Oatmeal Question?

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Oatmeal Question?

Postby Poison Ivy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:41 am

Should I stop eating oatmeal or not? I was using it for my main starch but here is the problem. It drives my cholesterol way down. TC is below 120, but it has been driving my HBA1C way up. I am almost pre-diabetic. Is it normal after you eat oatmeal to drive your BG above 200. I have tested it with a BG meter. I wish doctor McDougall would comment on this. No one seems to have a clear-cut answer. I asked the question in Dr. Gregor's forum and but did not get a reply back. Why is the oatmeal driving my BG up so high and it is being sustained for a day or two before it comes back down to normal. I do not think this is good and might be causing some damage.

Maybe, Jeff Novick has an answer since he is a RD.?????
Poison Ivy

Re: Oatmeal Question?

Postby colonyofcells » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:24 am

My impression from the webinars of Dr Mcdougall is he is less concerned about after eating blood sugar levels which usually does go up but it is supposed to go down too once the body produces enough insulin. Can try exercising after each meal. I usually go by fasting blood sugar and hba1c. Other things to try could be to switch to barley (taught by nutritionist Brenda Davis) and see if that makes a difference. Dr Greger seems to teach to include beans in every meal to help lower blood sugar levels. Personally, I also avoid using heaters to burn more calories by generating body heat. I heard swimming is a great way to burn calories bec swimmers burn lots of calories to generate body heat.
colonyofcells

Postby Poison Ivy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:28 am

Are you doing damage if the BG rises above 200? What if the HBA1C keeps creeping up? That is my question!
Poison Ivy

Postby f00die » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:01 am

why are you testing any of this stuff?

have you been diagnosed as diabetic by a doctor?
these tests are only useful for managing diabetic medications/treatments

they are not for telling you whether to eat this or that
f00die

Postby Poison Ivy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:10 am

f00die wrote:why are you testing any of this stuff?

have you been diagnosed as diabetic by a doctor?
these tests are only useful for managing diabetic medications/treatments

they are not for telling you whether to eat this or that

I have a complete, comprehensive physical each year and my BG is going up and I wanna know why. Wouldn't you? I do not believe in blind faith. I want to know why. There is a reason for everything.
Poison Ivy

Postby pundit999 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:49 am

What is your A1C?

Do you take any medication such as a statin?

Thinking it is the oatmeal that is causing A1C to go up is weird because A1C is a measure of average sugar levels over the last 3 month period.

Exercise more, eat less fruit, eat no processed grains, no alcohol. Lose excess weight if you have any.
I agree with others that you need to stop getting this test often. Once a year is just fine unless you are on medications that require frequent testing.

My A1C goes up every year after winter but it goes down after Summer.
pundit999

Postby pundit999 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:52 am

Another thing.

How are you consuming otameal? Do you use rolled oats , quick oats?
Instead of rolled oats which are absorbed quickly, try steel cut oats or oat groats, especially since your main starch is oats.
pundit999

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:57 am

Poison Ivy, check your pm's
GeoffreyLevens

Postby Poison Ivy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:00 pm

pundit999 wrote:Another thing.

How are you consuming otameal? Do you use rolled oats , quick oats?
Instead of rolled oats which are absorbed quickly, try steel cut oats or oat groats, especially since your main starch is oats.

I eat oat groats, the least processed. No one can seem to answer this question. My doctor has noticed this over the years. I have always heard BG should never rise above 140 after eating. Does anyone else here have this problem? TC is great but the rise in BG has me concerned. I have noticed some light tingling in extremities.
Last edited by Poison Ivy on Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Poison Ivy

Postby Poison Ivy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:01 pm

GeoffreyLevens wrote:Poison Ivy, check your pm's

Thanks and I will!
Poison Ivy

Postby Poison Ivy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:03 pm

pundit999 wrote:What is your A1C?

Do you take any medication such as a statin?

Thinking it is the oatmeal that is causing A1C to go up is weird because A1C is a measure of average sugar levels over the last 3 month period.

Exercise more, eat less fruit, eat no processed grains, no alcohol. Lose excess weight if you have any.
I agree with others that you need to stop getting this test often. Once a year is just fine unless you are on medications that require frequent testing.

My A1C goes up every year after winter but it goes down after Summer.

No meds, I exercise daily, no excess weight to lose, I eat a little fruit but not a lot.
Poison Ivy

Postby Poison Ivy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:05 pm

The BG rises to 200, sometimes higher. I have tracked it to the oatmeal. There is no question about it. Should I keep eating this? Would you if you were me?
Poison Ivy

Postby colonyofcells » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:26 pm

There's plenty of other options for staple foods like sweet potato, potato, sunchoke, winter squash, buckwheat, quinoa, etc. Can also eat burdock, celeriac (celery root), jicama, parsnip, rutabaga, etc.
colonyofcells

Postby Poison Ivy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:34 pm

colonyofcells wrote:There's plenty of other options for staple foods like sweet potato, potato, sunchoke, winter squash, buckwheat, quinoa, etc. Can also eat burdock, celeriac (celery root), jicama, parsnip, rutabaga, etc.

Thank you! I could explore some other food options but I know I will not like them as much as the oatmeal. The oat groats were quick easy, simple and delicious.
Poison Ivy

Postby Lyndzie » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:39 pm

My thoughts are low B-12 causing the tingling.

Also, your body produces all the cholesterol it needs. My TC was 110. My husband’s (when he was plant-based) was 99.

Where is your HBA1C? You mentioned it going way up.

Maybe it would be a good idea to book a call with Jeff.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Next

Return to Health Issues