Migraines

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Migraines

Postby milsdj » Mon May 25, 2015 12:06 pm

I just posted in the testimonial section about all the success that I have seen by switching to a plant/starch based diet. I do have one problem:

I have an issue with migraine headaches and am searching for a solution. I have had migraines for my whole life. I even remember having them as a child; 8 or 9 years old. When I was diagnosed with high blood pressure, in my forty’s, I was put on a Beta Blocker. I understand that this same medication is given to relieve migraines and in fact, for years while taking this medication I had only a couple migraines. I am now off of this medication as I no longer need it for blood pressure concerns, but my migraines have come back. I am having the headaches 3-5 days a week, with each headache typically lasting from 6 hours to all day. Last Thursday I had one that was so bad that I absolutely could not stand the pain and could not get to sleep to sleep through the pain; I don't want to go through another day like that again.

Looking at the situation, I see only one thing to do; go back on a medication for the headaches. I desperately do not want to have to take a medication and want to find a natural way to take care of the problem. I understand that there is typically a trigger for migraines, but I have not yet been able to identify what that trigger might be.

I’m wondering if there is any advice…

Thanks,
Doug
milsdj

Re: Migraines

Postby PurplePotato » Mon May 25, 2015 6:21 pm

I highly recommend picking up the book Foods That Fight Pain, by Neal Barnard. It goes through some common triggers, a few natural remedies, and the details of going through an elimination diet if necessary. No guaranties, but plenty of things that might help. I picked it up a while ago from the library and can't remember much of the details, but I do remember it standing out that depending on the person, coffee could be either a trigger or a remedy.
PurplePotato

Postby viv » Mon May 25, 2015 8:40 pm

Hi Doug,

I'm sorry to hear you are in pain, it must be awful for you. I'm a great proponent of homeopathic remedies. While some don't find them useful, I have always had great luck with them. They are completely harmless, so they might be worth a try. Here is one brand I like, Hylands, a google search will come up with lots of other options.

http://hylands.com/products/hylands-mig ... che-relief

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby scooterpie » Mon May 25, 2015 10:26 pm

That migraine box is hilarious and it's in tablet form--not the typical liquid of homeopathy. It looks just like an OTC Tylenol box or other actual MEDICATION proven to work for headache.

I case anyone reading doesn't know, with homeopathy you're paying for a pill/liquid with ABSOLUTELY NOTHING of consequence in it--basically a sugar pill--lactose (milk sugar) and that's an animal product. That's what is in the one in the link. If you want to pad pockets of the manufacturers of useless remedies and then actually take the pills, you will be getting a placebo effect only. Of course that's okay for some people and it works for some. I think it's a particularly egregious ripoff in the 21st century.

To the OP, you might want to get checked out for a PFO (Paten foramen ovale) or atrial septal defect. When repaired it gives some people relief from migraines. It's been awhile since I've read up on that one, so the info may not be valid anymore. Chelated magnesium supplementation helps some with migraines.

The other thing is that some people with migraines find out they have sleep apnea and then when treated successfully their headaches disappear.
scooterpie

Postby JillinMI » Tue May 26, 2015 9:42 am

Before I started eating a plant/starch-based diet I discovered that dairy (specifically the protein, casein) caused my migraines. I'm guessing you've been dairy-free since following a McDougall plan but I have learned through this web site that some other foods, including plant foods, can be problematic for some people. Citrus, chocolate/cocoa, wine, nuts, nightshades (tomatoes, peppers, potatoes) and wheat, are some of the foods that can cause various problems, ranging from aggravating rheumatoid arthritis, to migraines. You may want to search this site for Dr. McDougall's instructions on doing an elimination diet to see if you can determine if it is indeed a food that is behind your migraines.

So happy you're having success,
Jill
JillinMI

Postby Gweithgar » Tue May 26, 2015 12:08 pm

I get opthalmic migraines; weird visual disturbance but no pain (thank goodness!). I usually have a couple or more a month, but they only last about 10 minutes, so I just try to chill out and let it pass. Not taking any medication for them, because there isn't any pain associated. I haven't noticed any difference in frequency or duration related to how compliant I am being with the diet. Actually, since a drop in blood pressure can be a trigger, I probably get a few more of the darned things when I'm being compliant. So I don't know if this is translatable to the "normal" migraine or not, just wondering if migraines might be something that this diet does not "fix."
Cet animal est tres mechant; quand on l'attaque, il se defend
(This animal is very wicked; if attacked it defends itself)
Gweithgar

Postby nicoles » Tue May 26, 2015 5:36 pm

So sorry to hear you are experiencing this, Doug. In case you have not read Dr McDougall's take on migraines and headaches, it's here. And this is a Star McDougaller Migraine sufferer's story here.
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby Bells » Tue May 26, 2015 10:07 pm

I too suffered from migraines even as a child. They had me on serious drugs as a teen- that didn't exactly pan out as a good idea, but that's long ago and far away. Turns out I have a severe corn allergy and gluten issue. Doctors were useless, elimination diets were what helped. I would encourage you to try a food diary and conduct your own research. It is tedious but so very worth it! I have ocular migraines in early spring every year from airborne allergies and some wicked sinus headaches occasionally, but no more regular migraines. It is a PITA to do elimination diets, but I haven't had to take daily pain meds for a very long time and that is a huge payoff for the effort- good luck!
“since the thing perhaps is to eat flowers and not to be afraid”
-e.e. cummings
Bells

Postby VegMommy » Wed May 27, 2015 11:49 am

Gweithgar wrote:I get opthalmic migraines; weird visual disturbance but no pain (thank goodness!). I usually have a couple or more a month, but they only last about 10 minutes, so I just try to chill out and let it pass. Not taking any medication for them, because there isn't any pain associated. I haven't noticed any difference in frequency or duration related to how compliant I am being with the diet. Actually, since a drop in blood pressure can be a trigger, I probably get a few more of the darned things when I'm being compliant. So I don't know if this is translatable to the "normal" migraine or not, just wondering if migraines might be something that this diet does not "fix."

OMG, I can't believe this. I had one of those yesterday morning! It was the second time. The first time was about five or six years ago, I think. It's very weird, and the first time was very scary. Yesterday I was reaching into the dishwasher and saw those jagged, colorful lines and said to my daughter "I think I'm having an optical migraine!" Like you said, they don't last long. Yesterday it was about 15 minutes, I'd say. I suffered with pain migraines for a little over a decade..late 80's to around 2000. I didn't have them too frequently, but they were horrible. I never found a trigger and they just stopped for no reason

Anyway...I don't think it's diet related at all. I think it's all about stress.
VegMommy

Postby nicoles » Wed May 27, 2015 1:31 pm

VegMommy and Gweithgar, I get optical migraines-like symptoms (from sinus pressure and hormonal shifts), too! And from stress, They are soooo weird!

milsdj, This is not Dr McDougall, but another plant-based Dr, Dr. Fuhrman's, take on headaches and migraines and diet. In case it helps any.
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby Gweithgar » Wed May 27, 2015 1:36 pm

It is so good to know what is happening and that it won't last and you aren't going to die (at least not from that). It wasn't until I had one, in the hospital, after majoy surgery that a nurse recognized what was going on and explained it to me. I was sure that I was dying when the visual disturbance started. Or, as a friend of mine commented, "I used to pay good money for that sensation back in the 60's!" LOL!
Cet animal est tres mechant; quand on l'attaque, il se defend
(This animal is very wicked; if attacked it defends itself)
Gweithgar

Return to Health Issues