Bad fall

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Bad fall

Postby americaninca46 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:37 am

Good morning, So glad to be plant based these days. Took a fall on Friday and injured my shoulder. We had a bad storm. First lots of snow. Then melting. more snow covered the ice and then a slip and fall. Landed on my shoulder and jammed the arm into the shoulder socket. No broken bones on exray. Having ultra sound tomorrow to determine soft tissue injury and possible hairline fracture. very painful. In an immobilizing brace. Sleeping sitting up. very doable. managing pain okay. I know my good diet will help me heal faster. also my bones are surely stronger or I may have broken my hip in the fall. i have been plant based for over a year now. it will be fun to have my friends help me cook. hopefully it will inspire them. also my simple way of eating and cooking things ahead of time has left me well prepared for this glitch in my life. thank you all for the inspiration and hope you that give me whenever I read your posts. I am a bit bored with so much time on my hands. i had been dealing with tendonitis in both shoulders for the last 6 months. The pain had recently gotten so much better. So shoulder pain is o stranger to me. ha ha. At least I do have one good arm now. Thanks for letting me ramble on. REBIA
americaninca46

Re: Bad fall

Postby viv » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:09 am

Hi Rebia,

So sorry to hear of your bad fall, how awful for you. Yes I agree that your good diet will definitely help you heal faster. We are so lucky to eat this way, our bodies heal so much faster than others. Take care of yourself and rest and relax. I am sending lots of positive healing vibes your way!

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby Willijan » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:41 pm

I am glad you can use one arm and have friends to help you! Life can become very difficult on a moment's notice. It sounds like you have everything under control--except maybe the boredom!

I fell (while dancing wildly) and broke my hip in 2014. I experienced the boredom. I couldn't put any weight on that leg for 6 weeks, so I couldn't do much except sit on the couch and read.

My doctor said I should have lots of dairy. For a day or two I had soymilk, I think. Then I decided to just eat my regular diet--cooked in a hilarious manner by my husband. He'd be chopping vgetables, some would get under the cutting board, and he'd just keep on chopping on a slanted board!

I healed great. After six weeks I just started walking. My doctors were both impressed. I needed physical therapy to get rid of a limp--just some stretches. So you will probably heal great too.
Willijan

Postby americaninca46 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:28 pm

Thanks so much to you both for the kind words and encouragement.. I am on the phone a lot. Just praying I won't need surgery. The pain is better today. I had hip replacement 11 years ago. Arthritis ate my socket after an accident fractured my hip. If I had been eating this way at the time I probably would have healed better not gotten arthritis. I am really happy where I am at right now health wise. Really would like to wash my hair. Can't bend forward or lay back. Oh well. I am enjoying reading all the posts. Thanks again, Rebia
americaninca46

Postby americaninca46 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:41 am

Well here I am almost a month later. Just had my ultrasound and found out i have a fractured shoulder. Seems like I should have had the test sooner but there is such a waiting list for ultrasounds. Any way I have been doing physio and it seems to help with the pain. Trying to maintain mobility. Seems like the break is in the humeral head. Cracked ball of the joint in the shoulder. I was just wondering if i should be eating more of certain foods to help with the healing. I also have a torn tendon. Do not need surgery. Whew, what a relief there. I am wfpb to a tee. Just not sure if I need more of certain nutrients at this time. The Dr. was concerned that I had bruised so badly. He asked if i was on blood thinners, I am not. Should i be building my blood somehow? All help is greatly appreciated. It will be a long recovery, but i am optimistic. Thanks, Rebia
americaninca46

Postby americaninca46 » Tue May 22, 2018 9:47 am

Good morning, Seems like I have healed faster than expected. Guess i had two torn tendons instead of one. The break healed nicely. The physio has helped but will stop it soon as I have to pay $50 a treatment. I know all the exercises now and do them at home. Unless they hurt too much. Trying to keep mobile. I have improved the movement 80%. At my age, it may not recover 100%. I am happy with the progress and can do all of my tasks on my own again. I found that I lost some weight (7 lbs. ) Did not try anything different except quit putting walnuts in my hot cereal. Had the munchies a lot due to boredom., but survived that also. It was so nice to visit you all every morning and read about all the interesting challenges and victories. Thanks so much for your encouragement. Had a friend help me with cooking. She learned a bit about eating plant based. I am very cautious doing stairs and walking out side. Never want to fall again. Rebia
americaninca46

Postby jamietwo » Fri May 25, 2018 6:15 pm

So wonderful that you've healed faster than expected! I'll bet its your healthy diet! Sounds like you have a good attitude too! :nod: Congratulations!
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby f00die » Fri May 25, 2018 7:39 pm

