RA/High Cholesterol/Triglycerides

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

RA/High Cholesterol/Triglycerides

Postby johnled » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:32 am

Just got blood work back and my Triglycerides are 465 and Total Cholesterol 280, HDL is 44

BUN and BUN/Creatinine Ratio were both -5 (low) but by Googling I was able to find that a low protein high carb diet can cause that.

All other numbers great, protein, calcium, sodium... everything smack dab in the middle of the normal range.

I've got RA and been on several meds for about 2 years; setroids, XelJanx, Plaqunil, and Mobic are the most recent ones, many dose packs and injections over the years.

I've been plant based diet for over 12 years so how can I have high Cholesterol if not for the RA or meds? I live on brown rice, black beans and potatoes.

My mom does not have problems with either, I'm checking to see if my dad did.

I do own a fudge shop and I may have 2-3 ounces of fudge a month, have to sample the product, but I cannot imagine that being enough dairy to cause any problems. Honestly, I cannot tell you the last time I had even a taste.
johnled

Re: RA/High Cholesterol/Triglycerides

Postby f00die » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:44 am

id look at the RA meds as the reason
for example,
https://www.drugs.com/pro/xeljanz.html
Lipid Elevations
In the controlled clinical trials, dose-related elevations in lipid parameters (total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol, HDL cholesterol, triglycerides) were observed at one month of exposure and remained stable thereafter.

plus corticosteroids increase lipids
each med is contributing an increase
f00die

Postby johnled » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:27 am

Thank you! Now I've got to figure out how to get them down. I can't function without the XelJanz.

f00die wrote:id look at the RA meds as the reason
for example,
https://www.drugs.com/pro/xeljanz.html
Lipid Elevations
In the controlled clinical trials, dose-related elevations in lipid parameters (total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol, HDL cholesterol, triglycerides) were observed at one month of exposure and remained stable thereafter.

plus corticosteroids increase lipids
each med is contributing an increase
johnled

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:58 am

johnled wrote:Just got blood work back and my Triglycerides are 465 and Total Cholesterol 280, HDL is 44

BUN and BUN/Creatinine Ratio were both -5 (low) but by Googling I was able to find that a low protein high carb diet can cause that.

All other numbers great, protein, calcium, sodium... everything smack dab in the middle of the normal range.

I've got RA and been on several meds for about 2 years; setroids, XelJanx, Plaqunil, and Mobic are the most recent ones, many dose packs and injections over the years.

I've been plant based diet for over 12 years so how can I have high Cholesterol if not for the RA or meds? I live on brown rice, black beans and potatoes.

My mom does not have problems with either, I'm checking to see if my dad did.

I do own a fudge shop and I may have 2-3 ounces of fudge a month, have to sample the product, but I cannot imagine that being enough dairy to cause any problems. Honestly, I cannot tell you the last time I had even a taste.

Dairy can be a big offender when it comes to RA and other autoimmune diseases. Maybe you don't need to eat much of it very often to cause ongoing problems related to RA. And drugs always have their side effects. Steroids can raise triglycerides/cholesterol.
https://www.everydayhealth.com/high-cho ... olesterol/

If you'd always let someone else taste the fudge, maybe the RA would get better and you wouldn't need the drugs that might be raising your cholesterol. If you do have a genetic tendency to make more cholesterol, it would seem to me that that trait would be exasperated by the addition of milk, cream, butter, and steroids. (Genetics loading the gun vs environment pulling the trigger yada yada.)

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2014nl ... ncases.htm
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Return to Health Issues