High Systolic Blood Pressure

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

High Systolic Blood Pressure

Postby TOB » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:09 am

I have high systolic blood pressure (180) with normal diastolic blood pressure (60). I have been told that this is caused by a faulty heart valve. How does one know when to consider a valve replacement? I just moved and need to get a new cardiologist, Should this be any particular kind of cardiologist? I have been WFPB for seven years with very low use of added oil. Thanks for considering my questions.
TOB

Re: High Systolic Blood Pressure

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:48 am

I don’t know anything specifically about heart valves, but when faced with a health questions, I evaluate it with BRAN - Benefits, Risks, Alternatives, Nothing. So, what are the benefits of the surgery? Longer life in good health? What are the risks? Are there other options? What happens if you do nothing?

In my personal experience, Dr. McDougall’s advice to follow conservative medical treatment has worked well for me. But, again, I’m not sure if high blood pressure in you situation could cause you long-term complications. Have you tried getting strict about the oil and seeing if that gets it lower? Also, eliminating caffeine?

Good luck on your journey!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:25 pm

Good point that some are very sensitive to caffeine. Re: heart valve--

https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health-topics ... ve-disease

Tests and Procedures

Echocardiography (echo) is the main test for diagnosing heart valve disease. But an EKG (electrocardiogram) or chest x ray commonly is used to reveal certain signs of the condition. If these signs are present, echo usually is done to confirm the diagnosis.

Your doctor also may recommend other tests and procedures if you're diagnosed with heart valve disease. For example, you may have cardiac catheterization, (KATH-eh-ter-ih-ZA-shun), stress testing, or cardiac MRI (magnetic resonance imaging). These tests and procedures help your doctor assess how severe your condition is so he or she can plan your treatment.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby Poison Ivy » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:18 am

@TOB, how long have you had the high systolic BP? What were the recommendations from your treating doctors?
Poison Ivy

Postby TOB » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:28 pm

I had a heart cath six years ago. Cardiologist said that I probably was good for five years before I needed any intervention. I have moved 2000 miles from that doc earlier this year. I am seeking all the info I can get before I start with a new doc. Dr. McDougall seems to encourage resisting unnecessary interventions. I am trying to get as much information as possible before I see a new doc since I know that lots of tests and probably another heart cath is in my near future from a new doc. I think that my 2012 evaluation was probably for someone who eats SAD. I have not eaten SAD the entire 6 years and am sure that my diet has made a difference. The reason my diastolic is consistently around 60 is the control my three BP meds are having. Would appreciate any suggestions.

i think
TOB

Postby Willijan » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:24 pm

I would first follow Lyndzie's ideas of finding out the benefits and risks, and being strict about no oil, and also Geoffrey's idea of avoiding caffeine. I would see one or more cardiologists to discuss benefits and risks, then look it up myself, because I wouldn't trust a doctor to be completely honest about benefits and risks, especially one who supports/does the procedure.
After that, I would consider contacting Dr. Lim, or some other doctor through True North Health Clinic (by phone if you are not nearby), and seeing if they can give you information about benefits and risks, or refer you to someone who can.
Dr. McDougall does seem to be conservative about having unnecessary procedures. But the question is, is this one necessary? It could be.
Willijan

Return to Health Issues