Navigating a plant based diet while gluten intolerant

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Navigating a plant based diet while gluten intolerant

Postby Kendreamyers » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:30 pm

Hi, I’m new here and to trying a plant based diet. I have a 10 year old son that is gluten intolerant. My question is how do I work around this? It seems to really limit our food options. Thank you.
Kendreamyers

Re: Navigating a plant based diet while gluten intolerant

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:20 pm

Not at all. My ex did not eat gluten and it is totally doable. There are plenty of pasta options these days, I’m guessing you have one that works for you. Focus on the starch (potato, rice, beans) and go from there. Taco night with beans and rice in a corn tortilla. Your favorite pasta in sauce. Mashed potatoes with green beans and corn. All of Jeff Novick’s SNAP meals. All of Straight Up Food’s recipes, and the Vegan8’s recipes.

Heather McDougall recently was interviewed and gave her perspective on kids and food. She has a very sensible outlook on parenting and is a breath of fresh air.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Re: Navigating a plant based diet while gluten intolerant

Postby PJK » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:09 pm

Totally doable. As you probably know, gluten is found only in grains such as wheat. Even if you eliminate most grains, there are still plenty of other starches.

For ex: potatoes, sweet potatoes, winter squashes, beans, rice, oats.

Plus, all the gluten-free versions of bread, pasta and other products normally made from wheat.

Also, of course, all fruit and veg . None of them have gluten.

Hope you can see that's a lot to choose from.
PJK

Return to Health Issues