A killed thyroid

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

A killed thyroid

Postby Sophiaaz » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:10 pm

My daughter was given radioactive iodine for her hyperthyroidism. Is there any natural foods that can help her?
Sophiaaz

Re: A killed thyroid

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:56 am

I would imagine she has no thyroid function any longer and needs to take HRT for that!

The basic McDougall approach to eating i.e. Starch Solution is the way to go. I think the MWL version, just tweaked a bit as needed to lose, maintain, or gain weight. But the basic principles are the healthiest way to go.
GeoffreyLevens

Re: A killed thyroid

Postby Willijan » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:29 pm

Sophiaaz wrote:My daughter was given radioactive iodine for her hyperthyroidism. Is there any natural foods that can help her?

I am not sure what concern you want to address. Are you worried about the radioactivity, or something else? Sorry if I'm being oblivious. What is it you want to help her with?
Willijan

Severe Hypothyroidism

Postby Janeen4947 » Tue May 01, 2018 5:35 am

My hypothyroidism is severe. 125 mcg/day. What can I do to reverse it and lose weight? I can’t seem to lose even on a strict WPBD.
Janeen4947

Re: Severe Hypothyroidism

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Tue May 01, 2018 10:26 am

Janeen4947 wrote:My hypothyroidism is severe. 125 mcg/day. What can I do to reverse it and lose weight? I can’t seem to lose even on a strict WPBD.

My initial dose to get thyroid "in range" was 150 mcg/day. TSH was 85 at diagnosis. Everyone is different. Hmmm, I think I should pm my experience(s)...Look for it
GeoffreyLevens

Re: Severe Hypothyroidism

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Fri May 18, 2018 1:50 pm

Janeen4947 wrote:My hypothyroidism is severe. 125 mcg/day. What can I do to reverse it and lose weight? I can’t seem to lose even on a strict WPBD.

I did not address your second question, about weight loss. Read these two blog posts by Jeff Novick and they should get you going in the direction you want to go

http://www.jeffnovick.com/RD/Articles/E ... ition.html

http://www.jeffnovick.com/RD/Articles/E ... nsity.html

They are also posted on Jeff's forum but mixed in w/ Q&A. I think this is good place

viewtopic.php?t=6032
GeoffreyLevens

Return to Health Issues