:-D
Luigi Cornaro (1464-1566 a.d.) in How to Live 100 Years, or Discourses on the Sober Life
Luigi Cornaro wrote:But I may go a step farther, and show how favorable to recoveryis a temperate life, in case of accident. At the age of seventy years, I happened,as is often the case, to be in a coach, which, going at a smart rate, was upset,and in that condition drawn a considerable way before the horses could be stopped.I received so many shocks and bruises, that I was taken out with my head and bodyterribly battered, and a dislocated leg and arm. When the physicians saw me in sobad a plight, they concluded that in three days I should die, but thought they wouldtry what bleeding and purging would do, in order to prevent inflammation and fever.But I, on the contrary, knowing that, by reason of the sober life I had lived forso many years, my blood was in good and pure condition, refused to be either purgedor bled. I just caused my arm and leg to be set, and suffered myself to be rubbedwith some oils, which they said were proper on the occasion. Thus, without usingany other kind of remedy, I recovered, as I thought I should, without feeling theleast alteration in myself, or any bad effects from the accident; a thing which appearedno less than miraculous in the eyes of the physicians.

Seems like I have healed faster than expected.

seems theres a track record?
f00die

Postby americaninca46 » Thu May 31, 2018 9:41 am

Thanks Jamie and foodie. I loved Luigi's story. At 72 I have been told that I will have bad arthritis, but know that is not true. The body is and amazing thing when fed properly. My friend's brother has just gone plant based so i am hoping it will inspire her. She is approx. 100 lb. overweight I still am amazed that people who have health issues will not change their eating when it is so obvious that their food choices have gotten them into their situation. one of my friends moved away so at least I don't have to listen to her bad mouth the way I eat. Even the word "vegan" would upset her. Wonder if we were ever friends. She said she could not handle my being vegan. Tried to tell her that I wasn't, but she was very narrow minded. Actually wondered what she felt she had to handle as it was me who changed. Most everyone else is tolerant, but not very interested. After almost a year and a half, I am not feeling as hurt and isolated. Its just that I feel so darned good and healthy, I LIKE TO SHARE. this way of eating has given me such freedom. I am not crazy about cooking so i don't do it much. I boil potatoes and rice. Cook a huge pot of veggie soup every 10 days, eat some fruit and raw veggies. Have a bit of popcorn. Feel full and satisfied most of the time unless i get bored or get too hungry between meals. An easy fix. Eat more soup. Okay, I am not perfect.... there is a dark chocolate bar that sneaks in every week. Thanks to everyone who posts. You all are such an encouragement. Rebia
americaninca46

Postby viv » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:37 pm

Hi Rebia, I'm glad you are doing so well and feeling a lot better. So true when you say you want to shout from the rooftops about the benefits of the McDougall Diet. I don't keep quiet, why should I? I look good, feel good and at 68 have loads of energy and I wear cute fashionable clothes, because now that I'm slim, I'm showing off for the first time in years! By now just about everyone knows I'm "vegan" and I think that some people avoid me. However one teacher has lost 40 pounds with my encouragement and another has lost ten so you just never know who will be inspired to get healthy. We just have to keep spreading the word!

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby americaninca46 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:36 am

Hi Viv, So great to read your comments. Thanks for the input. I am feeling much better since the weather has warmed up. I have been sharing a lot with my physio therapist. She is a lovely girl with a young family. Very interested in eating healthy. Plan to give her a copy of The Starch Solution. Loaned her the video "Eating You Alive" She was happy to get it. I found a new place to eat out yesterday. It is called Freshii. All raw veggies, rice , beans and fresh fruits. They make bowls and burritos. They do have juices and smoothies with low fat yogurt. Wont have any of those. They offer some chicken. I have a bowl with rice, beans, corn, lettuce, avocado, tomato and 2 lovely dabs of yummy sauce. It was pure heaven. It was warm also. I am taking a friend there on Monday. I am appalled at the amount of meat and cheese that is in every dish served at the restaurants. I have not been able to eat out at all. I almost have my mobility back in my shoulder. Physio is quite costly so will try it on my own in a week or so. Have great weekend. Rebia
americaninca46

Postby viv » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:18 am

Hi Rebia. It's great that you are sharing your knowledge with the physiotherapist. All we can do is plant a seed and whether it grows or not is out of our hands. The rice bowl sounds wonderful. In fact you have inspired me to make something similar for my dinner today. I have all the ingredients at home except for the avocado, so I'm looking forward to a delicious dinner tonite. Have a great week! Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby americaninca46 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:31 pm

Took my physio therapist the Starch Solution to read today. Gave her the video..Eating you Alive. The whole family watched it. Her three kids were very interested. She has begun to cook with less meat. Great start. I think I will give her some of my cook books from plant based authors. Loaned out my "digestive tune-up book. The lady wants a copy for herself now. She had lots of digestive issues. I am encouraged today. my shoulder is very tender after my workout. Nothing serious. Breaking in old muscles and stretching out the joint. It really wants to stiffen up.
americaninca46

Return to Health Issues