insomnia

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: insomnia

Postby Loveskale » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:19 pm

Why do you think going GF would cause inflammation?
My recipes are posted at: http://www.Flickr.com/Loveskale
Loveskale

Postby eri » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:47 am

I don't! Since celiac is autoimmune, if you have it, you should have some inflammation, right? That's why I asked. Sorry for the confusion...these are complicated subjects. :lol:
eri

Postby lmggallagher » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:59 pm

Hi eri:

I took a "Pain Management Course" that my health provider offered a year ago. It was 10-weeks and very intensive and included a module on pain and nutrition. We got in our binders a handout on foods that may be inflammatory and gluten containing foods were discussed. Turns out a pretty high percentage of people of Irish decent, which I am, are gluten intolerant not necessarily full blown Celiac, but with some of the same symptoms. So I figured I'd give it an elimination try.

In my experience, it was pretty clear I am gluten intolerant, and also at the same time unbeknownst to me a close blood relative was tested and found to be for sure. I can tell you it did help me to eliminate gluten foods for a few of the reasons that were listed before. Essentially, what I thought were IBS symptoms that are often part of the fibro syndrome, actually turned out to be gluten related for me.

I just did the elimination procedure, but my Aunt says she was actually tested. I think it's a blood test, I don't know for sure.

Also I tried the sleep deprivation process, it may have worked. Thanks for summarizing it for me, I was sooo tired I couldn't make sense out of it to try it :lol:

lmggallagher

Postby kittyadventures » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:07 am

eri wrote:I don't! Since celiac is autoimmune, if you have it, you should have some inflammation, right? That's why I asked. Sorry for the confusion...these are complicated subjects. :lol:

I did some looking at the Fibro Mialgia and in the past it was considered to be part of the auto immune spectrum so there is a lot of controversy about that. As you said it is complicated because it involves the conective tissue. To me though this really sounds like it is related. anyway what ever you decide to do I do hope you find a way to have some relief.

And regarding the inflamation indicators... I don't know, I don't know what they use as their determination as to what is an indication of it... but since you have considerable pain... you may want to just try eliminating the gluten.. Like I said it is actually easy to do and you would know right away.

This is what I do know once I eliminated the gluten there were things that I didn't realize were tied to it.
IT is one of those things.

For me being pain free, itch free and considerably healthier was worth the giving up of the gluten. I did not do the medical test... I just quite eating the gluten. ANd as I discovered what went away when I quit eating it I realized I had been having issues my whole life.
Who knew an Apple a day, really would keep the Doctor away!
"Be the change you want to see in the world"--Gandhi.

http://www.kittyadventures.wordpress.com

Days in a row of exercise: 9
kittyadventures

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:24 pm

kittyadventures wrote:
eri wrote:I don't! Since celiac is autoimmune, if you have it, you should have some inflammation, right? That's why I asked. Sorry for the confusion...these are complicated subjects. :lol:

I did some looking at the Fibro Mialgia and in the past it was considered to be part of the auto immune spectrum so there is a lot of controversy about that. As you said it is complicated because it involves the conective tissue. To me though this really sounds like it is related. anyway what ever you decide to do I do hope you find a way to have some relief.

And regarding the inflamation indicators... I don't know, I don't know what they use as their determination as to what is an indication of it... but since you have considerable pain... you may want to just try eliminating the gluten.. Like I said it is actually easy to do and you would know right away.

This is what I do know once I eliminated the gluten there were things that I didn't realize were tied to it.
IT is one of those things.

For me being pain free, itch free and considerably healthier was worth the giving up of the gluten. I did not do the medical test... I just quite eating the gluten. ANd as I discovered what went away when I quit eating it I realized I had been having issues my whole life.

Being sensitive to gluten doesn't make Fibromyalgia an autoimmune disease. Fibromyalgia involves the nerves, the central nervous system, brain chemicals and such, not connective tissue. There's no change in tissue, no inflammation, no rash, no physical changes in the body to detect. There are tender points, but the tissue is normal.

http://www.umm.edu/patiented/articles/w ... 0076_2.htm
http://chronicfatigue.about.com/b/2010/ ... mptoms.htm
http://chronicfatigue.about.com/od/copi ... ondiet.htm

If gluten intolerance caused fibromyalgia, then a gluten-free diet would be the prescribed cure. It doesn't, and it's not. That doesn't mean someone who has fibro might not also have a gluten sensitivity that's creating other problems that could exacerbate fibromyalgia flares. But I think there would be inflammation markers of some sort that would show up on a test if gluten is the problem. Individuals can have different food sensitivities, but one size does not fit all.

What diet does Dr. McDougall recommend for Fibromyalgia? A plant-based, low-fat diet. I agree. I saw that he listed fibro under common autoimmune diseases in one of the star stories, maybe for simplicity's sake. http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/star03.html

I think a combination of factors come together and create fibromyalgia. Frankly, it would probably be easier to be diagnosed with diabetes. Less confusion all around. :D

http://www.webmd.com/fibromyalgia/guide ... connection
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby francessam » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:53 pm

I had a bad case of insomnia before where in I could just stay awake for a day. My doctor recommended I take sleeping pills, it worked but I decided to stop it because I don't want to be dependent on it. My friend invited me to yoga and it was the best thing I ever experienced. I slept better without pills, I felt better and I felt healthier than ever.
francessam

Previous

Return to Health Issues