Eliminate brown rice and sweet potato on elimination diet?

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Eliminate brown rice and sweet potato on elimination diet?

Postby tlauria » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:50 pm

Hello,

I am looking for a suggestion on how I can eliminate brown rice and sweet potatoes during the elimination diet. I did the diet about 9 months ago and had good results and generally know my trigger foods now. My base foods are brown rice and sweet potato- I eat tons of brown rice, like brown rice noodles, brown rice crackers, etc.

I was just diagnosed with chrondromalacia and patellar-femoral syndrome. I feel it is unrelated to food because foods have never bothered my knees before, more likely a functional issue. Still, it is unresponsive to physical therapy thus far so I have to at least consider a food issue.

I am slowly eliminating foods again (goodness I hate to do this again!) and this week I am only eating brown rice, sweet potatoes, green veggies, apples, mangoes and mustard. I can’t help but wonder if it could be the brown rice or potatoes- oddly enough my hands are hurting this week and they haven’t hurt in a while! Mustard has never bothered me before either, but since it’s so hard to eliminate foods again, I am allowing myself some flavor.

Suggestions for what can I live on for a week or two while I eliminate rice and potatoes? I don’t think veggies and fruit will satiate me enough and I will fail. Quinoa is too high protein and creates immediate joint pain.

Thank you!
Tiffany
tlauria

Re: Eliminate brown rice and sweet potato on elimination die

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:52 pm

tlauria wrote:Hello,

I am looking for a suggestion on how I can eliminate brown rice and sweet potatoes during the elimination diet. I did the diet about 9 months ago and had good results and generally know my trigger foods now. My base foods are brown rice and sweet potato- I eat tons of brown rice, like brown rice noodles, brown rice crackers, etc.

I was just diagnosed with chrondromalacia and patellar-femoral syndrome. I feel it is unrelated to food because foods have never bothered my knees before, more likely a functional issue. Still, it is unresponsive to physical therapy thus far so I have to at least consider a food issue.

I am slowly eliminating foods again (goodness I hate to do this again!) and this week I am only eating brown rice, sweet potatoes, green veggies, apples, mangoes and mustard. I can’t help but wonder if it could be the brown rice or potatoes- oddly enough my hands are hurting this week and they haven’t hurt in a while! Mustard has never bothered me before either, but since it’s so hard to eliminate foods again, I am allowing myself some flavor.

Suggestions for what can I live on for a week or two while I eliminate rice and potatoes? I don’t think veggies and fruit will satiate me enough and I will fail. Quinoa is too high protein and creates immediate joint pain.

Thank you!
Tiffany

Maybe winter squash.
You could read through this and see if anything helps. http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=faq&dbid=30
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby tlauria » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:04 pm

Thank you.
tlauria

Postby Vegankit » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:11 pm

I have allergies or intolerances to gluten, rice and corn. When I did the elimination diet the first time I was eating a lot of rice and couldn't figure out why the elimination diet wasn't working well for me............later I figured out that rice was my problem. Instead of rice, I eat quinoa. When get far enough into the elimination diet that you have some veggies for a stir fry - they are wonderful over quinoa.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby tlauria » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:22 pm

Thank you VeganKit. Unfortunately quinoa is one of the foods that gives me joint pain. Too much protein for me I think. :(
tlauria

Postby SonjaK » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:53 pm

Here's a link to a McDougall newsletter for a "diet for the desperate" (i.e. elimination diet):

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2002nl ... 00diet.htm

Some highlights are cooking all food. And from the sound of it, mango and mustard might not be the best.

I've also read about other people having a lot of success with the primary green vegetable for short-term elimination diet being zucchini because it's reactive for so few people (and fits within his "summer squash" recommendation).

Good luck!
Sonja
SonjaK

Postby tlauria » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:59 pm

Thanks SonjaK. I will check it out.
tlauria

Postby LakeConroePenny » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:51 am

Hi tlauria,
You could try just white potatoes, organic if you wish, as they are one of "The Dirty Dozen".
There are people who are living on white potatoes only, and doing very well on that diet. :)
Happy Trails, Penny.
LakeConroePenny

Postby tlauria » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:46 am

Thank you LakeConroePenny.
tlauria

Postby LakeConroePenny » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:13 am

Also, tlauria, I just had the thought: Are you drinking enough water? Aching is a symptom of dehydration. Your body needs water to function properly. Best wishes on your journey, Happy Trails, Penny
LakeConroePenny

Postby tlauria » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:45 am

Trying :~)
tlauria

Postby Bkworm » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:45 am

Hello Lauria,

I did find from an elimination diet that my body does not tolerate rice or oats at all. The only grains I can eat are corn, quinoa, and buckwheat. Have discovered quinoa flakes to use instead of oats or rice or cooked quinoa or buckwheat for cooked rice or oats in a recipe. It takes some experimenting working with them in a recipe.

I followed an ED for about seven months. The main thing I learned was that all foods are suspect for my body until proven otherwise.

Someone made a comment about cooked foods on the ED. I found that I can’t eat fresh tomatoes but can eat cooked tomatoes. There are several veggies my body does not tolerate fresh, but I can eat when they are cooked.

An ED can be very boring but I found it to be well worth the effort because of all the relief I found once I eliminated the food triggers.

Good luck with your journey on the WFPB way of eating. As far as I am concerned, it is worth all the effort to be pain free.
Bkworm

Postby tlauria » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:56 am

Thank you BKworm. I can’t have quinoa unfortunately, but appreciate your experience.
tlauria

Postby Willijan » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:50 pm

tlauria,
I was very interested in your post; it is quite a difficult problem. If you try any of these options--such as winter squash or white potatoes--I would be pleased to read what happened and how it worked for you. May be trying it myself. Thanks!
Willijan

Postby jamietwo » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:51 pm

I feel for you tlauria! I second the suggestion for winter squash if you can tolerate it. I've found that if I bake or microwave them whole, then let them cool, its easy to cut them open, scoop the seeds out, and then work with them. Acorn squash are great for stuffing ... well, if you had any safe foods left to stuff them with! ;-) I've also seen frozen and cubed winter squash.

I should be doing this right along with you. I lived on what I thought were my 10 "safe foods": long grain brown rice, collard greens, kale, cabbage, broccoli, carrots, apples, blueberries, raisins, dates for around 2 years. But after living through the worst of a scary lupus flare in 2013, I let the doctor talk me into taking plaquenil because I was losing so much weight (bmi fell to 16 which explains the inclusion of raisins and dates). Now, I'm still on the plaquenil, although I've reduced the dose, feeling good, still eating like I need to gain weight :-P , and my bmi is up to 21. This would probably be a good time to do another elimination diet ... and time to scrap the raisins and dates!!
Jamie
jamietwo

Next

Return to Health Issues