looking for thoughts/advice

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

looking for thoughts/advice

Postby jonis » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:20 am

I'm looking for thoughts and/or advice on my situation. I'll try to keep my story short. I am 60 years old. Prior to 1/2017, I would say I had no joint pain, no health issues, taking no medications, active (bicycling is my favorite activity), I am overweight. I had a fall that damaged my right knee. I didn't seek medical attention until 4/2017 where an MRI revealed several meniscus tears, ACL tear, several areas of near or complete cartilage loss and/or erosion, and a large joint effusion. My physician suggested physical therapy which I completed and returned to riding my bicycle. 7/2017 brought more sharp pain and I scheduled surgery for the meniscus tears, this was competed in 9/17 at which time the joint effusion fluid showed chronic synovitis. ACL was not repaired, physician didn't recommend since I am not a runner. I was refered to a rheumatologist. Rheumatologist ordered blood tests and hand X-rays. Hand X-rays showed no evidence of inflammatory arthropathy, moderate normal "wear and tear". My blood tests revealed Sed rate of 58, Rheum factor of 23, Anti CCP of 53.7. Rheumatologist wanted to immediately place me on Plaquenil. I have coworkers that eat the McDougall plan so I wanted to try that first. I religiously followed the plan for the last 3 months and had follow up blood work several days ago. I feel great and have no joint pain other than minor R knee pain which I attribute to the damage that has been done. I still take no medications. My sed rate result was 105 and the C-reactive is 2.2. Needless to say, I am disappointed.

Thank you for any advice and/or thoughts you may have!
jonis

Re: looking for thoughts/advice

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:17 am

To my very limited understanding, your CRP is in normal range but sed rate is elevated which shows inflammation (somewhere). That could even be from the excess weight but also residual inflammation in knee. If it were me I would double down on the McDougall way of eating, go with MWL for awhile and lose the excess. Then see what your numbers test. Along the way, there are quite a few anti-inflammatory herbs that are very tasty spices. Curry blends come immediately to mind with their turmeric root.
GeoffreyLevens

Re: looking for thoughts/advice

Postby jonis » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:44 pm

Thanks for the input, I forgot to mention that I have lost 40 lbs. so far.
jonis

Return to Health Issues