Arthritis of the right collarbone

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Arthritis of the right collarbone

Postby Starfive5 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:04 am

I am 38, female. Almost 2 years I do not eat meat and do not drink alkohol. I am completely on McDougall diet or better say life style from 2017 May. I do not have any health problems eccept that one i give below. The pain in right shoulder started 7 years back, I did not have any shoulder trauma. The painful area is close to neck. I did massages and exercises, but the pain did not go away completely. Sometimes it was worse, sometimes I felt better. Slightly better I feel in summer on holiday when I did not have to sit 8 hours at work. Now condition is very bad, I cannot sleep on any side, only on back but if I turn my head to right or left the I feel pain in shoulder close to neck. It seems like right collarbone is popped up and when I press on it I feel pain. I did computer tomography and here results ( please excuse for Google translation from Lithuanian language )

Description of the study (computer tomography of the spinal chest).
The joint surface of the right collarbone sternal end is erosive. Expressed surrounding bone sclerosis. The signs of immersion of collarbone are not visible. Periarticular soft tissues without structure and volume changes. Slight scoliosis of chest part of the spine with convex to the right. Moderately expressed Th6 / Th10 level degenerative spondylosis. Clinically significant signs of stenosis of the central spinal canal and intervertebral apical canal are not visible. Paravertebral soft tissues are structural.

Conclusion

Non-specific signs of arthritis, osteitis of the right collarbone sternal end. Slight scoliosis of chest part of the spine, moderate degenerative changes.

I would like to hear your opinion if it is curable or not. Thank you very much.
Starfive5

Re: Arthritis of the right collarbone

Postby Starfive5 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:15 am

Just after doctor. He prescribed nonsteroid drug containing nimesulid for 10 days. I am not sure if it is curable at all. Anyway is it worthy to try platelet rich plasma (PRP) method? Anyone tried? Thanks
Starfive5

Postby Bkworm » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:09 am

Hello Starfive5,

I am not a doctor so only speak from my personal experience. I was diagnosed with RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis) in 2010. Found out about this way of eating (WOE) in January 2013. I never took the meds the rheumatologist prescribed, just changed to this WOE. I follow Dr. McDougall's MWL plan - staying away from anything that has gluten in it. Eat no bread of any sort and stay away from most flours. In addition, I completed an elimination diet to discover my personal food triggers. Found out the hard way, through recurring RA flares that I can't even eat rice or oats of any kind, even gluten free.The only grains I can eat are corn, buckwheat, and quinoa. Also, can eat cooked tomatoes but no fresh tomatoes. Can no longer eat citrus of any sort. Some spices are an issue with me. Must stay away from high-fat vegetables and nuts and nut butter. Anything with high fat, such as avocados, peanut butter, tahini, even flax seed and chia seed will set off RA flares in my body.

Main point I am trying to make is just because you are following the McDougall program, you may still be consuming foods that your body is personaly rejecting. Remember that all foods are suspect until you prove otherwise for your body.
Bkworm

Postby Vegankit » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:27 am

Bkworm wrote:Hello Starfive5,

I am not a doctor so only speak from my personal experience. I was diagnosed with RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis) in 2010. Found out about this way of eating (WOE) in January 2013. I never took the meds the rheumatologist prescribed, just changed to this WOE. I follow Dr. McDougall's MWL plan - staying away from anything that has gluten in it. Eat no bread of any sort and stay away from most flours. In addition, I completed an elimination diet to discover my personal food triggers. Found out the hard way, through recurring RA flares that I can't even eat rice or oats of any kind, even gluten free.The only grains I can eat are corn, buckwheat, and quinoa. Also, can eat cooked tomatoes but no fresh tomatoes. Can no longer eat citrus of any sort. Some spices are an issue with me. Must stay away from high-fat vegetables and nuts and nut butter. Anything with high fat, such as avocados, peanut butter, tahini, even flax seed and chia seed will set off RA flares in my body.

