Tendinopathy

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Tendinopathy

Postby Werner1950 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:50 am

Groan.. it seems the older I get, the more these issues are showing up. I have an Achilles tendon that is giving me no end of grief. The chiropractor calls it tendinopathy.. which is (I think) inflammation of the tendon going down to the heel.
It seems to be worse during weather changes. It is really cramping my style.. I have orthotics but they do not help much.

So other than avoiding oil, what else can I do? I have a neighbor who is a masseuse and he is eager to help (for $$ of course) but that will only be a temporary measure.. on rare days I hardly feel it, but most days, it limits my activities.
"An ounce of evidence is worth a pound of presumption"
Werner1950

Re: Tendinopathy

Postby Lyndzie » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:33 am

A quick google search looks like it’s a form of tendinitis, like tennis elbow. If that’s the case, it looks easily treatable.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby viv » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:30 am

Hi Werner,

https://www.britishhomeopathic.org/char ... -injuries/

Homeopathy is great for this. I know homeopathy is not big in America where Big Pharma is trying to shut it down, but it is popular everywhere else in the world. I have used it all my life and you know so does the Queen of England! Arnica ointment and tabs are wonderful for sports injuries and can be bought over the counter. Some brands I like are:
https://www.boironusa.com/
https://www.hylands.com/

Good luck!
Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby PJK » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:05 pm

The standard short-term treatment for muscular inflammation is to take an NSAID. Aspirin, ibuprofen, etc. The "AI" in the name stands for "anti-inflammatory."

Heat might help, too. Have you tried Icy-Hot Patches? They don't cure, but do offer relief for up to 8 hours.

Also, an inflammation of the tendon is most likely *not* caused by your diet. Therefore, changing your diet most likely won't help it, either.

Instead, I would look to issues around posture. Muscular pain in one part of the body can be caused by a misalignment in another part. For ex., uneven hips can cause problems in the feet.

Here are 2 books I've found helpful: "Pain Free" by Pete Egoscue. And "Forever Painless" by Miranda Esmonde-White.

Good luck.
PJK

Postby Werner1950 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:18 pm

PJK wrote:The standard short-term treatment for muscular inflammation is to take an NSAID. Aspirin, ibuprofen, etc. The "AI" in the name stands for "anti-inflammatory."

Heat might help, too. Have you tried Icy-Hot Patches? They don't cure, but do offer relief for up to 8 hours.

Also, an inflammation of the tendon is most likely *not* caused by your diet. Therefore, changing your diet most likely won't help it, either.

Instead, I would look to issues around posture. Muscular pain in one part of the body can be caused by a misalignment in another part. For ex., uneven hips can cause problems in the feet.

Here are 2 books I've found helpful: "Pain Free" by Pete Egoscue. And "Forever Painless" by Miranda Esmonde-White.

Good luck.

Thanks. I was not looking for temporary solutions. But what you say makes sense. Years ago, I had a muscle injury in my calf on that leg. Something snapped back there while I was running up a hill, and I went down in a bundle of pain. I looked and my calf muscle was bunched up in a ball. I was on crutches for days. Doctor said there was nothing he could do.. unless I had been an athlete.. then he might have considered surgery to repair whatever was torn back there. It happened back in the mid-nineties, so I cannot remember the exact details.
Werner1950

Postby Birdy » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:46 pm

Hi Werner,
I had problems for years with Achilles tendonitis from an old improperly treated running injury. After not being able to walk without pain for a couple of years, I finally went to a physical therapist. She gave me two exercises to do and made suggestions about shoes and about easing back into regular walking. Within a matter of weeks the problem resolved and I haven't had any more
inflammation.
"The program is essentially cost and risk free." ~ Dr. John McDougall
Birdy

Postby Werner1950 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:01 am

Birdy wrote:Hi Werner,
I had problems for years with Achilles tendonitis from an old improperly treated running injury. After not being able to walk without pain for a couple of years, I finally went to a physical therapist. She gave me two exercises to do and made suggestions about shoes and about easing back into regular walking. Within a matter of weeks the problem resolved and I haven't had any more
inflammation.

Thanks. Sounds good.. Can you describe the exercises?
Werner1950

Return to Health Issues