insomnia

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: insomnia

Postby eri » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:02 pm

^^ Actually it was my mom, coming in to say she was leaving for a weekend trip. I thought I was in a nice deep sleep when she came in, but as soon as she left (not even 30 seconds) I realized I felt like crap.
eri

Postby kittyadventures » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:22 pm

Eri,

You say you have fibro... have you eliminated gluten and wheat... and then possibly the night shade family.

I have celiac and have suffered most of my life from insomnia, from the celiacs.

when I eat well (no gluten) I do pretty well.

I have also read some stuff this week about iodine levels affecting sleep time. I haven't found any medical studies yet just anicdotal stuff.

It is something you might want to check into too.
Who knew an Apple a day, really would keep the Doctor away!
"Be the change you want to see in the world"--Gandhi.

http://www.kittyadventures.wordpress.com

Days in a row of exercise: 9
kittyadventures

Postby eri » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:49 pm

Hey Kitty. I have thought briefly about celiac but never been tested. As far as the nightshades, I thought those only affected those with inflammation. None of my bloodwork indicates any inflammation, so I guess I assumed eliminating them wouldn't help me. What is the best way to figure out if you have celiac?
Last edited by eri on Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eri

Postby lmggallagher » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:18 pm

Hi eri:

So somehow after all this talk on insomnia here, I got only one and 1 1/2 hours of sleep last night. I think that means if I were to apply the restriction protocol I would not allow myself to fall asleep until the same time and wake up at the same time again. Gee, I think this is called sleep deprivation, which is sadly used as a method of torture by really mean people! I know I can't go two days feeling like this - so maybe I'll try it some time when I only get like 4 hours of sleep, sigh, yawn.....

Weird thing though, I have never lost weight when I experienced insomnia. I still lost a pound, it wasn't all bad I guess :)

Hope you're doing better !

lmggallagher

Postby eri » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:46 pm

^^ From what I understand, you go to sleep when sleepy & then get up much earlier than usual. I usually go to bed around 9-10, but for the past few days I've stayed up til 10-11 to make sure I'm truly sleepy. Then I have awakened naturally between 430-6. Even though I have been very reluctant to get out of bed, I have felt awake & refreshed. So if you slept from 11-5 & were good, you'd keep doing it. If you didn't feel refreshed, you are supposed to add 15 minutes each night until you did. Let me know if you try it.
eri

Postby kittyadventures » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:44 pm

eri wrote:Hey Kitty. I have thought briefly about celiac but never been tested. As far as the nightshades, I thought those only affected those with inflammation. None of my bloodwork indicates any inflammation, so I guess I assumed eliminating them wouldn't help me. What is the best way to figure out if you have celiac?

Eri pretty much all the autoimmune deseases are inter related and have some componenet of gluten intollerance

Once you understand that all of them are your body over responding to gluten or other foods .. then it makes more sense

some symptoms of Gluten intollerance or celiacs
headaches
migranes
lower intestinal cramps
hair lose or small sores on your scalp
athletes foot that does not go away no matter how much you treat it
ulcers
hemarhoids
excema
joint pain
diareah or constipation constantly
Heart burn
Indegestion
acid reflux
asthma and or hayfever.
foggy thinking
rashes in your privates
Depression
Foggy thinking

I know the list is long
and generally people have at least one of the symptoms
and depending on how sensitive you are

Arthritus
Multiple sclerosis
Mineares desease
Fibro mialgia
and also the thyroid deseases have al bbeen tied to celiacs in recent years
You should really consider doing the elimnation diet to see what irritates your condition. eliminating the most common irritants can reduce your pain significantly.

IF you are not sure you can try eliinating all wheat products for one week'' (all types of bread, noodles, most cereals, and all salad dressings and mixed spices and packeged foods)

You will be able to tell right away. usually within 3 days. Some things take longer to clear up like excemas and skin conditions.

SOrry this post is so long.

kittyadventures

Postby eri » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:11 am

thanks for the info. i guess my thing is, fibro isn't really considered an autoimmune disease, but more of a central nervous system problem. so if you have fibro only, you don't have any inflammation. none of my other conditions are associated with inflammation (...oh wait, asthma!), but still, i suppose there is a chance going gf might help. i've already had an endoscopy, cat scan w/ contrast (or maybe not. what's it called when you have to drink that vile, chalky liquid & pray not to throw up?) & a gastric emptying study. but i guess if they weren't looking for celiac they wouldn't find it. the elimination diet seems very intimidating...& boring. heehee. :lol:
eri

Postby kittyadventures » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:15 am

All that pain and exhaustion... IF it was me I would try the gluten free. Just try going gluten free for a week. That sounds like an inflamation desease to me.

See if it helps to reduce your symptomes. If not what have you lost? a week of eating Wheat.

I am guessing it will make a huge difference.

Since eating a gluten free diet I have actually gotten a more varied and interesting diet.

Boring to me is eating just wheat in its various Looks. That is boring.

I eat buckwheat,
Oats
Quinoa
millet
COrnmeal
all different kinds of potatoes
all different kinds of rice
Including some beautiful mixes of it.
Various leguemes
There are rice noodles if I want a caserole.
And of course an ever increasing cornecopia of vegetables and fruits from all over.

THe only thing I really miss from eating before going gluten free is the breads

but they recently came out with a new additive that give the gluten free breads more elasticity so if I desire a peanutbutter and jelly well I can have it.

For me my diet has gotten emensly better.

And the relief from all that pain. Yeah I can live with out the gluten.

Here is an interesting site I found.
This is from a RN.

http://glutenfreern.com/fibromyalgia/

Give it a try .. What dco you have to lose but some pain. :nod:

kittyadventures

Postby Loveskale » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:33 am

Not all oats are gluten-free. If you try gluten-free for a week please make sure you get the right oats, otherwise you will be doing gluten-free for nothing.

