Yearly blood,tests.

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Yearly blood,tests.

Postby Pollymunc » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:54 pm

I am new to this forum, WFPB for over 6 years but have been eating exclusively as Dr McDougall recommends for over 4 years now. I am 70years old, an MS sufferer, but have managed to reverse my MS symptoms by eating this way. My question is about yearly blood tests. Up until now I have checked my bloods annually, just for my own interest really, however I have recently been thinking that they are a waste of time and money,and I have no physical symptoms of anything being wrong with my body. I also have no desire to know my numbers anymore. I am confident I am doing the best I can with the food. What is Dr McDougalls opinion?)
Pollymunc

Re: Yearly blood,tests.

Postby Quinda » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:48 pm

for what it is worth, although everything else is ok my platelets are high with the latest routine lab work. Subsequent re-test showed them to be even higher. Now I have to see a hematologist. I am 71. You just never know what to do anymore. I am on no medication. So that is good.
Quinda

Re: Yearly blood,tests.

Postby Drew_ab » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:35 pm

Pollymunc wrote:I am new to this forum, WFPB for over 6 years but have been eating exclusively as Dr McDougall recommends for over 4 years now. I am 70years old, an MS sufferer, but have managed to reverse my MS symptoms by eating this way. My question is about yearly blood tests. Up until now I have checked my bloods annually, just for my own interest really, however I have recently been thinking that they are a waste of time and money,and I have no physical symptoms of anything being wrong with my body. I also have no desire to know my numbers anymore. I am confident I am doing the best I can with the food. What is Dr McDougalls opinion?)

I would personally still continue to get them done. If nothing else they give you a baseline should something change in the future - however, I also do not have to pay to get it done (if I had to pay it might be another story). Personally, I also get deep satisfaction of seeing very low cholesterol levels, excellent fasting glucose, etc. As far as I know, Dr. McDougall hasn't weighed in on your specific issue. I do believe that if there was an issue he would not hesitate in ordering bloodwork. Don't forget, he is a board certified physician after all.
Drew_ab

Return to Health Issues