Low Serum Creatinine

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Low Serum Creatinine

Postby sks » Tue May 23, 2017 10:52 am

Hi,
I have been Vegan for about a year now. Recently, when I did my blood work, I found out that I had low Serum Creatinine Levels - 0.54(the normal range is 0.7-1.2) which basically shows low muscle mass.

The nutritionist I went to said it is because of being Vegan and it could lead to further illnesses.

Does anyone have any more information on the same?

Thanks in advance
sks

Re: Low Serum Creatinine

Postby Helpinghands » Wed May 24, 2017 3:33 pm

Blood levels of just about everything including creatinine reflect the blood work of a typical American diet. Creatinine levels are in a range because folks are eating animal products that contain creatine. On a whole food plant based diet you aren't eating ANY foods with creatine and therefore creatinine levels will reflect low in you blood. You'll generally measure low or near the bottom edge of normal. Now, if you were eating meat and had low levels you could have a liver problem or have some muscle wasting disease. But since you aren't there is nothing to worry about. It's no different than Cholesterol. Normal range for the average American eating SAD is 190/250. Normal range for Cholesterol for those eating a plant based diet is 120/180. These numbers will always reflect what you eat.
Helpinghands

Return to Health Issues