High LDL

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

High LDL

Postby RussT » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:08 pm

I've been on a strict McDougal Diet for over four years. I'm 55, I exercise regularly, I'm trim, I don't drink or smoke and have no health issues whatsoever. I was very disappointed in my recent lab work and looking for some advice from the many knowledgeable people on this board. I'm considering taking a low dose statin as I've done EVERYTHING imaginable to get my numbers down to the recommendation by Dr. McDougall (total below 150 and LDL below 70). Last year, I cut out all nuts, seeds, avocado and other fatty foods hoping it would get my numbers down. Ironically, it appears this had the opposite effect. My father died of a massive heart attack at age 45.

Total Cholesterol: 181 (last year it was 166)
LDL: 110 (last year it was 99)

All other areas are in range.

Any tips or advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Russ
RussT

Re: High LDL

Postby pundit999 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:03 am

A whole plants only diet is beneficial for heart health in many ways. Cholesterol improvement is just one effect.
Aspirin like effect, reduction of TMAO, reduction in inflammation, thinning of the blood etc are well known now. Taking into account that TMAO was discovered in just the last few years tells us that there are likely benefits humans don’t know yet.
Having said that given you abysmal family history, it may not be bad idea to get a small dose of statin. Say 5 mg of Lipitor . It will make you rest easy too
But cholesterol is just one aspect
Good luck
pundit999

Return to Health Issues