Why can't I get my numbers under control???

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Why can't I get my numbers under control???

Postby NoMoreMedicine! » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:49 am

Hi
I was diagnosed type 2 diabetic 11 years ago
I have followed a diary and meat free diet for over 7 years. I lost 30 pounds in that time. I am losing weight without trying, eating what I should but my was tested today at 146, and I fasted!! The doctors want to put me back on Invocana or Metformin and Statins!! I keep saying no to the medication believing I can get better without medicine. My grandmother passed away from insulin dependent diabetes. She has 16 medications before she died. I am afraid that my body is not responding to my healthy diet and the medications, dialysis and doctors orders are my future. Please, whatever advice you can give would be awesome
I am in my doctors office now and she is writing prescriptions :(

Thanks
NoMoreMedicine!

Re: Why can't I get my numbers under control???

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:51 pm

NoMoreMedicine! wrote:Hi
I was diagnosed type 2 diabetic 11 years ago
I have followed a diary and meat free diet for over 7 years. I lost 30 pounds in that time. I am losing weight without trying, eating what I should but my was tested today at 146, and I fasted!! The doctors want to put me back on Invocana or Metformin and Statins!! I keep saying no to the medication believing I can get better without medicine. My grandmother passed away from insulin dependent diabetes. She has 16 medications before she died. I am afraid that my body is not responding to my healthy diet and the medications, dialysis and doctors orders are my future. Please, whatever advice you can give would be awesome
I am in my doctors office now and she is writing prescriptions :(

Thanks

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2009nl ... abetes.htm
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Re: Why can't I get my numbers under control???

Postby Atheria » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:54 am

Hi NoMoreMedicine,

What is a typical day like for you food-wise?

Although I've got my own blood sugar struggles, I noticed that when I do an hour of strength/bone building yoga after dinner...my numbers are clearly better than after other meals. Of course, I can't do an hour of yoga after every single meal though. But, I read of this study years ago where a simple 10 minute fast walk after a meal brought diabetics' numbers down shockingly well. They didn't spike nearly as bad as they normally wood after eating.

If you can get access to one, I highly recommend wearing a 24/7 blood glucose monitor for a week. Your doctor will insert a tiny needle into some fat (usually in the abdomen) and you write down everything you eat and when, and note any exercise you do. You can clearly see, via the printout from downloading data, how you respond to each food. Some things will surprise you. This diabetes counselor had a male patient who had pretty good numbers for the whole week except for this one afternoon where his blood sugar SKYROCKETED to some insane number. She asked him, "What the heck did you eat on Tuesday at 3 p.m.?!" He'd eaten one of those single serving size bags of Doritos. In my case, my blood sugar went higher than it should after seemingly innocent oatmeal with some vegan protein powder (no sugar in it) and cinnamon.

Best wishes,
Atheria
~ ATHERIA ~
www.bridge4spirit.wordpress.com
Atheria

Return to Health Issues