Anita's Commitment to Change

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Anita's Commitment to Change

Postby potatohead55 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:25 am

Woke up late today (9 am) which is what I get for staying up late, right?

So this means I missed my usual breakfast of oatmeal...which is fine because I can wait until lunch. I'm not starving, so that's not an issue.
After about a month on the regular program and losing about 7 pounds I came to a standstill. The weight didn't seem to budge. So of course that toyed with my subconscious because even though I know it will take time I kind of gave up.

No, I didn't go back to eating animal foods. That is the easiest part of this WOE. But, high fat plant foods (peanut butter...my nemesis...) and breads (not to mention healthy plant based, home made zucchini cake) were calling my name. :eek: :lol:

I have been hesitant to try the MWL because I was afraid it would feel like a "diet", but I really have to knuckle down and do this. I like the idea of only focusing on the 10 point checklist. This is where my focus must be..

I've got 60(ish) pounds to lose, so let's get this done!
potatohead55

Re: Anita's Commitment to Change

Postby potatohead55 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:29 pm

So far, so good. I've been focused on following the MWL guidelines (with the exception of 30 mins exercise every day). The only "fudging" I've done is to lightly bread the okra from our garden and bake it in the oven or air fryer. I use a flax egg to coat the okra and then coat it in bread crumbs mixed with some garlic powder, a dash of salt and a little nutritional yeast.

Yum! Even the non Starchivores in the family like it, which is a win in my book!

Down a few pounds...hoping it will keep going and not stall anytime soon. :unibrow:
potatohead55

Postby potatohead55 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:44 am

Back to the beginning...all of my admittedly few losses have been found. :P

I could eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches all day every day (hey, no animals here, right?) but that won't get me where I want to be.

So....doing MWL, committing to following the guidelines as close to 100% as possible.

Only this time I'll join the weigh-in thread...I need some accountability.
potatohead55

Postby potatohead55 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:46 pm

Still hanging around...no weight loss, really, but that's my fault entirely.

The PLEASURE TRAP had me caught in its tangled web, and when you combine it with world events, let's just say my focus has not been where it should be.

The biggest issue for me isn't the animal food - no problem staying away from that - but it's the sweets...and the peanut butter.

The sweet and salt combo calls my name.

Oy.

As I'm the chief cook and bottle washer around here you'd think it wouldn't be a problem. That I would simply not bring the stuff to the house.

But like many of you here, I'm not the only one in this house. :D

Little steps, little victories...progress not perfection, right?

My son gets no dairy (almond milk in his cereal and at dinner), and both he and the hubs like Mary's "cheese" sauce that I use for homemade mac and cheese.

And the meat consumption for them has gone way, way down - another bonus.

And...NO ADDED OILS! Yeah for air fryers, lol. We eat a lot of potatoes around here...just sayin'. :cool: :D

I just wish I could convince my husband that "starches" are NOT fattening and are in fact healthy for you. He rolls his eyes and/or nags at me if he thinks I'm eating too big of a portion because for him, cutting back and essentially starving himself was how he lost weight.

Only now, he's gained weight and is having a hard time losing it - even by eating essentially one meal a day (plus a few snacks here and there); cereal, crackers, and dip, fruit, etc.

He's heard me talk about one diet after another over the years, but he's not going to go off of what anyone else says - he has to see it with his own eyes. I know that if I could get him on the same page he would feel a lot better, but it's not about him, it's about me.

So I'll be working on getting my environment cleaned up as much as possible, but also making sure I have some nice "treats" for myself such as banana "nice" cream, frozen grapes, etc. and eating according to MWL guidelines. So that I have some ammo when the nutty bars are calling my name...

Lots of soup in my future - had some at lunch and by the time dinner came around I was MUCH less hungry than usual...in fact, I could have waited longer to eat, but because my husband only eats one meal a day essentially, I made dinner around 5 pm. Yes, I could have eaten at a different time, but we like to enjoy dinner together as a family.

Keepin' on, keepin' on! :nod: :unibrow:
potatohead55

Postby potatohead55 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:18 pm

Pretty much a good day yesterday - ate on plan; think I had one cookie at breakfast time but not sure...days seem to be blending together, lol.

Today, however, has been good.

B: oatmeal with banana and PB2

L: Bean and vegetable soup
Apple

S: 1/2 banana

D: The plan is:

air fryer okra
lettuce and tomato salad with Chef AJ's yummy sauce for the dressing
air fryer potatoes cooked up crunchy
pineapple for dessert

Trying to keep things simple...works best for me. ;-)
potatohead55

Postby potatohead55 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:03 pm

Yeah me! Ten days following MWL pretty much all the way. A couple of days had 3 fruits instead of 2, but I'm good with that. Also, need to exercise more days and for longer, but one step at a time.

Lost 4.8 pounds in those 10 days, but some was very likely water weight. I'll still take it, though, lol.

Trying to focus on following the plan while remembering that the weight will come off if I just stick to the plan.
potatohead55

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals