Bio-identical hormones

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Bio-identical hormones

Postby lrogowski » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:00 pm

I just posted this in The Lounge but then discovered this "Health Issues" topic:

Could I please get opinions regarding bio-identical hormone usage for menopausal women? My wellness physician is recommending that I start a regimen but I am very hesitant. I have no symptoms, eat a whole foods plant based diet (and have for 10 years), cycle regularly, kayak during the summer and do yoga at least 5 times a week. My doctor is telling me that beginning this regimen is not necessarily for my current health but to preserve my good health and active lifestyle into my 70s and 80s. I can't find this subject discussed by any of the functional medicine physicians whom I follow, including Dr. McDougall. Can't the negative repercussions the hormones are supposed to address be dealt with through diet and lifestyle?
lrogowski

Re: Bio-identical hormones

Postby f00die » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:24 pm

lrogowski wrote:I just posted this in The Lounge but then discovered this "Health Issues" topic:

Could I please get opinions regarding bio-identical hormone usage for menopausal women? My wellness physician is recommending that I start a regimen but I am very hesitant. I have no symptoms, eat a whole foods plant based diet (and have for 10 years), cycle regularly, kayak during the summer and do yoga at least 5 times a week. My doctor is telling me that beginning this regimen is not necessarily for my current health but to preserve my good health and active lifestyle into my 70s and 80s. I can't find this subject discussed by any of the functional medicine physicians whom I follow, including Dr. McDougall. Can't the negative repercussions the hormones are supposed to address be dealt with through diet and lifestyle?

sounds like a quack trying to sell you supplements. (what's functional medicine?...)
i dont remember hearing that the healthy old people in the blue zones
were taking bio-identical hormones.
i heard they practices healthy patterns of diet and activity
f00die

Re: Bio-identical hormones

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:45 am

lrogowski wrote:I just posted this in The Lounge but then discovered this "Health Issues" topic:

If you don't have symptoms that you want to alleviate, there's not a reason to take hormone replacement. I found these two links below that may have more info for you. In them Dr. McDougall talks about what he prescribes. I think that they are bio-identical hormones going by info found here https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/319465.php

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... menopause/
https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2002nl/jul/stophrt.htm
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Return to Health Issues