Main point I am trying to make is just because you are following the McDougall program, you may still be consuming foods that your body is personaly rejecting. Remember that all foods are suspect until you prove otherwise for your body.
I echo what Bkworm said. I went on the elimination diet numerous times and never saw any change - until I discovered that I couldn't tolerate rice which was the backbone of my elimination diet - thinking rice was safe because everyone from Pediatricians, Veterinarians etc recommend it for upset GI tracts I was using it as the basis of my elimination diet. No wonder I didn't see any difference. I also can't tolerate corn and have celiac's disease so no gluten. For some of us, finding those foods that we can't tolerate can be tricky, but rewarding once you discover and avoid them.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby Willijan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:20 pm

Starfive5 wrote:I am 38, female. Almost 2 years I do not eat meat and do not drink alkohol. I am completely on McDougall diet or better say life style from 2017 May. I do not have any health problems eccept that one i give below. The pain in right shoulder started 7 years back, I did not have any shoulder trauma. The painful area is close to neck. I did massages and exercises, but the pain did not go away completely. Sometimes it was worse, sometimes I felt better. Slightly better I feel in summer on holiday when I did not have to sit 8 hours at work. Now condition is very bad, I cannot sleep on any side, only on back but if I turn my head to right or left the I feel pain in shoulder close to neck. It seems like right collarbone is popped up and when I press on it I feel pain. I did computer tomography and here results ( please excuse for Google translation from Lithuanian language )

Description of the study (computer tomography of the spinal chest).
The joint surface of the right collarbone sternal end is erosive. Expressed surrounding bone sclerosis. The signs of immersion of collarbone are not visible. Periarticular soft tissues without structure and volume changes. Slight scoliosis of chest part of the spine with convex to the right. Moderately expressed Th6 / Th10 level degenerative spondylosis. Clinically significant signs of stenosis of the central spinal canal and intervertebral apical canal are not visible. Paravertebral soft tissues are structural.

Conclusion

Non-specific signs of arthritis, osteitis of the right collarbone sternal end. Slight scoliosis of chest part of the spine, moderate degenerative changes.

I would like to hear your opinion if it is curable or not. Thank you very much.

I have no expertise in this subject. So these are just my individual thoughts based on very limited personal experience.
I have heard and read so many times of doctors using medical images to diagnose problems when the actual problem has nothing to do with what they see in the image, and furthermore that the recommended treatments either do not work or have only a placebo effect. So my instinct would be not to trust this diagnosis. Also, any prescriptions that they give you for this may have dangerous side effects.
I know this is not very helpful, since you have a serious problem. The only things I know of to try are to make sure you are compliant to the strictest version of this diet, and that possibly massage therapy or acupuncture could be tried.
You have my sympathy. I too am dealing with intractable (widespread) muscle pain. My doctor says, without use of images, that it is osteoarthritis. I doubt it. I am sorry I cannot be of more help to you.
Willijan

Postby viv » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:06 pm

You mentioned the pain is slightly better on summer holidays when you are not working. Could it be a work related injury? They are very common and can come on gradually. Doing repetitive motions over and over are a big cause of injuries and can become chronic and very painful. The website below provides some information. Good luck and I hope you find some relief soon.

Viv

https://www.olympiainjurylawyer.com/rep ... ould-know/

What are repetitive stress injuries?
Repetitive stress injuries (RSIs), also referred to as repetitive motion injuries or repetitive strain injuries, are one of the fastest growing occupational injuries, according to the Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA). In fact, roughly one-third of all days-away-from-work cases involve some type of musculoskeletal injury, such as an RSI, the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reports. Any job that requires you sit or stand in the same position for long periods of time or repeatedly perform the same manual tasks puts you at risk for developing an RSI.
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby Willijan » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:43 pm

You might try reading this book:

Foods That Fight Pain: Revolutionary New Strategies for Maximum Pain Relief
By: Neal D. Barnard
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i ... 5VXE6K4WKV

Dr. Barnard advocates a diet very similar to Dr. McDougall's. I just heard of this book today, read the excerpt on Amazon, and bought the book. I am hoping it can help with my pain. Also, just from reading the excerpt it has given me more understanding of things that might, and also probably are not, causing my pain.

In the first part of the book, Dr. Barnard talks about the arteries that go to the spine, and how degeneration of the spinal discs is affected by poor blood flow due to arterial plaque and blockage, just like in the coronary arteries. He thinks it is highly likely that reversal of blockages in those spinal arteries, and in arteries anywhere in the body, will occur with long-term adherence to this diet.

Since you have only been on this diet since May of this year, perhaps you just need more time to open some blood vessels. And perhaps he presents other ideas in the book that may help you. For instance strategies for pain reduction that you can use in the meantime. I myself am excited to read the rest of the book.
Willijan

Return to Health Issues