Hair is coming out!!!!

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Hair is coming out!!!!

Postby catz4u18 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:21 pm

Hi...

I need expert advice. I went 100% Vegan on January 1st. I'd been doing it most of the time with my husband who is 100% vegan for 4 years. My hair is falling out in clumps as of today. I noticed more hair loss than usual, but today is literally clumps, from root to end and my hair and skin feel dry. I take Centrum Silver for women over 50 every day and Vitamin D3, 2000 mgs per day because I am always low on blood tests every 6 months. The hair loss today is distressing to say the least. Any help would be appreciated. :crybaby:
catz4u18

Re: Hair is coming out!!!!

Postby BlueOrange » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:23 am

Late answer, so I hope your problem has resolved itself in the meantime.

If not, I hope you have seen a nurse or a doctor with your problem. I would strongly recommend it.

To my knowledge veganism isn't associated with hair loss.

But nobody on the internet can give you medical advice.

Take care.
BlueOrange
BlueOrange

Postby Vegankit » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:40 am

Are you compliant with this way of eating and eating the amount of calories in food that you need? Are you in generally good health?

If you are taking Centrum Silver for women over 50, I'm assuming you're around 50 years of age. That is the age when most women experience Female Pattern Hair Loss. It's extremely common and a coincidence that you're following this way of eating and noticing hair loss.

https://www.dermnetnz.org/topics/female ... hair-loss/

If you do have Female Pattern Hair Loss, then take heart - there are things you can do. A great place for support is http://www.wigsupport.com which you have to log on to join and be able to see the posts and participate. If you don't know much about wigs, then you are completely unaware of how many people are wearing toupees, wigs and hair extensions. Almost all the actors, celebrities and news people that you see on TV are and so are people in your community. They can be so realistic that they fool hair dressers. They aren't just for cancer patients.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby viv » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:09 am

I'm not an expert, but here's my experience. If hair is coming out in clumps it could be alopecia areata which is an autoimmune condition sometimes associated with Hashimotos (low thyroid). May be a good idea to have your TSH blood levels and antibodies checked for Hashimoto's. It is a very under diagnosed condition especially in mid life women. I had alopecia years ago and when I got my Hashimotos stabilized with the correct dose of meds the alopecia went away. Since going on McDougall Diet 5 years ago I feel the best in my life and no more hair loss etc.
Let us know how you are doing.

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby LakeConroePenny » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:25 am

catz4u18 wrote:Hi...

I need expert advice. I went 100% Vegan on January 1st. I'd been doing it most of the time with my husband who is 100% vegan for 4 years. My hair is falling out in clumps as of today. I noticed more hair loss than usual, but today is literally clumps, from root to end and my hair and skin feel dry. I take Centrum Silver for women over 50 every day and Vitamin D3, 2000 mgs per day because I am always low on blood tests every 6 months. The hair loss today is distressing to say the least. Any help would be appreciated. :crybaby:

_______

Did you put a coconut oil product on your hair? For some people it will make it come out in clumps.
________
LakeConroePenny

Return to Health Issues