Can we talk about the McDougall way and oxalates??

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Can we talk about the McDougall way and oxalates??

Postby bounce08 » Tue May 26, 2020 10:31 am

I've done a lot of my own reading of articles, studies etc linked to plant based diet and I'm concerned about oxalate intake on the McDougall diet.

Researchers like Sally Norton (Masters in Public Health, Bachelors degree in nutrition from Cornell) claim that foods high in oxalates (such as potatoes - a staple of the McDougall diet), are linked to inflammation and conditions including hardening arteries, kidney stones, poor gut function, auto-immune issues and possibly heart disease. Foods high in oxalates include green leafy veg (e.g. spinach), potatoes, nuts, seeds, dark chocolate, certain berries, soy, whole grains.

Here are a couple of articles in which it's discussed further:

https://www.urologyofva.net/articles/category/healthy-living/3740469/the-damaging-effects-of-oxalates-on-the-human-body
https://sallyknorton.com/arterial-plaque-contains-oxalate/

Apparently oxalates are mainly a problem if you have a poor gut lining/weak microbiome which apparently many of us will have to some degree. This is usually caused by artificial ingredients, added sugar and eating non-organic vegetables which have traces of something called glyphosate which is damaging to the microbiome. Also things like artificial sweeteners can cause issues.

I'm aware there are other nutrition experts such as Dr Rhonda Patrick who have similar concerns.

Is this a real concern? Is there any evidence that goes against what this person says? Are oxalates a non-issue?
bounce08

Re: Can we talk about the McDougall way and oxalates??

Postby Ltldogg » Tue May 26, 2020 1:25 pm

Ltldogg

Postby michaelswarm » Tue May 26, 2020 7:41 pm

I would put this in the category of anti-nutrients, along with lectins, etc. No, I am not worried about them. Prevention and reversal of heart disease, cancer, diabetes, etc., only with whole food plant based diet. Healthy long life in Blue Zones, with real food mostly plants. Human and other primates that have eaten fruits and vegetation have evolved good detoxification.

bounce08 wrote:Researchers like Sally Norton (Masters in Public Health, Bachelors degree in nutrition from Cornell) claim that foods high in oxalates (such as potatoes - a staple of the McDougall diet), are linked to inflammation and conditions including hardening arteries, kidney stones, poor gut function, auto-immune issues and possibly heart disease. Foods high in oxalates include green leafy veg (e.g. spinach), potatoes, nuts, seeds, dark chocolate, certain berries, soy, whole grains.

Any clinical evidence of heart disease reversal on low oxalate diet? But heart disease reversal show on whole food plant based diets.

bounce08 wrote: Apparently oxalates are mainly a problem if you have a poor gut lining/weak microbiome which apparently many of us will have to some degree. This is usually caused by artificial ingredients, added sugar and eating non-organic vegetables which have traces of something called glyphosate which is damaging to the microbiome. Also things like artificial sweeteners can cause issues.

Gut dysbiosis or leaky gut is primarily caused because we are fiber starved. Animal products have zero fiber. Ultra processed foods have minimal fiber.

Seems to me the real problem is animal foods and junk foods. People are not really eating that much spinach, kale and potatoes.

bounce08 wrote: Is this a real concern? Is there any evidence that goes against what this person says? Are oxalates a non-issue?

Inca people thrived on potatoes, along with Irish, Polish, Russians, etc. Minimal evidence of heart disease except in royalty until last 100 years when animal food and junk food increased, and whole plant foods almost disappeared.

Brother who eats animals and junk recently had kidney stones. Me 10 years McDougall no stones.

If you are really concerned, there are plenty of plant foods lower in oxalates. There is so much to eat that you don’t have to eat potatoes, spinach or kale.
michaelswarm

Postby Nico Starchivore » Wed May 27, 2020 9:14 pm

Sally Norton and Rhonda Patrick are experts in bullshit, they recommend a low carb high fat/protein diet with plenty of oil and animal products. Listening to these so called experts talking nonsense is a waste of time, the diet they recommend is the worst diet on earth, a disaster for health.
Nico Starchivore

Return to Health Issues