Question about high blood pressure

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Question about high blood pressure

Postby jujubear » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:22 pm

Hi I hope I can get some advice and input here. My husband has been going to the doctor for check ups and every time he goes his blood pressure is very high. Today it was 138/85. His last check up was 126/78 ( last month) .

He eats hclf mcdougall way about 90% of the week and on occasion has baked potato chips.

He knows that he needs to cut that out to be fully compliant.

Is there any other reason his BP is so high? He is 35yrs old and very active in the gym. ( he does this for his health and mood)

Thank you for reading and hope to get some feedback.
jujubear

Re: Question about high blood pressure

Postby Drew_ab » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:45 pm

jujubear wrote:Hi I hope I can get some advice and input here. My husband has been going to the doctor for check ups and every time he goes his blood pressure is very high. Today it was 138/85. His last check up was 126/78 ( last month) .

He eats hclf mcdougall way about 90% of the week and on occasion has baked potato chips.

He knows that he needs to cut that out to be fully compliant.

Is there any other reason his BP is so high? He is 35yrs old and very active in the gym. ( he does this for his health and mood)

Thank you for reading and hope to get some feedback.

Does he take his BP at home? Mine is always a good 10-20 points higher in the doctors office from a bit of white coat syndrome. Yet I've done 100's of readings at home at various points in time that indicate that isn't the case.

Could there be other factors? (i.e. coffee drinking) - some people are sensitive to it.
Drew_ab

Re: Question about high blood pressure

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:48 pm

What Drew said. Have him take his BP at home, several different times during the day, maybe even for a couple days. That will give you a much better idea what is going on with it. Caffeine, salt, stress, pain, various med can all make it go up.
GeoffreyLevens

Return to Health Issues