Eliminate brown rice and sweet potato on elimination diet?

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Eliminate brown rice and sweet potato on elimination die

Postby tlauria » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:16 pm

Keep at it Jamietwo! It’s so annoying to have to go back down to elimination stage.
tlauria

Postby tlauria » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:57 pm

Hi all,

Updating this in case anyone has suggestions they would like to share. I truly love to browse the boards and find them very helpful.

With the right physical therapist my knees are now much better, but still very uncomfortable. I do believe that the PT has taken care of the functional stuff, and that the resulting discomfort must be inflammation that won’t go away due to my inflammation issues. And if I am being truly honest, since starting McDougalls’ WOE a year ago, while my hands are at least 90-95% better, I can still feel that inflammation is in there if I carry a bag the wrong way, etc, so I am sure I need to fine tune my food choices and see if I can kick out this lasting inflammation.

So, I have been off the sweet potatoes for a month now and no real improvement, but I would still like to come off brown rice at the same time and try at least a week without both. Today I started this and will be eating:

Beans (I need something starchy and filling)
Bananas
Spinach
Apples
Cantaloupe
Carrots
Sugar snap peas or green beans

I really hope I can make it a week without brown rice. I eat it all day long- rice, rice crackers, rice pasta. Honestly I am starving today, the above foods not filling me that much. I am only 114 pounds- think I can add an avocado in each day so that I have something to fill me up? Is that typically considered safe for most people (most people who don’t have to worry about the fat content).

Thanks McDougallers!
Tiffany
tlauria

Postby LakeConroePenny » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:17 am

[quote: I second the suggestion for winter squash if you can tolerate it. I've found that if I bake or microwave them whole, then let them cool, its easy to cut them open, scoop the seeds out, and then work with them. Acorn squash are great for stuffing ... well, if you had any safe foods left to stuff them with! ;-) I've also seen frozen and cubed winter squash.[/i] /quote]

If you are like many people who don't want to eat microwaved food, you can wash a squash, potato, carrots, or what-have-you, don't dry it, and just put it in a crock pot. There are also little crock-pots available these days, and they are just the job for cooking one potato, or overnight steel-cut oats. No excuse for not having some nourishing cooked food, just keep a crock-pot going.
Happy Eating, Penny
LakeConroePenny

Postby tlauria » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:21 am

I can probably do squash, will consider adding that in as well. Thanks!
tlauria

Postby LakeConroePenny » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:30 am

[quote= Hi all, So, I have been off the sweet potatoes for a month now and no real improvement, but I would still like to come off brown rice at the same time and try at least a week without both.

I really hope I can make it a week without brown rice. I eat it all day long- rice, rice crackers, rice pasta. Honestly I am starving today, the above foods not filling me that much. I am only 114 pounds- think I can add an avocado in each day so that I have something to fill me up? Is that typically considered safe for most people (most people who don’t have to worry about the fat content). Thanks McDougallers. Tiffany[
/quote]

Hi Tiffany, Most rice, even brown, has arsenic in it because a lot of the rice paddys were cotton fields. They used arsenic to kill the boll-weevils.
So rice must be well rinsed before cooking it in LOTS of water, like pasta, drained and the cooking water thrown out. It isn't like veggie water which should be re-used for the extra nutrients in it.
I hope that you will feel a lot better once you eliminate the rice. Happy Eating, Penny
LakeConroePenny

Postby Jobet » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:05 am

Hi Tiffany,

I can't eat rice (brown or white), oats, wheat, without severe joint pain especially in my fingers, hands, arms, feet, ankles, etc. So, I eat sweet potato, quinoa and millet and do fine with those. I see from above you can't eat quinoa. Have you tried millet? Perhaps, millet will be a grain you can tolerate.

I truly hope you find the cause of your pain.
Blessings,

Jobet
Jobet

Postby tlauria » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:18 am

Thank you Jobet. I have tried millet yet, it’s is definitely on my list for trying once I can add food back in!
tlauria

Postby LakeConroePenny » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:30 am

tlauria wrote:Thank you Jobet. I have tried millet yet, it’s is definitely on my list for trying once I can add food back in!

Hi Tiffany, All the beans have a lot of protein, so they could be the main part of your diet, and there are so may kinds that they shouldn't get boring. Make them into hummus to spread on things, or as a sauce, or eat it straight.
Then there are so many green beans and peas, french cut, regular, and my favorites Italian cut and snow peas. Have you tried lentils? Happy Eating! Penny
LakeConroePenny

Previous

Return to Health Issues