HIGH TRIGLYCERIDE

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

HIGH TRIGLYCERIDE

Postby TrailBunny » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:11 pm

I am very concerned, even scarred looking at my lipid profile.
I became plant based 12 years ago. In the last year and a half, I started eating eggs and cheese. After getting back my Lipid Profile 10/1/18, I have returned to Vegan.
I am 55 year old woman, a little over 5'1, 135 lb (at time of lab work, have since dropped a couple lb these last couple weeks).
In 2017 my Triglyceride was 331 , but now as of 10/1/2018 my Triglyceride is 580 ! says "Unable to calculate LDL due to elevated trig".
I don't understand, I thought cholesterol just came from animal product?
If I respond to my family doctor, he will want to put me on medication. I don't want to take anything, but I am also scared now of heart attack or stroke.
I went on various websites for lowering Triglyceride, and I am already active (run,bike,hike) and I don't eat junk food or drink soda often...I need some information. What am I doing wrong, is there something I can do to bring my numbers to a healthy level?
Thank You for reading me,
Trail Bunny, CA
TrailBunny

Re: HIGH TRIGLYCERIDE

Postby Idgie » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:21 pm

I would cut out all fat and refined foods RIGHT NOW, and then go to the Getting Started area of the boards and read every word, committing yourself to starting back at the basics. I'm not a doctor, but going vegan isn't enough. I wish you all the best; please let us know how it goes!
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby TrailBunny » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:48 pm

Thank you Idgie, I did think being vegan would be enough, but today, after reading I see that blood sugars affect Triglyceride, not just animal fat. That is new information for me. I printed out the 10 day plan and am starting it asap. After I get started, I wonder how soon I could see a change in lipid test?
TrailBunny

Postby Idgie » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:00 pm

Yes, blood sugar affects triglycerides, but fat impairs our natural system for controlling blood sugar. If you have a lot of weight to lose, it can take a while for the triglycerides to go all the way down, because you're still burning body fat, kind of like you're eating it, but you're also disease-proofing your heart by eating a low-fat diet of whole plant foods, so you are buying yourself some time, in my opinion. Best to you. I really hope that things start looking better quickly! I have gotten my numbers down almost to ideal (though my numbers weren't as high as yours are), and I have only been doing this for around 4 months, so I trust that you will do well, too!
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby gracezw » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:47 pm

Different people's bodies process things differently. Some processed vegans may eat a lot of added sugar and refined starch and their trig numbers are fine. I have been a whole vegan(about over 90%) for two years. In the past summer I ate a lot of fresh fruit -- apricots, peaches, watermelons -- and my trig number was pretty high. I am cutting down on them and will see how it goes.

Different doctors think differently too. Some doctors would tell their patients to wait for six months to see changes in cholesterol; other doctors would say two months is enough time.
gracezw

Return to Health Issues