Why am I Fatigued?

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Why am I Fatigued?

Postby lyssslynn » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:22 am

Hello all!

I've been feeling really fatigued off and on for several weeks/months, and am feeling quite discouraged by it. I've been vegan/plant-based for 3 and a half years, but recently I've not been feeling well. My brain gets foggy and I cannot concentrate for the rest of the day. I supplement vitamin D, B12, and iron. I work out relatively frequently and get the right amount of protein. I sleep 7-9 hours a night, and I still wake up feeling exhausted!

Does anyone have advice of what to do?

Thanks!
lyssslynn

Re: Why am I Fatigued?

Postby PJK » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:40 am

I would start with the most conservative action. So if you can, try taking a short midday nap, and see if it makes a difference. Set a timer for 20-30 mins. Longer than that, you can get into a deep sleep that's hard to wake up from.

I would try it for a week. If you have some sort of sleep deficit, 1 nap won't be enough to fix it.

I know you said you're already sleeping 7-9 hours. But the quality of sleep matters too. If you're waking up during the night, or getting up too early, or any of a number of other things, you might be cutting yourself short.

Worst case, napping won't help, and you'll have to look elsewhere for a solution. But it can't do any harm. And might help! Good luck.
PJK

Postby f1jim » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:05 pm

Might be time for a visit with your doctor. WFPB will do wonders but it isn't a substitute for medical expertise. Any time fatigue hangs on it's time to get it checked out.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby Jeff55 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:29 pm

Do you sit most of the day? Even if you work out for an hour a day, sitting the remainder of it can make you tired because it's not good for you. Check out Katy Bowman's books on the topic. Also, are you stressed out? Stress can zap a ton of energy. Do you drink any form of caffeine? Caffeine can zap your energy too http://www.inc.com/travis-bradberry/caf ... ccess.html
Jeff55

Postby Soraya » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:51 pm

See your doctor.
Are you getting any fresh air? Are under stress and holding your breath? Try to exhale and empty your lungs. Good inhalation will follow.
Soraya

Postby viv » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:39 pm

Get your TSH levels checked. Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and other low thyroid conditions are very under diagnosed. The lethargy that comes with low thyroid is debilitating and it just doesn't go away and will get worse over time. See an endocronologist for a full work up.
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Return to Health Issues