Sugar and Anxiety / Depression

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Sugar and Anxiety / Depression

Postby HappyTummy » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:54 pm

Hi,

I've been struggling with anxiety / depression for some time now. Trying to deal with it through diet and lifestyle. I have avoided sugar for ever. I don't seem to have trouble with maple syrup, honey or dates. I tried something with regular refined sugar and my mood took a noticeable drop. Does any one else have this trouble with sugar? or is it just me?
HappyTummy

Re: Sugar and Anxiety / Depression

Postby Lesliec1 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:30 am

Sugar always makes me depressed. I'm confused when you say you've been avoiding sugar forever but also you have been "struggling ... for some time now." So it isn't only the sugar? Or am I not reading it correctly? Why not try Dr. McDougall's eating plan available for free on this website, under the education tab above?
Lesliec1

Postby MINNIE » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:41 am

Your experience with sugar is very common. In fact, I think it is completely normal.

A lot of people don't make the connection between their mood swings and sugar intake. So they self-medicate by taking in more sugar, and the cycle continues.

I personally choose not to use any sweeteners, as all forms of added sugar seem to affect me the same way.

Once I stopped using sweeteners I felt better and don't crave them any more.

Now I can taste the natural sweetness inherent in most plant foods, and that is all I need:).
MINNIE

Postby HappyTummy » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:05 pm

Thanks for your responses.

Lesliec1— I have been following a McD style diet for many years now. My anxiety was worse when I was still eating gluten. I felt like I was always in a state of emergency. But food is not the only trigger. I seem to have a chronic low level anxiety / depression that will flare up now and then. Most of the time I stick to whole foods and rarely eat refined sugar. I haven't had the same reaction to other sweeteners like dried fruit, maple syrup, honey, although I understand it's all sugar. I'm wondering if this is common or if I'm imagining things. I have avoided all sweeteners for a few days now, and I'm managing better. Thank you for sharing your experience with me.

Minnie — Thank you for sharing your experience also. I will relax and be more cautious. My mental health is as important as my physical health.

I had a really extreme depressive episode recently after eating some refined sugar that I wasn't expecting. As soon as the sugar was out of my system, it was over. Back to general anxiety. Lesson learned.
HappyTummy

Postby PotatoPrincess » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:28 am

This has nothing to do with diet but you should check out Dr. Joe Dispenza's work on how we memorize emotions and our body becomes the mind and, more importantly, how to un-memorize these survivial emotions that have become our chronic state of being.

I read two of this books, which I highly recommend:

1. Breaking the Habit of Being Yourself (How to Lose Your Mind and Create a New One)
2. You Are the Placebo (Making Your Mind Matter)

www.drjoedispenza.com

This is what has helped me finally overcome a 30-year debilitating panic disorder. Prior to Dr. Joe, I had done everything people with chronic anxiety are supposed to do: CBT, talk therapy, medication, various relaxation techniques, diet changes (food/mood), etc etc. Some of these things helped, some didn't, but it's Dr. Joe's work that finally "cured" me.

Even though my main problem was anxiety/panic, I also suffered frequent bouts of depression.

You can find Dr. Joe videos/interviews on Youtube if you want to check him out before you buy anything of his.
PotatoPrincess

Postby MINNIE » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:36 am

This another excellent book.

http://rpeurifoy.com/anxiety-phobias-panic/

It's written in plain English, and is a quick and easy read but full of good insights.

It was recommended by a friend who had a panic disorder, and she found it very helpful.

I also was helped a lot with chronic depression and anxiety. I read this about a year before starting The Starch Solution. I was making good progress with the help of this (and other) books. Then when I changed my eating habits, the problems completely went away. I think both were factors in improving my problem.

Maybe it's all coincidence, but I don't think so:). I'm feeling great now!
MINNIE

Postby roundcoconut » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:20 am

PotatoPrincess wrote:how we memorize emotions and our body becomes the mind and, more importantly, how to un-memorize these survivial emotions that have become our chronic state of being.

PotatoPrincess, I *love* this line and want to thank you for writing it! It just about sums up the human condition, in a way I've never seen anyone capture in words before.
roundcoconut

Postby HappyTummy » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:10 pm

Wow, thank you very much for all the resources. I will check them out. I agree with roundcoconut, PotatoPrincess' quote is a very powerful way to describe the situation.

Good to know I'm not alone.
HappyTummy

Postby Atheria » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:41 am

Anxiety and depression are very often connected. I've tested it, and if my carb intake drops and fat intake goes up, my panic attacks start to come back. It's almost eerie how I can feel the anxiety creeping in...almost like I'm being possessed... like it's a separate being. Quality, whole, low fat food definitely improves my brain chemistry.

Atheria
~ ATHERIA ~
www.bridge4spirit.wordpress.com
Atheria

Postby PotatoPrincess » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:43 pm

roundcoconut wrote:PotatoPrincess, I *love* this line and want to thank you for writing it! It just about sums up the human condition, in a way I've never seen anyone capture in words before.

Yeah, that was the first thing about Dr. Joe that really caught my attention. I have never heard anyone explain/teach the mind/body connection the way he does.
PotatoPrincess

Return to Health Issues