Acid Condition question

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Acid Condition question

Postby Janeykhan » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:58 am

I started the McDougall program Jan 17, 2016 (almost one year). I lost 60 lbs, gained back 15 lbs.

In November I began going into an acid condition regularly, where all the bones in my face and all my teeth would hurt terribly, really, really painful to the point where I would take pain killers. I'm eating mainly alkaline foods all day, how can I possibly be going into an acid condition?

I began adding nuts to my diet to see if it might be a lack of healthy fatty acids. Am I not absorbing calcium? I tried calcium supplements (not much - it makes me nervous), I am trying to understand what is triggering this.

I would also get charley horses in my calves (not too often), but worrisome.
I've broadened my diet to include some restaurant vegan meals (naturally, my weight has climbed up 15 pounds).

I watched Dr. McDougall's talk on Arthritis yesterday on YouTube. Dr. McDougall mentions briefly that people who used to have gout would still have uric acid coming out of tissues for many months after beginning the WFPB low oil diet. Is it possible this is the cause of my problem?

My uric acid levels and inflammation levels are very high. I never had gout.
My CRP is also very high, so I listed the cholesterol here to give perspective. Note that my CRP has increased.
The measurements are in Canadian units.

Nov 19, 2015 - Urate = 356 umol/L; May 06, 2016 - Urate = 312 umol/L

Nov 19, 2015 - CRP = 9.0 mg/L; May 06, 2016 - , CRP = 12.4 mg/L

Nov 19, 2015 - mmol/L - Cholesterol = 5.74, Triglycerides = 1.25, HDL 1.11, LDL 4.06, non-HDL 4.63, TC/HDL-C Ratio = 5.2
May 06, 2016 - mmol/L - Cholesterol = 5.20, Triglycerides = 2.02, HDL 0.92, LDL 3.35, non HDL 4.28, TC/HDL-C Ratio = 5.7

Adding some oils back into my diet has stopped the severity of the acid condition, however I am gaining weight.
Vinegar seems to be a definite cause (even balsamic), also black tea. Green tea makes me sick.
Would sugars in BBQ sauce be a factor?

Advice would be appreciated.

thank you, Jane
Janeykhan

Re: Acid Condition question

Postby AnnaSpanna » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:47 pm

I'm not really sure what an acid condition is but since no one else is answering I hope I can help a little.
If you're trying to eat alkaline foods that's what we have in common.

I have GERD which is acid reflux around the clock. By eating an alkaline diet as recommended by Dr. Jamie Koufman I find it helps. She isn't plant based but her books and diet can be made compatible to our WOE.
She says to avoid nuts and high fat foods, including oils, so I'm wondering if you might need to eliminate them. Plus if you're hoping to lose that 15 pounds you gained back it might be best to avoid them too.

Most BBQ sauces would be considered too acidic due to the vinegar in them.
I know it's a pain but keeping it bland may be the key.

I'm hoping with this bumped up to the top of the forum page someone else who may know what they're talking about can help. :)
Until then best wishes that you get the answers you need.
AnnaSpanna

Re: Acid Condition question

Postby calvin » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:30 pm

Here is Dr. McDougall speaking here begining at about minute 34, off the cuff, on the subject of acid food, in response to a question submitted to the Webinar, namely...does this WOE affect the body's acid/alkaline balance?...

McDougall At Home - Part 1

May be helpful.
calvin

Return to Health Issues