This was a bad thing for me to read today; I also didn't sleep well last night. I can tell you 4 hours of sleep is not good for me because that's approximately how much sleep I got. I am being a trooper not reaching for the coffee.

I might try 7 hours of sleep, that seems reasonable for me and has worked for me in the past.
My recipes are posted at: http://www.Flickr.com/Loveskale
Loveskale

Postby eri » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:51 am

I don't think a GF diet is boring, just the elimination part. I may try the GF thing but I wanna get the sleep restriction down first. I do agree that I have little to lose. I'm just pointing out for people who know little about fibro that since it is not inflammatory, avoiding things like nightshade veggies don't generally help. Of course if you have celiac then avoiding gluten is another story altogether.

Just a question for you GF peeps. Do you have/had elavated SED or CRP levels or any other markers of inflammation?
eri

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:59 am

lmggallagher wrote:Hi eri:

So somehow after all this talk on insomnia here, I got only one and 1 1/2 hours of sleep last night. I think that means if I were to apply the restriction protocol I would not allow myself to fall asleep until the same time and wake up at the same time again. Gee, I think this is called sleep deprivation, which is sadly used as a method of torture by really mean people! I know I can't go two days feeling like this - so maybe I'll try it some time when I only get like 4 hours of sleep, sigh, yawn.....

Weird thing though, I have never lost weight when I experienced insomnia. I still lost a pound, it wasn't all bad I guess :)

Hope you're doing better !

There's the kind of insomnia where you can't go to sleep, and then there's the kind where you go to sleep but wake up (too early). I've had the first kind, but it sounds like Eri has the second. Sleep restriction theory says she may not need as much sleep as she thinks she does, and going back to bed just because it doesn't seem like the "right time" to get up may be causing more harm than good. Sort of like overfeeding.
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby eri » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:55 pm

AlwaysAgnes wrote:There's the kind of insomnia where you can't go to sleep, and then there's the kind where you go to sleep but wake up (too early). I've had the first kind, but it sounds like Eri has the second. Sleep restriction theory says she may not need as much sleep as she thinks she does, and going back to bed just because it doesn't seem like the "right time" to get up may be causing more harm than good. Sort of like overfeeding.

:nod: Yep. I always thought I had the first kind, but I know I have the second b/c when I had the sleep study, I was asleep in six minutes. :shock: I only thought I had the first b/c I spent so much time in the first two (lightest) stages of sleep that I really thought I was awake when I was actually asleep. So far so good. I went to bed at 10:30 & woke at 5:30. So I'm thinking my magic number is 6-7 hours.
eri

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:58 pm

eri wrote:thanks for the info. i guess my thing is, fibro isn't really considered an autoimmune disease, but more of a central nervous system problem. so if you have fibro only, you don't have any inflammation. none of my other conditions are associated with inflammation (...oh wait, asthma!), but still, i suppose there is a chance going gf might help. i've already had an endoscopy, cat scan w/ contrast (or maybe not. what's it called when you have to drink that vile, chalky liquid & pray not to throw up?) & a gastric emptying study. but i guess if they weren't looking for celiac they wouldn't find it. the elimination diet seems very intimidating...& boring. heehee. :lol:

Yes. Fibromyalgia is not an autoimmune disease, but some symptoms can be the same. People with Fibro could also have an autoimmune disease--like IBD, Celiac disease, psorisis, thyroid problems, lupus or whatever--in addition to Fibromyalgia. That doesn't necessarily mean the autoimmune disease caused the Fibromyalgia. Life is complicated sometimes, isn't it. Why were they checking your guts? Fibromyalgia is complicated. I don't think curing it and getting rid of all its symptoms and co-conditions is as simple as eliminating gluten from the diet, at least not for most people. Gluten-free sounds like a job to me. Not sure how I'd go about it. Maybe I'd resort to living off potatoes and beans and cabbage so I wouldn't have to think about avoiding gluten. Much easier. :mrgreen:

http://www.womenshealth.gov/publication ... seases.cfm

http://www.womenshealth.gov/publication ... yalgia.cfm

http://www.umm.edu/patiented/articles/w ... 0076_2.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fibromyalgia

http://labtestsonline.org/understanding ... e/tab/test
AlwaysAgnes

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:07 pm

eri wrote:
AlwaysAgnes wrote:There's the kind of insomnia where you can't go to sleep, and then there's the kind where you go to sleep but wake up (too early). I've had the first kind, but it sounds like Eri has the second. Sleep restriction theory says she may not need as much sleep as she thinks she does, and going back to bed just because it doesn't seem like the "right time" to get up may be causing more harm than good. Sort of like overfeeding.

:nod: Yep. I always thought I had the first kind, but I know I have the second b/c when I had the sleep study, I was asleep in six minutes. :shock: I only thought I had the first b/c I spent so much time in the first two (lightest) stages of sleep that I really thought I was awake when I was actually asleep. So far so good. I went to bed at 10:30 & woke at 5:30. So I'm thinking my magic number is 6-7 hours.

That sounds great, Eri. I usually do good with 7 hours. Last night I had a bit of trouble going to sleep because of noisy neighbors, so I put in earplugs. Then I couldn't sleep because my own heart/pulse and breathing were too loud in my ears. :shock: :lol: I finally took out the ear plugs before that underwater sound made me insane, and by then the neighbors had shut their loud faces, so I was able to go to sleep. :nod:
AlwaysAgnes

Postby eri » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:56 pm

AlwaysAgnes wrote:I finally took out the ear plugs before that underwater sound made me insane, and by then the neighbors had shut their loud faces, so I was able to go to sleep. :nod:

OMG I thought it was just me! I hate that underwater sound!
eri

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues