HbA1C of 12!

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

HbA1C of 12!

Postby susanbehan » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:43 pm

My husband is 46 years old and was diagnosed with diabetes at age 40. He has changed doctors at least 3 times since his diagnosis. His current doctor allowed him to go a full year between visits. Yesterday his A1C was 12!! I have been following a WFPB for the past 2 years because my physician recommended I watch FOKs when my cholesterol was creeping up to 240. The documentary was life changing for me! How do I get my husband on board? He eats the meals I make, but then snacks and eats a lot of meals out b/c of his job. His doctor wants him to start insulin injections. How quickly can he turn his numbers around if he sticks to the WFPB plan? How dangerous is it for him to not be put on insulin when his sugars are running in 300-400s? I would love to find a doctor in our area who can help treat him naturally with food and not pills/insulin. Please help :(
susanbehan

Re: HbA1C of 12!

Postby f00die » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:11 pm

susanbehan wrote:My husband is 46 years old and was diagnosed with diabetes at age 40. He has changed doctors at least 3 times since his diagnosis. His current doctor allowed him to go a full year between visits. Yesterday his A1C was 12!! I have been following a WFPB for the past 2 years because my physician recommended I watch FOKs when my cholesterol was creeping up to 240. The documentary was life changing for me! How do I get my husband on board? He eats the meals I make, but then snacks and eats a lot of meals out b/c of his job. His doctor wants him to start insulin injections. How quickly can he turn his numbers around if he sticks to the WFPB plan? How dangerous is it for him to not be put on insulin when his sugars are running in 300-400s? I would love to find a doctor in our area who can help treat him naturally with food and not pills/insulin. Please help :(

sounds like he needs to take ownership of the problem.
doctor-shopping, and
how does a doctor "allow" you to do anything?
get him to see your physician. the one who recommended FOKs. thats a decent physician, so far.
then he needs to grab the bull by the horns and follow a healthy diet. (mcdougall's)
blood sugars that high are DEFINITELY damaging tissues (blood vessels, nerves, kidneys etc.)
plus he's young. 46 is half of how long he could possibly live.
need to get on top of this yesterday, or its blindness, amputations, dialysis etc. coming up.
coz of letting doctors "allow" him to do this or that, and eating crap.
its not the doctor's eyes or limbs.
f00die

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:54 am

As f00die said, no time to waste! He does need to get right on it. An ideal thing would be to get started now and either just him or better still, both of you go to a 10 Day Immersion to really get grounded in this way of eating. Deep learning makes it much easier in the long run. There is one coming up in June

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/prog ... y-program/

But definitely he should NOT wait to get started but rather jump in 100%, and probably at least for awhile the MWL approach for fastest results

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2005nl ... ushing.htm
GeoffreyLevens

Postby f1jim » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:15 am

You can lead a horse to water.......
If anyone is going to make significant diet and lifestyle changes it will only happen when THEY decide to change. You can't wish them into compliance. They will not do it just to make you happy. They will change when THEY want to change. You can plant some seeds (books, videos, events) but they are for naught till someone internally makes the choice to change.
It's agonizing for someone that cares for the person that is in need of such changes. It is heart wrenching to see someone destroy themselves from within.
Be the best possible example and hang on for the ride!
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby LaurieO » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:22 pm

I have the same issue. I've been vegetarian for about 6 years now and this year I'm hoping to finally convince myself to go wfpb. I n any case... my husband is also type 2 diabetic. We live in a rural place in Oklahoma, heavy meat eating part of the country. (fortunately I'm about 30 minutes from Tulsa which has some veg friendly options. ) My husband's been type 2 for 12 years now. Before I became vegetarian he and I both tried atkins. I had some success on it but he did not. At one point we were donating plasma and in the height of our atkins adventure he would get deferred because his blood was too fatty. Fast forward years later and at this point He has spent a year not takimg care of his diabetes. he recently went to the dr got a whole slew of new prescriptions including insulin... and a heaping dose of nutrirional advice about going low carb again. For the most part over the years Ive been very non activist in my household...cooking both veg and meat meals for our house hold of 2 vegetarians (my son smd myself) and 2 meat eaters (husband and daughter)

This time around i showed him the starch solution and fok etc. I tried to show him success stories but he isn't interested. He keeps telling me he can't eat starch. So I finally decided... all I can do is take care of myself and maybe lead by example. That's why I've come back to this forum. I'm sorry you are going through a similar situation. If I find anything that may help I'll let you know.

I don't know about you...or anyone else who had dealt with family who have diabetes but ro me its like a disease of craving comfort at any cost. If they want food...they move heaven and earth to eat and eat as much of it as they can. Diabetics are like zombies with food. My mother and grandmother are diabetics and are the same sadly. I need to gwt my act together too or I'll likely be diabetic at some point.

ps please excuse my typos.... I'm writing this from my phone.
LaurieO

Postby pundit999 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:18 am

I believe diabetes is one of the easiest diseases to control through the whole food plant based diet with no added oil. I think within weeks. Especially if the disease is new.

People have negative connotations about "Starch". Say that it is a plants only diet. Buy him Dr Barnard's book on diabetes.

Diabetes hollows people out from within. Rapid clogging of arteries is one big problem. Going blind prematurely is another among other very bad things. And it is so sad that this is all easily avoidable if you just eat the right way. It is not cancer!

I agree with others that you can't make the change for him unfortunately. He has to be motivated to do this. But don't despair and keep trying. Our environment is toxic and we are slave to the pleasure trap. Accept him for who he is, be kind but keep showing the right path.
pundit999

Return to Health Issues