Raynaud's ? Fingers and Feet soles

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Raynaud's ? Fingers and Feet soles

Postby kyleborner » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:06 am

Hi everyone :cool: ,

So, living in Buffalo, I've always been used to my finger tips (index middle) turning white under extreme cold. Recently, the middle of my feet's soles have occasionally started cramping.

A friend of mine who has similar symptoms says it's Raynaud's Syndrome?

Does anyone know anything about this? The finger/feet symptoms are never consistent, so I think it may be dietary. I do follow a plant based diet, but would any deficiency create such symptoms?

Thanks,
Kyle
kyleborner

Re: Raynaud's ? Fingers and Feet soles

Postby Jenna » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:28 am

I have Raynaud's. As far as I know (and I have done quite a bit of research), there is no known cause of and no known cure for Raynaud's. If it gets really serious, your doctor might prescribe a calcium channel blocker to improve circulation, but it is best just to take preventative measures as much as possible. The two best preventative measures I have found are 1. wear mittens, and 2. keep your core warm. Mittens keep in the heat much better than gloves (I like the kind where you can fold over a flap to access your fingers if needed), and the best way to keep your hands and feet warm is to keep your whole body warm.

Raynaud's is also associated with some autoimmune diseases, like lupus, but plenty of people have Raynaud's and not lupus.

Hope that helps!
Jenna
Jenna

Postby wade4veg » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:43 am

kyleborner wrote:
So, living in Buffalo, I've always been used to my finger tips (index middle) turning white under extreme cold. Recently, the middle of my feet's soles have occasionally started cramping.

A friend of mine who has similar symptoms says it's Raynaud's Syndrome?

Does anyone know anything about this?

Not caused by your diet. Greatest causation, other then genes, is living in Buffalo.
I can't imagine a worse place to live with Raynauds.
If you moved to south Florida, you'd probably never notice it.

When it happens, its best to rewarm the hands. I have found the best method is a pan of warm, to very warm water.
In a few minutes all the color comes back with the circulation. Then you are good to go for some time.

BTW, in most people this gets worse with age. Plan on retiring to a warmer climate.
wade4veg

Postby Yomom » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:21 pm

I am in Toronto, Ontario - I have Raynoud's - have been McDougalling for years. To prevent symptoms occuring I have to be vigilant about Always keeping my hands and feet warm. This means always wearing socks or slippers instead of bare feet when walking on tile, stone or concrete floors, especially in air conditioning or in the cold of our long winters. I have learned to Always wear gloves in winter and cooler weather of the shoulder seasons - even if I just dash outside for a few minutes.
Yomom

Postby Bells » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:03 pm

I have Raynaud's too and I second warm water being the best way to get color/sensation back. I have autoimmune issues as well, but not Lupus. I love the gloves with the mitten option too!
“since the thing perhaps is to eat flowers and not to be afraid”
-e.e. cummings
Bells

Postby Dougalling » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:53 am

Dougalling

Postby dynodan62 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:09 am

One of my index fingers occasionally turns white/numb in cold weather, plus I often wake up with a hand that has fallen asleep (gone numb) as I usually sleep on my side with a hand under/supporting my pillow. This trouble started after I began taking beta blockers (post MI meds) and an ACE inhibitor along with adopting the WFPB diet, and as a result became rather hypotensive, and the BP lowering effects of too much alcohol occasionally also seem to exasperate the problem. I have finally weaned myself off of the drugs, and hope resulting improved circulatory perfusion will help the condition. A lifetime of SAD eating likely leaves the tiny arterioles in the extremities clogged with plaque, and any minor vasoconstriction apparently requires a minimum BP to overcome (?).
dynodan62

Postby baardmk » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:54 am

I frequently have cold feet and hands and can get this Raynaud thing at times. I had it before and I haven't seen improvements in it after commencing this diet. I think it's often part of an autoimmune condition, something like a neural software error. They did a study a long time ago where they gave people lots of fish oil, and the symptoms decreased, cold tolerability increased. The reason could very well be that the long-chain omega-3 oils suppressed the immune system and the Raynaud wasn't triggered as easily. I don't think suppressing the immune system is a good idea, btw.

I bicycle a lot which I don't think is helpful. I often use armwrist warmers which works quite good.
baardmk

Return to Health Issues