Cist

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Cist

Postby jdubray » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:26 am

I follow a whole food plant based diet, putting more emphasis on starch. My son has had repeated cists that required surgery in the past couple of years. He is overweight and now will have to let the wound heal until December. I have tried to find a diet-based solution for him but all I could find was related to iodine. Did I miss something? I have tried to push him towards more plant based dishes but without a strong incentive that could help him get out of this condition, I don't think he will do it.
jdubray

Re: Cist

Postby PJK » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:54 pm

In general, if a health condition was not caused by diet, then it will not be cured by diet, either.

For example, if I break my leg, I don't fix it by eating lots of healthy spinach. The bone needs to be reset and protected in a plaster cast.

Of course, eating healthily is always better than not. And in theory, some ailments may heal quicker if you're healthy. But as the example of a broken bone shows, that doesn't mean diet is always the best treatment.
PJK

Postby Jeremiah » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:48 pm

PJK wrote:In general, if a health condition was not caused by diet, then it will not be cured by diet, either.

For example, if I break my leg, I don't fix it by eating lots of healthy spinach. The bone needs to be reset and protected in a plaster cast.

Of course, eating healthily is always better than not. And in theory, some ailments may heal quicker if you're healthy. But as the example of a broken bone shows, that doesn't mean diet is always the best treatment.

True, but overweight people are much more susceptible to things like cysts. Having a bloodstream full of fat has a big impact. If he's prone to developing cysts it's very likely that adopting the Mcdougall plan would resolve the issue and allow him to heal.
Jeremiah

Postby pundit999 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:40 am

Yes. Not all problem are diet related. But lots of them are even if the mainstream medicine claims to know otherwise.

I am not being blustery but all research is done on people following the standard American diet or a slight modification of it.

A whole plants only diet is beneficial in lots of mysterious ways. We regularly see people here reporting their various ailments going away after being on this die for some time, even though they adopted the diet for a totally different reason.

A quick search tells me that cysts may be related to inflammation.
If that is the case, a whole plants only diet will help tremendously.

Very difficult to convince a young person to make the drastic change based on this claim though :-)
pundit999

Return to Health Issues