Hair loss on lower legs

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Hair loss on lower legs

Postby Guild43 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:34 am

Hello there,

I'm curious if any others have experienced this after swapping to this style of eating. Please note that my diet is a subset of the McDougall program called the "Anti-itis diet" which was outlined by Burgess (one of the all-stars). I am using this diet in an attempt to cure myself of a condition called Oral Lichen Planus. Thus far I have noticed a very slight improvement in my condition, but a marked improvement in other aspects of my health. I have been eating this way for approximately 3 months. Please also note that my aim is not to lose weight but to become healthier. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

My lower legs (below the knee) have been steadily losing hair since I began eating this way. I am certain that I'm getting enough calories since I've gained a bit of weight since I started (5lbs) and I eat between 3000-4000 calories per day.
Guild43

Re: Hair loss on lower legs

Postby Donna R » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:15 pm

are you a woman? it may depend on your age. as we "get older" there is often less body hair on arms and legs.

if you are only 43 this may not be the reason.
~ Donna
Donna R

Postby Guild43 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:41 pm

Sorry I guess I should have been more specific, I am a 31 year old male.
Guild43

Postby nordgirl » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:49 am

I wish that would happen to me :mrgreen:

I can report no such phonomena in my husband's case, his legs are furrier than ever :)
My type 2 diabetic husband and I have lost a total of 65 pounds thanks to Dr. McDougall. I'm cooking for a household of 7 McDougallers, and enjoying good health and a renewed sense of well being.
- Lisa P.
nordgirl

Postby Perla » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:51 am

I'm not sure what age he was but my husband lost all the hair below the knees on his legs years ago (he's 68 now). We always blamed it on wearing boots and blue jeans.

Perla
Perla

Postby Donna R » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:27 am

my husband lost hair where his upper socks fit against his legs. that's when he wore black nylon socks. now he just wears white cotton athletic socks and the hair has grown back.
~ Donna
Donna R

Postby Guild43 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:33 am

Thanks for the replies, I suppose this could be due to wearing jeans all winter long. Perhaps it will grow back during the summer. It just seems strange to me that I've never experienced this in the past and now all of a sudden I'm eating differently and it happens. I guess it might just be a coincidence!
Guild43

Postby Santos446 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:40 pm

I believe hair loss on legs can be a sign of type II diabetes. I've also read that Peripheral Artery Disease can also be a cause. I lost a significant hair on my lower legs right before my diabetes was discovered.

Have you had your blood sugar levels checked recently?
Santos446

Postby blyvan » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:59 am

I took have lost hair on my lower legs--I noticed it in December / 2012. My diet did not contain a lot of beans so, I added more of those. The hair has not grown back, though I've not lost any more of it.

I am skinny and although many people think I don't eat much, I eat more than anyone I know. Currently I eat 4 times a day.

My blood tests came out good and my glucose has been good. The only problem I had recently was a B12 issue regarding relying on fortified cereals.

Currently, I've been looking at malnutrition to be a possible cause, but I'm still searching for the reason.
blyvan

Postby blyvan » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:08 am

I forgot to mention. I also have a strange feeling in my lower legs--especially after eating. It feels as if my calves have some fluid in them. However, there is no swelling. I've been thinking that this could possibly be nerve damage from the B12 deficiency.
blyvan

Return to Health Issues