amniotic fluid levels

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

amniotic fluid levels

Postby elizahei » Thu May 23, 2019 11:51 am

Hi,
I followed Dr. Mcdougall's advice last pregnancy and had a healthy pregnancy :) This pregnancy I am at 30 weeks currently. I am 34 years old, about to be 35 one month before giving birth so the doctors consider me Advanced Maternal Age. Because of this , my midwife wanted me to get an ultrasound to get my amniotic fluid levels checked at my 30 week appt. My amniotic fluid levels were 25.8, where above 25 is considered high. She told to cut the carbs because tha cold be causing it, told me not to eat any bread, rice, potatoes, or pasta. And to limit my fruit to two pieces a day. And to not drink sugary drinks. She always seems to forget I'm a vegan when she gives me advice like this. She gave me similar advice before when I said my weight was gaining more than I wanted. I had reminded her then that I eat vegan and that's pretty much all I eat and she said "well you don't have to eat bread." So I'm assuming she's talking about picking a lower glycemic index when I choose food and that may help my fluid levels. I refuse to give up carbs completely. I think that would be bad for the baby. I've decided to fill half my plate with salad, a quarter with beans and eat lentil pasta with a bit of regular pasta and potato on the other quarter of my plate. This way I am eating less carbs. I'm also giving p smoothies and frappucinos :( Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has heard of having higher amniotic fluid levels from eating too many carbs. I passed the gestational diabetes test. The baby is measuring 1/2 a week ahead on the ultrasound. I have yet to have protein or glucose in my urine. I Have read that some people have higher levels and it doesn't harm the baby and they don't know why they have higher levels. Last pregnancy my water broke at 37 1/2 weeks so I wonder if that didn't happen because I naurally have higher levels but they never knew it because I never had an ultrasound past 20 weeks since I was 31 years old then.hmmm. Sorry this is long, but any thoughts on this, I'd appreciate!
elizahei

Re: amniotic fluid levels

Postby viv » Thu May 23, 2019 7:25 pm

First of all I am not a doctor. I have two sons, born when I was 39 and 41. Having another ultrasound is a good idea just to check that the baby and you are ok. As far as giving up the carbs, I would ignore that advice. Where are the peer reviewed articles that suggest that carbs are a factor in excess amniotic fluid? The second question is why do you have a midwife who argues with you over your diet?

Do what you did the first time and follow Dr. McDougall's advice.

Good luck!
Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Re: amniotic fluid levels

Postby Lyndzie » Wed May 29, 2019 9:36 am

Hi Eliza.

I had my third child last year at the “advanced” age of 35, so I can totally relate to that unfortunate title. Are you doing a home birth or hospital with the midwife?

Before changing your diet, ask you midwife for more information. If you come from a place of curiosity, she will not feel like it’s a debate. Hopefully she can provide sound reasoning for her recommendation. Remember, she is the one who has to prove this is a healthier eating plan than whatever you are currently doing.

Also, ultrasounds are not a perfect science. There is a margin of error. Are you measuring ok otherwise?

And, remember, doctors and midwives do not receive dietary education. I’ve heard of pregnant women being advised to eat 120g protein per day (it was in my pregnancy class literature!). The recommendation is .88g/kg of body weight when pregnant. As a point of reference, that turns out to be 60g protein per day if you are 150 lbs and pregnant.

(Side note: my fist was born at 37w2d because my water broke early, and my last two pregnancies both went well pst 40 weeks. Each pregnancy is different.)

Short answer: the bread is not the problem.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Return to Health Issues