Tingling Tongue, Acid Reflux

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Tingling Tongue, Acid Reflux

Postby Sweety » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:36 pm

First of all, please let me say that I am new to the forum and I am on day 21 (April 25, 2018) of what I like to call "clean eating". I am in total need of advice, please help!!

Since a few days after starting eating this way, I have had a tingling tongue with it burning sometimes. This is crazy, I'm almost wanting to cut my tongue off because of this stupid sensation. What is it and what can I do to get rid of it??

Another problem I've been having for the past 4 days is pretty strong burning in my stomach and a little up the esophagus and throat but no heartburn. I know it's acid reflux. I'm on Pariet for chronic gastritis. I'm still taking it but I've had to take Tums just to get a little relief. Since I've been taking the Pariet, which has been since 2006, I haven't had problems with gastritis until now.

I can't help but think that if I stayed eating the way I was, which wasn't healthy at all according to Dr. McDougall's standards, I wouldn't have these problems and I'd be "fine". The *only* reason I've decided to change the way I eat is because maybe I would get my body back to being healthy. I have a myriad of medical conditions that I would like addressed and for them to get better.

Please help, I'm pretty desperate for relief. If you have any questions for me, please don't hesitate to ask. :)
Sweety

Re: Tingling Tongue, Acid Reflux

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:25 pm

1st step would be to write down everything you eat and see what if anything is on that list that you were not eating before. Eliminate all of those for several days and see if that helps. Lot of other possibilities but that is where I would start.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby Sweety » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:44 pm

There are new spices that haven't been in my diet at all before. My fiance has been the one cooking, not me. He started on this before me and I honestly don't have the energy to cook, so he's been doing all the food prep.

Since the burning started, I haven't eaten much at all. Just some bread, lettuce, mixed veggies, and pasta (no sauce of any kind). Everything's been really plain. I'm at a loss. :(
Sweety

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:20 am

Sweety wrote:First of all, please let me say that I am new to the forum and I am on day 21 (April 25, 2018) of what I like to call "clean eating". I am in total need of advice, please help!!

Since a few days after starting eating this way, I have had a tingling tongue with it burning sometimes. This is crazy, I'm almost wanting to cut my tongue off because of this stupid sensation. What is it and what can I do to get rid of it??

Another problem I've been having for the past 4 days is pretty strong burning in my stomach and a little up the esophagus and throat but no heartburn. I know it's acid reflux. I'm on Pariet for chronic gastritis. I'm still taking it but I've had to take Tums just to get a little relief. Since I've been taking the Pariet, which has been since 2006, I haven't had problems with gastritis until now.

I can't help but think that if I stayed eating the way I was, which wasn't healthy at all according to Dr. McDougall's standards, I wouldn't have these problems and I'd be "fine". The *only* reason I've decided to change the way I eat is because maybe I would get my body back to being healthy. I have a myriad of medical conditions that I would like addressed and for them to get better.

Please help, I'm pretty desperate for relief. If you have any questions for me, please don't hesitate to ask. :)

I'm no doctor, but Burning Mouth Syndrome secondary to acid reflux would be my first guess. I suppose it could also be BMS secondary to allergy or even something else altogether. What foods do you think are irritating your gastritis or causing the reflux? You can look at these links and see if any of the info is helpful to your own situation. Dr. McDougall lists some of the foods you might want to avoid with reflux, like raw onion, peppers, and radishes, spicy condiments and coffee. He also suggests raising the head of your bed 4 inches. You might also consider getting his Digestive Tune Up book, if you don't have it. The last links are videos from webinars discussing sections of that book that I though might be related to your situation.
https://www.medicinenet.com/burning_mou ... rome_facts
https://www.healthcentral.com/article/t ... s-and-gerd
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... digestion/
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... ents/gerd/
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... 3-02-17-2/
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... -03-23-17/
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby Sweety » Wed May 02, 2018 1:48 am

Thank you AlwaysAgnes!!! Yeah, I figured out the burning mouth/tongue was from the acid.

I made some homemade fries for myself and my fiance had made me some ketchup using Mary McDougall's recipe. The recipe calls for cayenne pepper, so he made it with the cayenne. So I was eating my fries with this ketchup and yeah, it was spicy. I had it twice before and it didn't taste as spicy but this particular time it seemed HOT. So I kept eating it. Almost immediately after finishing my supper, I didn't feel good at all but it wasn't horrible, I just thought it would pass. Next day, I was eating some boiled mini potatoes with some homemade gravy, again, Mary McDougall's recipe which was pretty plain, and I couldn't finish it. My tummy had just turned on a dime. Since then, I've had the burning and acid reflux like you wouldn't believe.

I spent most of yesterday at the hospital getting checked out just because I almost couldn't take anymore of the burning. I got a test for H. pylori done and since I don't have a family doctor at the moment because mine left, the doctor at the hospital gave me an H. Pac to take. If you're not familiar, it's a pack that contains 2 different antibiotics and an acid reducer. I am supposed to take that concoction morning and night to kill the buggies. I really hope that it helps because I honestly don't know what else to do. :(

Since I have had gastritis for so long, I am aware of the foods that I can't eat, that are triggers for me. A big trigger is peppers, as you mention. Onions aren't horrible, but they have to be a certain kind and they can't be too overpowering in a dish. But yep, the spicy condiment got me and good. You also mention coffee, that's not a problem because I only drink water, nothing else.

My fiance already raised the bed quite a while ago for himself. Our doctor at the time suggested it for his acid reflux so that's covered. :)

Wow, sorry for the novel and life story. I didn't realize I could ramble on. But hey, too much info is *sometimes* better than not enough. ;)
Sweety

Postby dmeitner » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:05 am

I've had tingling, burning and just plain super hot tongue and mouth for 2 years now. It's miserable. Also have many Sjogren's symptoms that are equally as miserable. I try hard to control this with my diet but it's very difficult. I'm doing something new now and that is taking okra supplements. I'll try anything so if anyone has ANY suggestions, PLEASE, PLEASE share. I am on the starch solution diet already and have been on it since November, 2017. I LOVE that I have have lost a lot of weight. Went from a size 10 to a size 4 and look and feel so much better in many ways but this burning, hot mouth, dry eyes and dry everything, including RA symptoms has really got me down. Like I said, I do try everything and will continue to do so.
dmeitner

Postby Vegankit » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:36 pm

dmeitner wrote:I've had tingling, burning and just plain super hot tongue and mouth for 2 years now. It's miserable. Also have many Sjogren's symptoms that are equally as miserable. I try hard to control this with my diet but it's very difficult. I'm doing something new now and that is taking okra supplements. I'll try anything so if anyone has ANY suggestions, PLEASE, PLEASE share. I am on the starch solution diet already and have been on it since November, 2017. I LOVE that I have have lost a lot of weight. Went from a size 10 to a size 4 and look and feel so much better in many ways but this burning, hot mouth, dry eyes and dry everything, including RA symptoms has really got me down. Like I said, I do try everything and will continue to do so.
You might want to see a dermatologist to get checked for Oral lichen planus and a rheumatologist for Sjogren's syndrome. Try to avoid a lip biopsy if you can. Follow Dr. McDougall's elimination diet to clarify what foods to avoid - eating the least irritating food helps settle the symptoms. Sip water through the day or chew sugar free gum or candy as needed.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:36 pm

I was dealing with burning tongue, and found out that it was related to my low iron. When I addressed the iron, my mouth felt better!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Return to Health Issues