born to Run they didn't discuss exercises or how to heal plantar fasciitis, but just the history of how the modern running shoe was developed and the type of foot injuries that followed as well as the discussion about all the muscles/bones/ligaments etc. really spurred me on to becoming a barefoot fanatic. And you're right - when you walk over uneven surfaces such as rocks or depressions in the ground, you feel it and you feel your foot moving to accommodate - of course it doesn't hurt because there is a flexible sole to protect your feet but I never felt that in regular shoes. And now I'm glad that there is a scientific basis behind this.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby Crystal_Pegasus » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:37 am

In a video I was watching Dr Joel Kahn mentioned that when he did the fast mimicking diet 5 day plan one of the things he noticed was that the plantar fasciitis that he'd had for ages (maybe 12 months, not sure) went away. Not sure if this was after a single bout, or over time, as he did it monthly. So... something to consider maybe? No idea how well it would work, or even if it would... could have been a coincidence. But just thought I'd mention it.
Crystal_Pegasus

Postby Kaye » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:39 am

Vegankit wrote:
Kaye wrote:She has written a whole series of books about movement but be warned she is not vegan and recommends bone broth in one of them :eek: :eek:
Groan - I'll just ignore the dietary advice. I also requested her Dynamic aging : simple exercises for whole-body mobility by Katy Bowman as well.

I'm lucky I happened to read Born to Run or I would have at some point given in to those orthotics. Obviously in Born to Run they didn't discuss exercises or how to heal plantar fasciitis, but just the history of how the modern running shoe was developed and the type of foot injuries that followed as well as the discussion about all the muscles/bones/ligaments etc. really spurred me on to becoming a barefoot fanatic. And you're right - when you walk over uneven surfaces such as rocks or depressions in the ground, you feel it and you feel your foot moving to accommodate - of course it doesn't hurt because there is a flexible sole to protect your feet but I never felt that in regular shoes. And now I'm glad that there is a scientific basis behind this.

I've read that one too, it is interesting but not so many light bulb moments as with the other book. I don't think the dietary advice is in either of the books you have ordered - it was in the one on abdominal muscles I believe. I have one more of hers still to read called Move Your DNA. I like the way she likens the corrective exercises to taking supplements, if we all moved more and in the ways our bodies are designed to such as squatting, stretching, bending, reaching, jumping etc we wouldn't need to do the corrective exercises. However most of us sit far too much and don't use our muscles nearly enough so we have to take supplementary exercises. I actually found doing exercises on my glutes made a difference almost immediately - mine are definitely lazy as I sit for work and the whole chain of movement from the hip to the knee to the feet is connected. I now have my fitbit buzzing me every hour to get up and take at least 250 steps which I try to make into varied activities for 10 minutes every hour. I still have a few issues which I'm working on - not least that I overdid the toe stretching and ended up with pain and bruising underneath my middle toes. I have to learn to not be so impatient :lol:
Kaye

Postby Vegankit » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:51 am

Kaye, I'll be careful with the exercises on my feet - I don't need more trouble.

I was looking through and watching some of the other videos from Northwest Foot & Ankle and came across on about bunion reversal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFgtFRrWses Another great video - I was developing pain and the start of a bunion on my right foot. I instinctively started to stretch the toe straight with both my hands and the toe itself and I got it to straighten out and the pain went away - so I was delighted to see all the things I had done were their suggestions. They have a wealth of useful information.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby Kaye » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:23 am

Vegankit wrote:Kaye, I'll be careful with the exercises on my feet - I don't need more trouble.

I was looking through and watching some of the other videos from Northwest Foot & Ankle and came across on about bunion reversal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFgtFRrWses Another great video - I was developing pain and the start of a bunion on my right foot. I instinctively started to stretch the toe straight with both my hands and the toe itself and I got it to straighten out and the pain went away - so I was delighted to see all the things I had done were their suggestions. They have a wealth of useful information.

Yes they have some really interesting videos and a website. Check out their video on ingrown toenails too.
Kaye

Postby PJK » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:23 am

I recommend the book "Pain Free" by Pete Egoscue. He maintains that most pain is caused by out-of-alignment posture. And he has a bunch of exercises, none strenuous, to help you improve your posture.

You can also check out the whole Egoscue approach online: https://www.egoscue.com/

In the past, I had PF several times. But since starting the Egoscue exercises 3 years ago, no recurrence. I realize that's a sample of just 1, but it's also one happy sample!
PJK

Postby Sharky » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:59 pm

Early in my career as a competitive runner, I was frequently troubled by pf. Once I began wearing neoprene ankle braces while training and racing, the pf resolved and did not return. Support the fascia. Diet, orthotics, barefooting, stretching—none of that helped. I recently gave some old braces to friend who developed pf and he reported good results. Cheap and simple.
Sharky

Postby Willijan » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:49 am

PJK wrote:I recommend the book "Pain Free" by Pete Egoscue. He maintains that most pain is caused by out-of-alignment posture. And he has a bunch of exercises, none strenuous, to help you improve your posture.

You can also check out the whole Egoscue approach online: https://www.egoscue.com/

In the past, I had PF several times. But since starting the Egoscue exercises 3 years ago, no recurrence. I realize that's a sample of just 1, but it's also one happy sample!

Yoga is fantastic for improving posture. I worked on getting better posture for years, with no results. Around 2000, I started doing more yoga. Through the years, I have increased the amount of time and frequency in doing it. The more time I spend on it the better my posture gets. I don't have to think about the way I stand or sit too much, my body just does it. And it makes my whole body feel so much better. You can start with very simple yoga, increasing in "difficulty" as your body changes.
It's important to do a variety of poses. For instance, I try to do a forward bend, a back bend, side bend, and twist in every session. Of course, I usually do more than one, but I just note that I am doing at least one of each. A back bend doesn't mean you have to do something extreme, just something that bends you backward to some extent. Then I also try to do poses so that I stretch the front, back, outside, and inner part of my thighs each session. And of course, in yoga, a pose is not for a specific body part, so if you are stretching, say, the inner thighs, you are also stretching or strengthening other parts of your body and perhaps improving your balance. Then, there are mental benefits too if you keep your mind focused and clear of extraneous thoughts.
And many poses have benefits for the feet. Yoga must be done barefoot.
I'd recommend B.K.S Iyengar's books, or those written by others who follow his system.
Willijan

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:49 am

PJK wrote:I recommend the book "Pain Free" by Pete Egoscue. He maintains that most pain is caused by out-of-alignment posture. And he has a bunch of exercises, none strenuous, to help you improve your posture.

I played w/ "PAIN FREE" book a bit and found zero benefit. About that time a certified Egoscue trainer moved to my town, though they do work via email and Skype. Magic! Speed of relief and progress will vary but working with a trained trainer is worlds different from the book. I think the book came about because Pete Egosuce felt he needed one as pr and because people pushed him to write one. It is essentially a cookbook i.e. back hurts? Do this. Hips hurt? Do this. Personal instruction starts w/ photos similar to what is done with Rolfing so they get a detail graphic of your, unique posture. Also, watching you walk to see how that posture translates into movement. Then very individualized set of exercises is given and re-evaluated and changed (based on new photos) every couple weeks and then gradually at longer and longer intervals. 1st goal is indeed to get you out of pain and fully functional. But the more important goal is to undo all your compensations while rebuilding/repairing your body to healthy alignment in gravity and integrated functioning of all moving parts. I have now been working with this teacher since last December I think and have been repeatedly amazed by the deeper and deeper, and more generalize benefits that result.
GeoffreyLevens

Next

Return to Health Issues